Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Default Sunday Hunting

Hey Everyone;

Just looking for some clarification on something; it is taught in the AHEIA course that Sunday Hunting is only allowed in the green zones; however when I went searching through regs/wildlife act, I found no trace of this. Did I miss it? If so, where is it found?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf
Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 PM

You wont find it in the regulations, because it isn't true.

Sunday hunting for big game is not allowed in the Prairie wmus.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...mu/wmu100.html
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 PM

Why is that? Seems like no reason for no Sunday hunting. Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM

To further confuse things other zones have different days you can hunt, Wed-Saturday only.

LC
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
To further confuse things other zones have different days you can hunt, Wed-Saturday only.

LC

Or move to the Edmonton area. And then there's the whole supplemental tag thing too. I don't partake but lots do.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or move to the Edmonton area. And then there's the whole supplemental tag thing too. I don't partake but lots do.
Supplemental tags? What's that?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Banned

You really need to keep reading the regulations not trying to sound rude but all these questions are simply answered in regulations
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 PM

Default you have me worried

from the regs online:

The Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence is issued with two tags. The FIRST tag issued with the licence (but NOT the second tag) is valid for tagging a deer hunted in one of the following WMUs: 310-314, 337, 346-349, 351, 352, 354, 356, 357, 360, 503-510, 523, 526, 527, 535 and 537. Both tags are valid for tagging a deer(s) hunted in any of the following WMUs: 350, 353, 355, 440-446, 511, 512, 515-521, 524, 525, 528-531, 534, 536, 539-542 and 544.

quick test for OP - which tags are eligible for a partner tag for a hunter over 18?

if you can't answer that I'd suggest getting an extra copy or seven of the regs and reading it at every opportunity till you have it dialled. cheers.

K
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
from the regs online:

The Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence is issued with two tags. The FIRST tag issued with the licence (but NOT the second tag) is valid for tagging a deer hunted in one of the following WMUs: 310-314, 337, 346-349, 351, 352, 354, 356, 357, 360, 503-510, 523, 526, 527, 535 and 537. Both tags are valid for tagging a deer(s) hunted in any of the following WMUs: 350, 353, 355, 440-446, 511, 512, 515-521, 524, 525, 528-531, 534, 536, 539-542 and 544.

quick test for OP - which tags are eligible for a partner tag for a hunter over 18?

if you can't answer that I'd suggest getting an extra copy or seven of the regs and reading it at every opportunity till you have it dialled. cheers.

K
Hey there;

I want to make sure I have your question right (and the right answer!); that's the partner tag on the antler/anterless moose, as it is the only one where partner's other than youth are allowed? My early morning brain was confused, and I think I have the right answer but want to make sure.

I also realised belatedly what the supplementals were that he was referring to (after your post). For some reason I was thinking supplemental tags not related to hunting tags themselves, but something entirely different (i.e. bowhunting licences, or along that line).

Just as an assurance to everyone else; these questions (many of which may be "simple" to experienced hunters, and that's fine), are coming from my continuing examination and exploration of the regulations online, wildlife act, hunters education material and topics found online - and most come from discrepancies found between the multiple sources. So most of my questions are based around figuring out where the discrepancies lie, and where the truth is! Almost everyone has been amazingly helpful, by the way, so thank you for that!

Cheers;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Banned

There is zero discrepancies
You just don’t seem to know what your looking at
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Hey there;

I want to make sure I have your question right (and the right answer!); that's the partner tag on the antler/anterless moose, as it is the only one where partner's other than youth are allowed? My early morning brain was confused, and I think I have the right answer but want to make sure.

I also realised belatedly what the supplementals were that he was referring to (after your post). For some reason I was thinking supplemental tags not related to hunting tags themselves, but something entirely different (i.e. bowhunting licences, or along that line).

Just as an assurance to everyone else; these questions (many of which may be "simple" to experienced hunters, and that's fine), are coming from my continuing examination and exploration of the regulations online, wildlife act, hunters education material and topics found online - and most come from discrepancies found between the multiple sources. So most of my questions are based around figuring out where the discrepancies lie, and where the truth is! Almost everyone has been amazingly helpful, by the way, so thank you for that!

Cheers;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Based on your questions, I can't help but think that these so called" discrepancies", are really a case of you misunderstanding what you are reading or being told.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Based on your questions, I can't help but think that these so called" discrepancies", are really a case of you misunderstanding what you are reading or being told.
Hey guys;

Absolutely possible! I won't argue that in the least; hence why I come and get clarification, as it's better to ask and look stupid, than be stupid and not ask.

There are some which I've noted exist (first example is hunting times, which in the course taught one half hour before sunrise, one one half hour - 1 & 1/2 hours - after sunset. I contacted AHEIA who said it was indeed a mistake on their end).

That being said, if these questions are too simple for the community, and you guys have issues seeing them, I could stop asking them. Which to me seems counter-intuitive to a welcoming community, or a community which wishes to educate and include new individuals properly (unless of course you guys would prefer to not educate new individuals with questions?).

Thanks again for all your help!

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
There are some which I've noted exist (first example is hunting times, which in the course taught one half hour before sunrise, one one half hour - 1 & 1/2 hours - after sunset. I contacted AHEIA who said it was indeed a mistake on their end).
There is no " and " between the ones in "one one half hour", so that does not mean 1-1/2 hour. That is simply a case of an extra one being printed. You are definitely creating your own issues in understanding what you are reading.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is no " and " between the ones in "one one half hour", so that does not mean 1-1/2 hour. That is simply a case of an extra one being printed. You are definitely creating your own issues in understanding what you are reading.
Hey elkhunter11;

While we could argue about the proper meaning of one-one half - which is a totally different topic, and one that does have a meaning, especially in legal verbiage - I'll instead simple note (as already said); yes, that is possible. Hence why I come and check everything that seems confusing, wrong or a discrepancy.

What I'm getting from your responses, is that instead of clarifying, you would prefer that I continue to incorrectly read, acknowledge and "understand" the rules, as they seem simple in your mind with your amount of experience.

If that is the case, and that is the representation of this forum, then perhaps the opposition has some valid points in the attitudes and behaviours of hunters?

I don't personally feel that is true, but if you are unwillingly to assist newcomers- regardless of how 'dumb' their questions may seem, then perhaps you shouldn't be on a community dedicated to assisting others. While my questions may seem simple or stupid to you, I'm asking them because I would rather be the best hunter I can be, over being the hunter in the news which has slid the governing body into laying further limiting/damning regulations for the sport.

Thank you again;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Hey elkhunter11;

While we could argue about the proper meaning of one-one half - which is a totally different topic, and one that does have a meaning, especially in legal verbiage - I'll instead simple note (as already said); yes, that is possible. Hence why I come and check everything that seems confusing, wrong or a discrepancy.

What I'm getting from your responses, is that instead of clarifying, you would prefer that I continue to incorrectly read, acknowledge and "understand" the rules, as they seem simple in your mind with your amount of experience.

If that is the case, and that is the representation of this forum, then perhaps the opposition has some valid points in the attitudes and behaviours of hunters?

I don't personally feel that is true, but if you are unwillingly to assist newcomers- regardless of how 'dumb' their questions may seem, then perhaps you shouldn't be on a community dedicated to assisting others. While my questions may seem simple or stupid to you, I'm asking them because I would rather be the best hunter I can be, over being the hunter in the news which has slid the governing body into laying further limiting/damning regulations for the sport.

Thank you again;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
You have been assisted, people including myself have answered your questions so far, but you need to realize that you can't possibly ask enough questions to learn all of the regulations by posting questions here. When you see what you think is a discrepancy between the AHEIA material and the actual regulations, ignore the AHEIA material. Had you read the hunting guide, you would have seen the supplemental tags mentioned, to have no idea what they are, indicates that you did not read the entire hunting guide. When you saw supplemental tags mentioned, you could have simply gone to the online hunting guide and found the explanation of supplemental tags, that would be the best way to learn what they are, rather than relying on other people's interpretation. The AO members are willing to help new hunters, many of us have taken out new hunters, and we continue to do so, but you do need to help yourself as well.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...amemanage.html

Quote:
SUPPLEMENTAL ANTLERLESS WHITE-TAILED DEER LICENCE
The Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence is issued with two tags. The FIRST tag issued with the licence (but NOT the second tag) is valid for tagging a deer hunted in one of the following WMUs: 310-314, 337, 346-349, 351, 352, 354, 356, 357, 360, 503-510, 523, 526, 527, 535 and 537. Both tags are valid for tagging a deer(s) hunted in any of the following WMUs: 350, 353, 355, 440-446, 511, 512, 515-521, 524, 525, 528-531, 534, 536, 539-542 and 544
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Prplewlf it seems to me you would do well to locate a forum member close to your location, take them out for coffee and have them work you through ALL the details in the regs. A mentor will be far more effective in this case....you might even find a hunting partner out of it
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM

It should be understood that, half hour after sunset is deemed too dark to safely hunt. An hour and a half and you would be night hunting.
Keep it simple half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Prplewlf it seems to me you would do well to locate a forum member close to your location, take them out for coffee and have them work you through ALL the details in the regs. A mentor will be far more effective in this case....you might even find a hunting partner out of it
Hi elkhunter11;

Fair points, all. As stated earlier, once I had thought on it for a little bit I realised what the individual previously had been mentioning (as it wasn't something I have focused on learning a ton about at the current time, it wasn't at the forefront of my mind). Unfortunately there were already replies and I couldn't edit my post to acknowledge this.

I'm entirely grateful for all the helpful answers received - the majority of this community is amazingly helpful in that.

Obsessed1; I will absolutely do that before I even consider hitting the ground!

Thanks everyone;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Hey Everyone;

Just looking for some clarification on something; it is taught in the AHEIA course that Sunday Hunting is only allowed in the green zones; however when I went searching through regs/wildlife act, I found no trace of this. Did I miss it? If so, where is it found?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf
Prple. The dates listed for each species by wmu area (mountain, prairie, boreal, etc) in the regs would give you the dates allowed for hunting.

There are two screens below one showing the Wed to sat only and then another below showing a full month for another species as an example. These are both in the 100 zones.

I wouldn't rely on aheia for insight but the registry book itself will provide the answer such as ... this is how i do it....what do I want to hunt? Where do I want to hunt? Do I need to have a draw tag? When can I hunt it? Then I plan accordingly.

Keep the questions coming and never mind the grouches.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Prple. The dates listed for each species by wmu area (mountain, prairie, boreal, etc) in the regs would give you the dates allowed for hunting.

There are two screens below one showing the Wed to sat only and then another below showing a full month for another species as an example. These are both in the 100 zones.

I wouldn't rely on aheia for insight but the registry book itself will provide the answer such as ... this is how i do it....what do I want to hunt? Where do I want to hunt? Do I need to have a draw tag? When can I hunt it? Then I plan accordingly.

Keep the questions coming and never mind the grouches.

Hey JW;

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! This is extremely helpful!

Cheers;

PrpleWlf

PrpleWlf - Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Hey everyone;

Thanks for all your help! I found the answer to my original question;

hunt big game on Sundays

in WMUs 102-160,
in WMUs 624, 728, 730 and 936.

Thanks again for all the super helpful and extendedly helpful information from everyone!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone;

Thanks for all your help! I found the answer to my original question;

hunt big game on Sundays

in WMUs 102-160,
in WMUs 624, 728, 730 and 936.

Thanks again for all the super helpful and extendedly helpful information from everyone!
Close, but not exact. JWCalgary's pictures show that although it's legal to hunt Moose and Elk in WMUs 102-160 on Sunday, the picture above that shows Wed-Sat only for Whitetail and Mule deer. Both species of Deer are considered big game and should be noted that if you pop one of those Sun-Tues, you will be breaking the law.

It's a lot to take in, but if you concentrate only on a couple of zones and read specifically in dealing with those zones and the species that you're chasing, it will become clear.

EDIT: The Moose and Elk are on draw as well (as shown by the little black box) so you must be drawn before chasing them.

J.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Close, but not exact. JWCalgary's pictures show that although it's legal to hunt Moose and Elk in WMUs 102-160 on Sunday, the picture above that shows Wed-Sat only for Whitetail and Mule deer. Both species of Deer are considered big game and should be noted that if you pop one of those Sun-Tues, you will be breaking the law.

It's a lot to take in, but if you concentrate only on a couple of zones and read specifically in dealing with those zones and the species that you're chasing, it will become clear.

EDIT: The Moose and Elk are on draw as well (as shown by the little black box) so you must be drawn before chasing them.

J.
Hi J;

I'll definitely take that into account when looking up regulations strictly for my area. I had seen that there were specific no hunting dates in certain WMU's, but was trying to chase down what I had thought was a "large-branched/province-wide no hunting day". Turns out I was thinking of the above piece I posted, so just general confusion on my end!

I do have a year to figure it all out though - as I won't be making it out this year (nor do I feel ready yet). So lots of time to read, review ask questions and learn!

Having reviewed the images shown above for the 200 series area (my area), I noticed that some (212, 248) are listed only with Archery Season - does this mean general rifle hunting is not allowed in these areas (as the General Season is blank for dates)? This is more a curiosity question for me, as I'm a bow hunter, and will be focusing more on the regulations for bowhunting. I've attached a screenshot of the listed WMUs I'm talking about, just for clarification!

Thanks;

PrpleWlf

Last edited by PrpleWlf; 03-25-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 PM

You are correct. No season exists for rifle.

Unless there is some kind of supplemental tag not listed in the dates.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
You are correct. No season exists for rifle.

Unless there is some kind of supplemental tag not listed in the dates.

Hi JW;

Awesome! Glad I've not made a mistake understanding that!

As far as I can tell from what I can find, there is no supplemental. There is notes on a limit to the number of Anterless Deer that can be killed, and a caution about the no sunday hunting in certain WMU's (non-200s), but nothing about supplementals in that regards.

Thanks for your feedback;

PrpleWlf