Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Canadian gas prices are pretty cheap, I think our refiners are getting hosed. Definitely should be charging more for gas and diesel especially.

Considering other countries are paying 2-3 $ liter for gasoline I think it would be fair to charge atleast 1.50 $ in canada.

My coworker is thinking about buying a suburban sized vehicle because he is amazed at how cheap gas is here. haha

Strathcona esso is on a 45 day turn around, all the double time ot and maintenance isn't cheap.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM

General rule of thumb is they will charge whatever the consumer can tolerate.

Crude oil pricing is no different, on a global basis the price of crude oil @ $100.00/bbl is being excepted by most economies so Opec and other suppliers will adjust shipment volumes accordingly to maintain the $100 oil, I think as global economies improve the crude oil price will follow and rise, that's my take on it anyways
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I live beside a 7-11 and watched the sign start to spin like a slot machine. Watched it stop at 1.20 the other day. I too am re thinking the next vehicle purchase from an Suv to a economy car but I absolutely hate getting in and out of a small car. Might have to look at a mini van again. Lots of space/elbow room and decent fuel economy. When we had a Windstar, it did 35mpg and carried 7 if needed. Unfortunately every now and then I need a 4x4 button for works off highway travels.
We have the Windstar, great mileage for what you can put in it, even better when you pull out the back seats and bench seat. 360,000 kms so far, but it would be nice if they added a 4wd option. Perfect for random camping/fishing.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Could be worse, try a buck forty diesel and pullin' 62,500 kg at 5mpg...
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 AM
Banned

i hate the gas prices too but I have modified my driving habits accordingly and don't spend as much as I would have been.

I work closer to home now.
I plan my routes to where I need to go.
keep to speed limits and don't hammer the throttle.

If I really squeeze it out..I can make a tank of gas in my F-150 last nearly a month.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM

I bought a scooter. I initially bought it thinking I would fix it (it needs a couple things) and re sell it ,but I am leaning more towards riding it for around town stuff .It gets 135mpg
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

Out of curiosity I searched world gasoline prices and some of the prices are quite surprising.The highest is Norway at $2.87 a litre whilst the lowest is Venezuella at .03 a litre.Yes 3 cents a litre in Venezuella as the government subsidizes the cost of gasoline.Makes the arguement of a $1 swing +/- for the price of a barrel of oil equals +/- .01 at the pumps seem like total BS.

The price of gas locally shot up 5 cents a litre between Wednesday and Friday but the price of a barrel of oil most definately did not rise by $5 a barrel.In short we are getting hosed and the oil companies are slowly priming the price for the summer driving season.

FTH
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM

I find the ones that complain about gas prices drive gas guzzlers. The price of gas is pretty much irrelevent if you drive something that is efficient.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
I find the ones that complain about gas prices drive gas guzzlers. The price of gas is pretty much irrelevent if you drive something that is efficient.
Not true. I complain about the price of gas all the time and I drive a Corolla that gets 40mpg We also have a truck but it only goes out when we have to. If everyone drove a car that got 50+ mpg I would bet the price of gas would be even higher .The Oil companies know exactly how far they can push without a lot of blow back and they do it all the time. Up 10cents down 4 cents up 10 down 4 . They got caught always driving the price for the long weekends so now they do it a week before up 15 cents then back 5 cents , presto long weekend price hike . They are so slimy and greedy they make most politicians look like saints.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You don't buy anything that came off a truck, ship, train or airplane?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
You don't buy anything that came off a truck, ship, train or airplane?
Try finding another method to move a 25 tonne truckload of cargo over 1000 miles for less than the cost of 1100 liters of diesel. Donkeys? Horses? Hydrogen fuel cell? Electric truck? solar powered bike? 100 mexicans pulling it from mexico?

even 3 $ diesel would be a bargain compared to other methods of energy systems

say you got an 8mpg gas pig. for a measely price of 8 $ you could move 6500lbs of steel eight miles at 2 $ liter.

tell me how much you would pay for gasoline if you had to hire horses or your friends to push that 6500lbs lump of iron 8 miles...... or would 8 $ for 4 liters of gas sound pretty cheap at that point? lol
Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Up - Down, Up - Down, sounds like a karate kid thing.
Down today to $ 1.17 will probably drop a couple more cents tomorrow. The Governments won't do nothing cause if the price goes up so does there take. I wouldn't be surprized if it goes above $1.30 per L. by the May long. Then above $1.40 in July here around Edmonton.
Anyone notice how may storage tanks the refineries are building or have built in the last year. Has to be at least 8 plus expansions that they are doing. I'm sure glad I don't own a diesel though. There prices over the summer are gonna be realy high.
A 20% increase in gas + a zero % increase in wages = Dead broke Cause the price of every thing else will have to climb because of the transportation costs. I feel sorry for the people that have those big morgage payments as the price of a tank of gas will be a morgage soon.
Boycot the large stations like esso, shell and petrocan.
Call it, National gasoline day. Why not? Theres a day for everything else.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Boycot the large stations like esso, shell and petrocan. Call it, National gasoline day. Why not? Theres a day for everything else.
How dare you. How Dare You!!! You do realise there are executives online who have hobbies that aren't cheap and extra properties in Scottsdale to keep up and moorage for their yachts.

For the love of god man, think of the executive's and shareholders, think-of the-executives-and-share-holders.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
How dare you. How Dare You!!! You do realise there are executives online who have hobbies that aren't cheap and extra properties in Scottsdale to keep up and moorage for their yachts.

For the love of god man, think of the executive's and shareholders, think-of the-executives-and-share-holders.
Darn greedy rich people, wish the government would seize all there money and stuff...everything would be cheap like borsch then, especially gas.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Darn greedy rich people, wish the government would seize all there money and stuff...everything would be cheap like borsch then, especially gas.
You know how the stock market works right?

Greed & Fear.

That's about all on the subject.

Your turn.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
You know how the stock market works right?

Greed & Fear.

That's about all on the subject.

Your turn.
No I don't know how the stock market works

Think I will pass, thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
No I don't know how the stock market works

Think I will pass, thanks
I'll use simpler terms,

Hold or Sell
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Try finding another method to move a 25 tonne truckload of cargo over 1000 miles for less than the cost of 1100 liters of diesel. Donkeys? Horses? Hydrogen fuel cell? Electric truck? solar powered bike? 100 mexicans pulling it from mexico?

even 3 $ diesel would be a bargain compared to other methods of energy systems

say you got an 8mpg gas pig. for a measely price of 8 $ you could move 6500lbs of steel eight miles at 2 $ liter.

tell me how much you would pay for gasoline if you had to hire horses or your friends to push that 6500lbs lump of iron 8 miles...... or would 8 $ for 4 liters of gas sound pretty cheap at that point? lol
I think if you look over your head, you will see my point.

The price of gas is relevant to everyone, regardless of how they get around. If you don't pay at the pumps, you do at the grocery store, hardware store etc., albeit indirectly.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM

I just talked to the old man in New Zealand its a 2.15 for 91 octane regular and 2.23 for 95 octane, diesel 1.47, no road tax on diesel at the pump.
Cost over a $100 to fill up a small suv.
Only 8 cents variance in the Cad-NZ $$$
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I just talked to the old man in New Zealand its a 2.15 for 91 octane regular and 2.23 for 95 octane, diesel 1.47, no road tax on diesel at the pump.
Of course New Zealand is known for it's robust oil industry.

FTH
Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Well at least the seperate on between gas and diesel is as it should be down there.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 AM

"They will charge what we will tolerate"This is absolute truth,so we shouldn't tolerate anymore so lets barricade the highway to fort mac and burn the offices of thieves in calgary . Joke that would give them reason to put prices up more bottom line is oil does what it likes it operates on greed so stay home or
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Gone Hunting

It's all a matter of prospective.

I can remember fueling up at .65 cents a gallon. That's around .14 cents a liter.
And that year I was earning $1.65 an hour working in a house trailer factory.

So a liter of fuel cost me a bit under 12% of my hourly wage.

Today it costs $1.20 or a bit more depending on where you fill up and I make $24.45 an hour. so the cost of fuel is about 20% of my hourly income.

This is of course not a true representation of the difference because back then I was working an entry level job, a laborer. These days I'm at the top of my profession, earning top dollar in this industry.

Yes I know that there are equipment operator positions that pay a lot more, but our wage is determined by what our employer is willing to pay which is in turn determined by what people are willing to pay for our service.

It seems that people are willing to pay a lot more for fuel for their cars, logs for lumber to build homes and for road to be built, then they are willing to pay highway maintenance to have snow cleared from the roads they drive.

That's the world we live in. A celebrity hockey player is worth more to us then a doctor is and many times more then a plumber or a store clerk.

We all should have stayed in school so we could all be lawyers and doctors.

The world doesn't need nurses, plumbers, or truck drivers.

Makes sense to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It's all a matter of prospective.

I can remember fueling up at .65 cents a gallon. That's around .14 cents a liter.
And that year I was earning $1.65 an hour working in a house trailer factory.

So a liter of fuel cost me a bit under 12% of my hourly wage.

Today it costs $1.20 or a bit more depending on where you fill up and I make $24.45 an hour. so the cost of fuel is about 20% of my hourly income.

This is of course not a true representation of the difference because back then I was working an entry level job, a laborer. These days I'm at the top of my profession, earning top dollar in this industry.

Yes I know that there are equipment operator positions that pay a lot more, but our wage is determined by what our employer is willing to pay which is in turn determined by what people are willing to pay for our service.

It seems that people are willing to pay a lot more for fuel for their cars, logs for lumber to build homes and for road to be built, then they are willing to pay highway maintenance to have snow cleared from the roads they drive.

That's the world we live in. A celebrity hockey player is worth more to us then a doctor is and many times more then a plumber or a store clerk.

We all should have stayed in school so we could all be lawyers and doctors.

The world doesn't need nurses, plumbers, or truck drivers.

Makes sense to me.
No one has ever asked me what I was willing to pay for highway maintenance. I would be willing to pay more. Roads are crap around here summer and winter. I think the issue is the way these contracts are bid. Someone needs to establish a minimium level that is above what is accepted now.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM

1.35 to 1.40 here on the west coast
http://www.bcprecisionrifle.com/Home.html
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 PM

just fueled up here in regina $131.9 litre for the cheap gas bloody crooks its half water