Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 PM

Buddy and I were on a fishing trip in Northern Ontario. While sleeping one night, woke up to a growling sound, turned on the flash light to see a nose pressed into the side of the tent beside my buddy Bob's head. I woke him up and showed him. He rolled over and punched in the nose what we figured was a raccoon. A terrible bawling started as we ran outside to find three bear cubs treed and crying above our tent.

Pitch black, no gun and knowing mama was nearby.

Spent the night beside a small fire running out of wood, armed with a fillet knife and no sleep.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Brown View Post
He rolled over and punched in the nose what we figured was a raccoon..
I think its awesome your friend thought he was punching a racoon in the face!
Nest raiding buggers.

Its even awesomer that your friend punched a bear in the face.

You guys must party pretty hard!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM

Was on a cutline with a buddy when he decided to take whiz off the side of the trail. While im looking around waiting for him, i see a coyote heading straight towards him middle of the cutline. Less than 10 yards or so.

Funny moment. He emptied out pretty quick. Lol.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
That was you? Still like them big boned burly types??
Yessir them wooly backs work better'n velcro on a sheep.

And I think I know what all the strange howling noises are you guys are hearing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand

Last edited by Redfrog; 03-22-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM

This is more weird than crazy.

I went to a gold claim in the back country north of Revelstoke a few years back. I had taken 2 sticks of dynamite along, given to me by the claim owner, to blow a crack or move a rock. I blew off one stick moving a boulder and had the other stick under a tree wrapped in padding.
The next morning the last stick of TNT was gone. The nearest people were about 17 miles away. I think it was too big for a packrat to take so I still wonder about what took that stick. Never heard any blow ups while I was there.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Its even awesomer that your friend punched a bear in the face.
Yes it's funny.......now.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Ok guys and gals, has anyone ever had any crazy happenings or unexplained things happen to them while out in the bush? As for me, I had shot my moose on a trip, and was sleeping in that morning in our wall tent, when I heard a slurping noise right beside my head. Peaked to see what it was, and there was a black bear drinking the coffee and baileys that my partners had left for me when they left in the morning to head out hunting. They had left the tent flaps open because it was such a nice morning. I laid still, and when he finished he thankfully walked right out the door without wrecking anything. By the time I got out of my sleeping bag to take a look, he was heading down the cutline, and we never saw him again. My coffee cup was probably about 2 feet from my head while he was helping himself. When the boys came in for lunch, and I told them what happened, say said I was full of S--T. Lucky I wasn't, or it might have been all over the inside of my sleeping bag. LOL.
Nerves of steel to stay calm through that one. Hats off to ya
Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 PM

I was hunting in Alberta,1990, in the boreal forest and upon exiting the bush, I was standing at the edge of a desert. No trees, no grass, just sand.

Anyone else been there?

In addition to this, about 8 miles from this desert, I had been walking down an old overgrown cutline and saw two AGT phonebooths in the bush. One was upright, the second one was leaning against the upright one. I picked up the receiver in the upright booth, had a dial tone so I made a collect call to my wife. She asked me where I was. I told her she wouldnt believe me if I told her......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-22-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned

Fort mac early seventies?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I was hunting in Alberta,1990, in the boreal forest and upon exiting the bush, I was standing at the edge of a desert. No trees, no grass, just sand.

Anyone else been there?

In addition to this, about 8 miles from this desert, I had been walking down an old overgrown cutline and saw two AGT phonebooths in the bush. One was upright, the second one was leaning against the upright one. I picked up the receiver in the upright booth, had a dial tone so I made a collect call to my wife. She asked me where I was. I told her she wouldnt believe me if I told her......
I'd like to hear more about this place, it sounds weird. Wouldn't happen to have any pictures?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
I'd like to hear more about this place, it sounds weird. Wouldn't happen to have any pictures?
Only snapshots somewhere..... No digital camera then

I do have a pic of a caribou running in the ditch beside my truck near that place tho......
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 AM

We were headed for a mineral lick where the moose frequented, 20 miles off pavement and then a 2 kilometer hike down a cutline. Just as we got to where we were to turn and go into the lick, there's a Chevy Blazer stuck in the muck up to its hubs. We walk up to it and this guy stumbles out, smelling like a brewery. Apparently he was going from Manning to Fairview the previous evening and was told this was a shortcut with no cops. I think he missed his turn, kind of spoiled a good hunt too.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:

Anyone else been there?

Maybe a longshot, but, along lake athabasca
Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
x2
Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 AM

decided to go along with my uncle to call moose early one evening just a scouting trip well it turns out my uncle is really good at turning young bull moose on we had an answer in a matter of minutes and he came right on the run seems he was a little up set to find two guys in the clearing and not the cow moose he was looking for so we got to see him real up close in personal as he put us up a tree and kept us there for the next 2 hours if he had hit that tree any harder im thinking I m about to try moose riding took me another 2 hours and a few beer to stop shaking when I got home never saw that bugger again that season either
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Nope, but definitely logical.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Only snapshots somewhere..... No digital camera then

I do have a pic of a caribou running in the ditch beside my truck near that place tho......

I haven't seen it but I've heard of it. It runs for miles along the Alberta Saskatchewan border north east of Fort MacMurray.

I think it's called Athabasca Sand Dunes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 AM

This was in the swan hills area , in November 2009 :

I blew a hydraulic hose on a feller buncher . It was a 1-2 km walk out to my pick up on the main line as the access to that cutblock was not frozen . So I grabbed the hose , my coffee cup, and started walking the trail out.

I had been looking mainly at the ground, scanning for tracks , watching where I was stepping, etc, I looked up and standing broadside , looking at me , not 50 feet away was a cougar.

I froze . Thiat cat was huge . Had to have been 10 feet long . I started yelling, threw the hose at it, my cup , picked up sticks , lumps of frozen dirt . I threw everything I could grab at it.

That cat never flinched , never moved, no sounds . Then it faced foward and continued to cross the trail, and disappeared. I tried listening for it , but my ears were buzzing from my hearbeat , I couldn't hear anything . I don't kmow how long it took but I made it to my pick up after that.

I did walk back in to my machine an hour later, but packing a gun this time.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post

I blew a hydraulic hose on a feller buncher . It was a 1-2 km walk out to my pick up on the main line as the access to that cutblock was not frozen . So I grabbed the hose , my coffee cup, and started walking the trail out.

I had been looking mainly at the ground, scanning for tracks , watching where I was stepping, etc, I looked up and standing broadside , looking at me , not 50 feet away was a cougar.

I froze . Thiat cat was huge . Had to have been 10 feet long . I started yelling, threw the hose at it, my cup , picked up sticks , lumps of frozen dirt . I threw everything I could grab at it.

That cat never flinched , never moved, no sounds . Then it faced foward and continued to cross the trail, and disappeared. I tried listening for it , but my ears were buzzing from my hearbeat , I couldn't hear anything . I don't kmow how long it took but I made it to my pick up after that.

What an amazing experience....sounds like a big tom that knew he could eat you if he wanted to.

I had a smallish female cougar growling at me for several minutes at 18 paces [stepped off after she left] but I was only mildly disturbed....had she been a big one like you describe I probably would have shot her with the 300 mag I was packing.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post

Were you west of Swan Hills? Wonder if it was the same cat?
Something like this happened to me by meekwap lake a couple years earlier. Big tom behind me at 5 yards in the pounce position. Looked 12 feet long. I stared him down and after a couple minutes it went back in the bush. Sure glad I turned around when I did.
F&W told me I should have shot it because it was hunting a person. It would hunt the next guy too. Never shot a moose that hunt but it was the most memorable hunt to date.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Were you west of Swan Hills? Wonder if it was the same cat?
Something like this happened to me by meekwap lake a couple years earlier. Big tom behind me at 5 yards in the pounce position. Looked 12 feet long. I stared him down and after a couple minutes it went back in the bush. Sure glad I turned around when I did.
F&W told me I should have shot it because it was hunting a person. It would hunt the next guy too. Never shot a moose that hunt but it was the most memorable hunt to date.
It would have been 10-12 miles west of Goose Mountain Eco Reserve and a bit north. We have seen an influx of cougars on the north edge of that bush since 2008. Now we see cougars every winter and we have seen the deer population reduced to almost nothing.