Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Burnstick

Wellllllllllll... We're thinking of heading out for the first time this year and since we live in Olds, Burnstick is one of the closest lakes that's open tomorrow. Gonna give er a run. Anyone else heading out that way? Always feel better on new ice with others out there so hopefully we'll see a few members!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:46 PM

Default Burntstick

Any reports?? Ice thickness. How was the fishing??

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Was there yesterday and lots of ice. 8 to 10 probably though we didnt feel any need to measure. People fishing and lots of skaters as it was pretty slick. Lots of tiny perch if you found the schools which we did. Nothing of any size. Talked to a guy loading up at the launch and he said he was first on the ice and we were last so he pretty much opened and closed the place. Said samw caught a ton of little ones and took home his limit but still not much for size. Saw a few pike on the cam too but that was all. Water was nice and clear had great picture even at 30 ft right up till dark.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Default Perch all day

Hello Calgaryringo , It was me you were talking to at he end of he day !
Yeah we were sitting on perch all day in 30-40 fow, same 2 holes all day . My son had the camera and was cherry picking for the bigger ones . White larva on little spoons seemed to work best . We also landed one small pike on the jawjacker and had seen 2 other smaller ones around. Over all it was an k day just had to go through a lot of smaller perch to get a few a few keepers.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 7finn; 12-12-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: pictures did not load
Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 PM

7finn...I was the other guy with Calgarygringo you met at the boat launch. Nice to meet you. Glad to see you guys did okay...and after you guys left, I was kinda kicking myself for not asking to see your perch....so thanks for posting pics.

It was weird. I was running a tandem rig with a 1/8 oz black-headed jig with a motor oil flake body (pretty dark combo) with a white wireworm about 15 inches above. No bait. And they hit that jig all day...but once they light levels dropped, they ignored the jig and went after the white wireworm. Made me think their eyesight isn't as acute as a walleye.

Anyway...good luck out there and maybe we will run into you again.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015