Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Default Best walleye fishing line.

Was out fishing this weekend at Pigeon and when I grabbed my rod it had some of that nano line on. Bright White ! By partner was pulling them in Like 10 :1
for one of mine. Until I changed over to mono. Then it was even.
Going to re-spool ,and was wondering whats new out there for the best walleye line.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Lake trout too. Years ago I rigged dad up with crystal fireline at Athapap for better feel. Doing the same thing using mono , the girl reading a book in the front of the boat out fished him by the same margin. Straight mono at Athapap now , cold lake I use crystal but with a 17lb mono leader. Fish can definitely see braid
Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM

You didn't run a leader ? ALWAYS run a leader with braid
Old 06-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
You didn't run a leader ? ALWAYS run a leader with braid
So much this ^^^^^

Braid is the best line---much stronger for the diameter and no memory. Run 2 rod-lengths of 8-10# fluorocarbon leader tied directly to the braid using an Albright knot. You will not even notice the knot, and now you have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 PM

I tie braid directly to jig all the time. Zero issues ever. I've caught hundred if not thousands of walleye that way
Old 06-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I tie braid directly to jig all the time. Zero issues ever. I've caught hundred if not thousands of walleye that way
You would catch more with a leader and not risk loosing that spooky trophy of a life time that's avoided hundreds if not thousands of anglers by being aware of the slightest abnormalities.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Tie on a fluorocarbon leader and turn those "hundreds and thousands" into "tens of thousands".

I can catch a fish with a string tied to a 2x4 but why not take advantage of having the extra edge of having a near invisible (and more natural) presentation.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You would catch more with a leader and not risk loosing that spooky trophy of a life time that's avoided hundreds if not thousands of anglers by being aware of the slightest abnormalities.
Theres risk of flouro being snapped by said trophy. I'm open to adjusting but have tried both and have had more success with braid.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Theres risk of flouro being snapped by said trophy. I'm open to adjusting but have tried both and have had more success with braid.
Are ya shark fishing lol if your breaking off on fluorocarbon then dam! Take me with u. Floro is near invisible under water as for mono the ultra green / green lines and even regular are very close but are defiantly more visible and 100% not as abrasion resistant. If braid to hook works for u then go for it but don't be afraid to change things up on tough days
Old 06-19-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Are ya shark fishing lol if your breaking off on fluorocarbon then dam! Take me with u. Floro is near invisible under water as for mono the ultra green / green lines and even regular are very close but are defiantly more visible and 100% not as abrasion resistant. If braid to hook works for u then go for it but don't be afraid to change things up on tough days
Appreciate it. Another piece for the arsenal.
Maybe I've had an anomaly day but experimented with flouro in pike/walleye waters and found the bigger slough sharks had no issues chomping flouro.
I'm not claiming to be the best angler around. There's plenty of guys on here that would take me to the wood shed. However I had good success with jig to braid on tough days and brand new water. Last season out of the 3 alberta lakes we fished (2 new to me) and all three times had 100+ fish days and some good sized ones to boot.
Still lots to learn.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Tie on a fluorocarbon leader and turn those "hundreds and thousands" into "tens of thousands".

I can catch a fish with a string tied to a 2x4 but why not take advantage of having the extra edge of having a near invisible (and more natural) presentation.
Valid point. Dually noted
Old 06-19-2016, 04:07 PM

9 times out of 10 I out fish the boat for walleyes, and I use braid to a snap swivel tied directly to the jig.

Not bragging, just saying I think it's more on technique than the line you have.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up

I like to use braid on a baitcaster or fireline on a spinning outfit both tied to a good quality barrel swivel then tie on a fluorocarbon leader 10#\8# test. Minimum 5 to 6 feet usually. Swivel should be small enough to pass thru your rod guides. Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Was out fishing this weekend at Pigeon and when I grabbed my rod it had some of that nano line on. Bright White ! By partner was pulling them in Like 10 :1
for one of mine. Until I changed over to mono. Then it was even.
Going to re-spool ,and was wondering whats new out there for the best walleye line.
Nano is the best line out there IMO and I have tried more than my fare share ... like most people have been saying you just need a good length fluoro leader. With the fluorocarbon just make sure you buy leader material than line if you are worried about the big one it will make the difference.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 PM

I also find great success with power pro braid. Was a mono user since I started 50yrs ago. The visual argument is a valid one especially when the lure is stationary or jigged, but my almost exclusive trolling has no trouble with braid by itself.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Nano is the best line out there IMO and I have tried more than my fare share ... like most people have been saying you just need a good length fluoro leader. With the fluorocarbon just make sure you buy leader material than line if you are worried about the big one it will make the difference.
Nano is one of the worst lines ever made. Its breaking strength is terrible and it freys very fast with very little abrassion resistants.

Myself and other walleye gournament anglers have all tried it and every one of us had the same experience with it.

We all quickly ditched it and went bacl to power pro. Suffix. And spider wire braids and havent had a problem since.

We almost always run a small swivel and mono or floro leader between our hooks and main line. We have noticed in the past that a clear leader line was outfishing straight braid.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Nano is one of the worst lines ever made. Its breaking strength is terrible and it freys very fast with very little abrassion resistants.

Myself and other walleye gournament anglers have all tried it and every one of us had the same experience with it.

We all quickly ditched it and went bacl to power pro. Suffix. And spider wire braids and havent had a problem since.

We almost always run a small swivel and mono or floro leader between our hooks and main line. We have noticed in the past that a clear leader line was outfishing straight braid.
Thankfully I have not had this experience. I moved away from it to try one of the braids and it doesn't cast as nice so I went back to it.

I don't find it to be an issue but if it does start to fray ... I will cut it off and reattach my swivel to fresh line.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Default wow !

Wow ! Did I ever open a can of worms.
Thanks for all the replies ,or a few anyways.

I have tied some fluorocarbon leader to the end of the nano line .
Just did not like the feeling of that knot as it pass threw the eyelets .

Just going to stick with some old fashion mono ,as it did catch me 50 walleye this last weekend.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 PM

10 lb pp + 5-6 ft 8 lb fluoro leader. Use the no name knot as below and it will flow through eyelets smoothly. Dab a bit of superglue onto the knot to make it flow 100% freely if you are so inclined.

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/cont...ame_knot_.html

I will never fish with mono main line again.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post

100% Agree all points you make here ....

Nanofil is cheap garbage with inferior performance, in almost every aspect, when compared to a quality fused braid like Suffix or Power Pro. It's like comparing a Go-kart to a Ferrari. You get what you pay for - and the price point, if I'm not mistaken, should be a good clue.

Up until recently - I probably fished 100 days a year and trust me - if it's out there, I've tried and tested it. I was not impressed with Nanofill.

And ....

a clear leader will always increase your hook up % when the fish are being picky.

100% agree
Old 06-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Wow ! Did I ever open a can of worms.
Thanks for all the replies ,or a few anyways.

I have tied some fluorocarbon leader to the end of the nano line .
Just did not like the feeling of that knot as it pass threw the eyelets .

Just going to stick with some old fashion mono ,as it did catch me 50 walleye this last weekend.
What kind of knot did you use?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Nanofil is cheap garbage with inferior performance, in almost every aspect, when compared to a quality fused braid like Suffix or Power Pro. It's like comparing a Go-kart to a Ferrari. You get what you pay for - and the price point, if I'm not mistaken, should be a good clue.
Glad we are all able to still have our own opinions. Since I have predominately fished from shore, casting is the most important thing to me and there is nothing that casts like nanofil. If that means I need to cut a few yards off every month to get away from a little frayed line then that's what I will do
... and luckily enough for me since it is cheap garbage I can afford an extra spool.

I recently tried something else and quickly came back to it. There is obviously no perfect line out there or we ALL would be using it.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
100% Agree all points you make here ....

Up until recently - I probably fished 100 days a year and trust me - if it's out there, I've tried and tested it. I was not impressed with Nanofill.

And ....

a clear leader will always increase your hook up % when the fish are being picky.

100% agree
Might be happy to know that I took your opinion and bought a new rod the other day and thought with the new rod I will try the line I haven't yet which is the Sufix ... fingers crossed that it's the best of both worlds ... casting and durability.

I still think the nano will have it's place in my tackle box but am always open to new things.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:25 AM

Berkley trilene transoptic, I do a lot of jigging and casting with a slow bottom bouncing retrieve. works great for shore fishing too
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Might be happy to know that I took your opinion and bought a new rod the other day and thought with the new rod I will try the line I haven't yet which is the Sufix ... fingers crossed that it's the best of both worlds ... casting and durability.

I still think the nano will have it's place in my tackle box but am always open to new things.
I use Suffix 832 almost exclusively now. One thing to keep in mind is that it starts out a little bit stiff but "breaks in" with use. I usually tie a swivel and then a fluoro leader on, but you could skip the swivel if you wanted.

SS
Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Lots of best lines out there

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I use Suffix 832 almost exclusively now. One thing to keep in mind is that it starts out a little bit stiff but "breaks in" with use. I usually tie a swivel and then a fluoro leader on, but you could skip the swivel if you wanted.

SS
Heading out tonight to give it a try, looking forward to it and thanks for the tips. I thought the stiffness of the line might help out in some of the issues I have found in all the other lines (except nanofil) is that if you do not get the line in quite as tight as you should and then get a hit the top layers will cut into the bottom leading to quite a mess.

Fingers crossed.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM

I tried Nano on my Stella reel this year. Had Power Pro on it for a few years so thought it was time to replace the line. Read up a bit and biggest problem indicated for Nano was knot strength and some saying it was from not wetting line enough prior to tightening knot. So I took my time with the knot and wet it well as I was attaching Flouro to it. Took it out fishing on the long weekend in May and it did cast well. Caught a nice jack and then a nice walleye using my new Live Bait lure. A couple casts later, away went my lure. Nano broke. Retied more flouro and used a slightly different color lure but I did not have the luck with it as the first lure.
Back to Power Pro now.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
I tried Nano on my Stella reel this year. Had Power Pro on it for a few years so thought it was time to replace the line. Read up a bit and biggest problem indicated for Nano was knot strength and some saying it was from not wetting line enough prior to tightening knot. So I took my time with the knot and wet it well as I was attaching Flouro to it. Took it out fishing on the long weekend in May and it did cast well. Caught a nice jack and then a nice walleye using my new Live Bait lure. A couple casts later, away went my lure. Nano broke. Retied more flouro and used a slightly different color lure but I did not have the luck with it as the first lure.
Back to Power Pro now.

Just spent the last while reading all the reviews I could find on the line and they either black or white love it or hate it, it seems like Berkley needs some serious improvement in their quality control or something because there are reviews where people have had the same line for years without an issue and then stories like your where the line breaks within the day. The only thing I can think is the quality of each individual spool or batch. Which is reason enough for people to avoid it, but I have been lucky enough to have a good spool but when I start loosing more lures I will probably jump off the band wagon until the "second generation" comes out.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 PM

Knots are a critical component when using the "slick" lines. Most failures are knot failures.
Lots of fishermen out there figure their knots are good and blame the line.

edit: the more knots on a line the more failure points.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.