Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Favorite plastics for Walleye.

Hey all, just wanted everyones opinion on something.

With all these new brands and styles of soft plastic baits, I was wondering what was some of your favorites for targeting walleye?

I personally love the stuff that Northland Tackle makes, their "impulse" brand plastics are a lot more supple/soft and have a better action underwater. I find and the Berkly Gulp! brand minnows are a lot more rigid and don't have as nice of an action, though the Gulp! leeches are decent.

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy the northland tackle brand RingWorm™ style plastic please let me know! I know I can order them online but was wondering if I can save on shipping and find them stocked in a store here in Edmonton.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

PS: It doesn't have to be just walleye, if you know a plastic that slays whitefish or pike or trout or any sportfish, then feel free to contribute!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:31 PM

B fishntackle has pulsar and moxi plastics that I like to use. Nice thing with plastics is that if it has a tail, it'll work. Honestly I don't see a huge difference between brands. As long as it's presented correctly and the right colour, it'll work.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Trigger X bloodworm for whitefish
Old 10-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Trigger X bloodworm for whitefish
Damn! I like the action on some of these trigger X baits. So lively
Ever try the glow and/or orange/chartreuse?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Damn! I like the action on some of these trigger X baits. So lively
Ever try the glow and/or orange/chartreuse?
Trigger X glow moustache worms work great for the evening bite
Old 10-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
B fishntackle has pulsar and moxi plastics that I like to use. Nice thing with plastics is that if it has a tail, it'll work. Honestly I don't see a huge difference between brands. As long as it's presented correctly and the right colour, it'll work.
Some nice looking stuff on their website! Too bad they don't have a store here in Edmonton, I'll have to ship some of those goodies in though for sure.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

I don’t use plastics for walleye. I prefer crankbaits if fishing artificials for walleye. Now for largemouth? Give me a black 4” Yum or 6” tequila sunrise Berkley Power on a 4/0 worm hook and we are good to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B2789960-53F4-4F28-88FB-A95FB990B1BD.jpeg (51.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I don’t use plastics for walleye. I prefer crankbaits if fishing artificials for walleye. Now for largemouth? Give me a black 4” Yum or 6” tequila sunrise Berkley Power on a 4/0 worm hook and we are good to go!
Where did you get those slabs!? Very nice! Never tried Bass, it's definitely on my bucket list though.

Interesting that you don't use plastics for Walleye, some guys swear by them. I find the closer I fish to the bottom, the more likely it is I will use a plastic. They aren't ripped off/torn apart by weeds like real bait is, they are usually brighter down there and grab the fishes attention I find. And with all these new scents, its like there is no real downside. You can even rig them weedless and wiggle your way through weed beds to find fish hiding on a hot summers day. Rigging real bait weedless is a lot more difficult I find.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Where did you get those slabs!? Very nice! Never tried Bass, it's definitely on my bucket list though.

Interesting that you don't use plastics for Walleye, some guys swear by them. I find the closer I fish to the bottom, the more likely it is I will use a plastic. They aren't ripped off/torn apart by weeds like real bait is, they are usually brighter down there and grab the fishes attention I find. And with all these new scents, its like there is no real downside. You can even rig them weedless and wiggle your way through weed beds to find fish hiding on a hot summers day. Rigging real bait weedless is a lot more difficult I find.
Rigging rubber worms for bass is weedless also. It’s very simple when used with a proper worm/plastics hook.
We used to fish largemouth alot when I lived in Ontario. One of my favorite warm water fish to fish for and top of the heap for eating. We usually kept a few twice per season for a fish fry and the rest was catch & release. Even caught the odd one ice fishing for walleye!! Walleye and largemouth out of the same hole was always a hoot. There was no guessing which you had on?! Even in their dormant winter mood a 3 or 4 pound largemouth had bigger shoulders than a walleye twice it’s weight, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA1AB236-0BB9-4DCA-B040-17264BCEB70B.jpeg (34.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpeg 829BD876-C5DA-44D2-A9D8-D6ABE36C3DB3.jpeg (43.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:01 PM

Jiggíng walleyes in a river... check out the sponsor of this site.. Bondy Baits..
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM

another vote for b fish n plastics. I also love snapping their blade baits. always been a fan of Berkley stuff to. ripple shads and pro twitchtail minnows have landed my three biggest eyes.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

The tried, tested, and true Mr. twister in single and double curly tail grubs in 3-4 inch black, chartreuse and white as well, the ned rig from Z-man has become a new favourite when the walleye get picky, can’t say enough good things about those soft plastics, any colour in 2-4 inch sizes on a 1/4 jighead finnessed along the bottom.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
The tried, tested, and true Mr. twister in single and double curly tail grubs in 3-4 inch black, chartreuse and white as well, the ned rig from Z-man has become a new favourite when the walleye get picky, can’t say enough good things about those soft plastics, any colour in 2-4 inch sizes on a 1/4 jighead finnessed along the bottom.
I always find I catch more pike with the double tail mr. twisters.

I use a 1/8th jig and run a black double-tail near the surface and pike blow up on them like crazy in shallow water. I guess the black silhouette of the double tail looks like a frog from below.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM

3.5" Gary Yamamoto swimbait or 4" single curly tail grub. Many colours but like any of the black to smoke coloured ones with salt and pepper type flakes on the tails and bodies. Sometimes hook the swimbait on its side instead of upright. Sometimes add a chunk of Minnow to either one to hide the hook a bit and add some scent. Pair with Gary Yamamoto swimbait or grub jigs 1/4 oz all the way up to 3/4 oz depending on depth you are fishing and wind conditions. Most of the time heave it as far as you can along a break and just swim it back gently to the boat and barely keeping it up off bottom but ticking bottom often as well. Drifting and dragging is also very effective with the right wind speed and boat control. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Lucky johns plastics are by far the best plastics I've tried. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to get 'em, no one sells them online or otherwise that I've found.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Bfishin authentix moxi and paddle tails and I also used a lot of impulse leaches this year as well. The authentix line is the hands down the best plastic bait I've ever used. I toss a few in a container with some gulp scent. You can buy refills of the gulp scent.