Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Bighorn/hwy40 fishing

Going on holidays tommorow, down hwy 40 south of hinton coming out around calgary. just wondering any recommendations about creeks/rivers to fish and/or camp at. we were going for 2 weeks but cut down to one so i don't have as much time to explore. never been down that stretch of real eastate so curoius as to which ones i should stop at and which to drive by, willing to go on detour also.
I have the Barry Mitchell fishing guide and have flipped through his book before. Fished kakwa to wildhay and castle to crowsnest just not inbetween.
were C&R fishing and any info to save some time would be great.

Thanks - MB
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Be sure to spend some time at Elk creek we have great luck there. Just south of ram falls it crosses the road 6 times between the falls and peppers lake.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM

thanks sheepguide , I'd like to see the falls, dads taken the horses in there before and says pretty nice.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Also pays to check out the hummingbird falls while your in the area. The turn off is a couple miles north of Ram falls on the west side of the road.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Arrow

Thanks again

Looks like wife got me going stuff aroung the farm before we leave - we'll be going july 12 @ noon then we can have 8 days instead of 6. Anyone else feel free or PM.

- work before play I guess!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
sheephunter

Pick up Barry Mitchell's book Alberta's Trout Highway. A complete guide to fishing the Forestry Trunk Road. Canadian Tire usually carries it. Great investment.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Seen the book before, looked like a decent read, should be good for a trip like this as were nubie to the area, I'll see if I can find one. cheers
Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 PM

the fishin has been good on the north ram, crippling creek and lynx creek. farther south the burnt timber and fallen timber are usually good but haven't been yet this year.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
jrs

Everything is fishing awesome as of last week towards the north end of your route. The Gregg, McLeod, Embarrass, Pembina, and all the small creeks i tried were great. I caught lots of whitefish, rainbows, brookies and a few bulls so i'd say conditions are good. The water is super low so concentrate on deep holes anywhere you stop, more fish stacked up in the deep spots than is normal for early July. Not sure if the weather will hold for you though, i heard they're expecting up to 100 mm of rain today and tomorrow so that may change conditions for a few weeks. It's needed though, the rainbows were spawning in some pretty shallow water compared to the past couple springs. Better for watching them but hopefully the redds stay wet until hatching.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM

kudos for the info

the rivers up here are lower than normal too, wierd spring for sure.
were in the middle of a couple inches of rain up here today, that should change the rivers up a bit, hopefully we'll be alright.

found the trout hiway book yesterday too been flipping though it a bit