Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Srd uses cculled moose to make poison wolf baits

SRD IS QUITE A PIECE OF WORK. idiots really. They have been culling wolves in the little smokey every year since 2005 to save caribou and have not made one more caribou in all those years.

What they do is shoot 70 moose and lace them with 1080 to make poison wolf baits and are killing about 200 wolves/year. So lets do the math- 8 years makes about 500 moose and 1500-1600 wolves killed.

Caribou population 2005=80 and in 2013=78. Way to go SRD- real smart boys

And now in 2014 they are going to take their murderous program to Cold Lake where they are going to whack black bears to save caribou and begin another trip down insanity road.

They are killing mostly innocent animals to feed their addiction to the rush of playing god.

Only in Alberta and ALASKA do we entertain such draconian measures.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Poisoned bait

Total government bungling, in ALL departments. This government has to go and get someone in there with half a brain. They poisoned the whole country off in the early 50's, and it took decades to recover.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaragua View Post
SRD IS QUITE A PIECE OF WORK. idiots really. They have been culling wolves in the little smokey every year since 2005 to save caribou and have not made one more caribou in all those years.

What they do is shoot 70 moose and lace them with 1080 to make poison wolf baits and are killing about 200 wolves/year. So lets do the math- 8 years makes about 500 moose and 1500-1600 wolves killed.

And now in 2014 they are going to take their murderous program to Cold Lake where they are going to whack black bears to save caribou and begin another trip down insanity road.

They are killing mostly innocent animals to feed their addiction to the rush of playing god.

hmmm great first post.

do you have any links to support your claim? or is it all heresay?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
hmmm great first post.

do you have any links to support your claim? or is it all heresay?
its documented..... seen links on Aof in the past. never knew they were going to cold lake next....thats new.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM

I don't have a problem poisoning the wolves. I do have a problem them killing moose to do it. Maybe they could use some old cull cows or some of the feral horses.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM

I have heard of folks donating harvested game livers to the cause....they feed them with some additives to the wolves.

LC
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Poor management once again....we seem to throw a whole system off balance to address one aspect of it. are the wolves that big of an issue????
Old 02-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
its documented..... seen links on Aof in the past. never knew they were going to cold lake next....thats new.
you, i trust. first poster not so much.

thanks pp
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
you, i trust. first poster not so much.

thanks pp
should be able to search "grande cache caribou" or grande cache cull.... I dont remember exactly.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't know anything about this claim of poisoning Wolves but I have seen their burn program first hand and it clearly is insanity.
And I do have photos to back what I say.

I have no trouble believing they would poison Wolves to try to save a few Caribou. I would need more information before deciding what to think of it though.

I know there are Caribou here and I have no doubt that their numbers are desperately low. I'm not so sure there is any alternative to killing Wolves if we want those Caribou to survive.
For me the only question is, is there a better way then using Poison?

This may be a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

I'd like more information before I make up my mind which side I want to be on.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM

I was told the poison they use is nonpersistent meaning it kills the wolf and that's it....if the birds or other predators eat the wolf they don't die....not sure if this was a "feel good" answer or not.

LC
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I don't know anything about this claim of poisoning Wolves but I have seen their burn program first hand and it clearly is insanity.
And I do have photos to back what I say.

I have no trouble believing they would poison Wolves to try to save a few Caribou. I would need more information before deciding what to think of it though.

I know there are Caribou here and I have no doubt that their numbers are desperately low. I'm not so sure there is any alternative to killing Wolves if we want those Caribou to survive.
For me the only question is, is there a better way then using Poison?

This may be a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

I'd like more information before I make up my mind which side I want to be on.
They could shoot them from aircraft........ But I higjly doubt its in srd budget.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 PM

353 went from great to crap, thanks to our super smart university boys who don't spend enough time in the bush. The caribou issue always been related to habitat, but our greedy government will not back down on oil and gas and forestry, so they like to pretend doing something to make themselves feel good.

I stoped buying the alberta outdoorsmen magazine since Boyce start writing. I lost faith in biologists.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM

could they not take some boreal caribou from somewhere else and re-establish a sizeable herd?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I was told the poison they use is nonpersistent meaning it kills the wolf and that's it....if the birds or other predators eat the wolf they don't die....not sure if this was a "feel good" answer or not.

LC
That is one of the benefits of using 1080. Stops being toxic once it is ingested.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Does anyone know for a fact if it's 1080 or strychnine? How it's being used?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM

Default 1080

remains toxic once ingested so much so that we have cleaned out packs of coyotes with very few baits as they convulse and regurgitate it before dying. next one picks it up and they are dead as well and so on. No known antidote.

Where it shines is it is canine specific so is very toxic to canines less so to felines and still less so to other antimals and birds unlike strychnine which is an indiscriminate killer.

1080 also breaks down to harmless basic elements within a few weeks of exposure. Cant think of a more "canine" specific and effective poison to address wolves with in areas they need to be trimmed back.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 PM

Why not promote hunting in the area....to kill big game animals to kill more animals is so illogical.

Just like two falls ago by white court, was scouting alot pre bow season and saw alot of animals. Two helicopters were spraying...both black unmarked and sprayed the whole area. Even my new truck....came back first day of bow season nothin'...not a squirrel, bird, nothin' bumped into the trapper, he was alerted it was for pine beetle and he was in a state of shock. it took a couple months for things to be almost normal again....but good news...the logs they allowed to be clear cut are beetle free
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Should really post some proof. Going back almost 10 years all Canadian governments lost their licenses to use of cyanide, strycnine and other poisons.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaragua View Post

Welcome to the real world where Human resource requirements are having a significant negative effect on some wildlife species. Feel free to be pro-active in eliminating your own personal use of any natural resources. Until you and the rest of us stop using these resources management of wildlife including lethal measures to protect species in difficult circumstances will be required. Don't ever forget that YOU are part of the problem.

Yes, ESRD is poisoning wolves in specific areas as part of an emergency management plan to save the remaining indigenous Caribou. A necessary stop-gap measure until Habitat issues are dealt with.

Can you provide anything to substantiate the claim that ESRD is shooting Moose to use as bait?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
Should really post some proof. Going back almost 10 years all Canadian governments lost their licenses to use of cyanide, strycnine and other poisons.
who would of pulled their licence to do that? Is there a govt that governs the govt?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:34 AM

Default Poison

Poison, terrible band!
We are a foolish species aren't we. Poison one critter in an attempt to save another that has shown no improvement in 30 years. In my neck of the woods Woodland Caribou have struggled for a very long time, maybe their time has come. We will never stop taking away habitat to make oil and gas. Just the path folks have chosen I guess. Sure would be nice if we voted in the Minister for SRD as opposed to him being an ex finance minister, or Ag minister, or mining minister who gets gets appointed.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
They could shoot them from aircraft........ But I higjly doubt its in srd budget.
It was done last winter. I dont know if they continued it this winter. My dream job.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 AM

So the end result to this point is that they killed a substantial number of moose and wolves, with no positive result at all? It sounds like SRD is not doing any better at managing this situation, than they are doing at managing the outfitting industry.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
who would of pulled their licence to do that? Is there a govt that governs the govt?
Alberta Ag and ESRD hold registrations with the PMRA for strychnine, 1080 and cyanide for predator control and 2% liquid strychnine for gophers. You can get 1080 or cyanide from your Ag Fieldman for coyotes. ESRD will still use strychnine for wolves.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM

I've heard that a lot of provincial biologists are of the opinion that it is better to let the caribou go the way of the dodo in AB as there is little (read: zero) chance of bringing their population back to sustainable levels. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the university educated folk that don't spend enough time in the field. The orders to keep trying to protect the caribou come from a lot higher.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM

Good for SRD or whomever else is taking steps to rein in the exploding wolf population in certain areas!

Nice ploy of the OP, mentioning the 70 moose used to eradicate about 200 wolves.
Many more than those 70 moose were walking dead, what with the 200/8= 24 packs of wolves in the area!!

You (we) are idiots for being drawn into the OP's agenda!!

Her utopia includes NO hunting or trapping of surplus wildlife, because there will be no surplus, the wolves will see to that.

Bunch of dolts, where's Sheephunter when we need him?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Good for SRD or whomever else is taking steps to rein in the exploding wolf population in certain areas!

Nice ploy of the OP, mentioning the 70 moose used to eradicate about 200 wolves.
Many more than those 70 moose were walking dead, what with the 200/8= 24 packs of wolves in the area!!

You (we) are idiots for being drawn into the OP's agenda!!

Her utopia includes NO hunting or trapping of surplus wildlife, because there will be no surplus, the wolves will see to that.

Bunch of dolts, where's Sheephunter when we need him?
Driven away, like a lot of other good guys.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Sheep

Sheep got run off by guys calling each other junk like Idiots and Dolts.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM

They have been shooting them from aircraft in the past so I would assume that program started again this year.

Some of their policies make me scratch my head.

Boo are delicate and habitat loss or interruption I believe is their greater threat. Until we solve that issue, I think other efforts just prolong the inevitable.

Tags
wolves bears poisoning