Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 AM

Default Jigs for pike fishing

Here is something that works very well and is deadly for pike.
I use 3/8 and 1/2 once DO-It Mold Model RHB-6-3812 and Eagle Claw hooks # 630 and 635 extra long jig hooks from Do-it molds in the states. Note--Aberdeen hooks work but are short and depending on the manufacturer may not be strong enough for pike. For the hair I use buck tails , Fishair, Llama hair or any long hair I can get a hold of. I add flash and use anything I can get a hold off. For the mold I use lead or wheel weights, even though Do-It says not to use wheel weights. Wheel weights work OK for the larger jigs but not to well for the smaller jigs. You have to make sure you pre-heat the mold or the first jigs come out only half formed. For the smaller pike I make the hair about 4 inches max. The big pike eat these also, For the bigger pike make the hair up to 6 or 7 inches long. Some fellows make them up to a foot long. I use a 7 foot stout rod loaded with 25 pound braid line.
When you jig with the jig use small, short lifting motions, don't over do it. You can cast these jigs a country mile, or just about. just reeling them in slowly will get you smashes and they don't seam to pick up the weeds a badly as a spoon.
For the shallow areas I use the 3/8 once jigs with deer (bucktail) hair as the deer hair seams to help keep the jig a little higher in the water column because of the hollow hair .
Colors White on bottom with darker color on top. Good old red and white,hard to beat. For real long jigs try the Llama hair or something similar in black and or dark green. olive etc.
The lead melts easily on a camp stove,don't do it in the kitchen unless you intend to replace the kitchen floor as one spill on the floor and big holes appear in the linoleum. I use a small cast or steel fry pan or a small stainless pot or pan. Lead melts at around 425 degrees so gloves and eye protection are a must along with shoes or boots, no sandles or slippers. Hot lead on a foot means a trip to the hospital and permanent scarring. Never put damp or wet lead into a pot of hot lead as you get instant steam and an explosion of hot lead. It's deadly.
You can also get lead melting pots from Do-it molds. Getting hooks locally can be a problem so get them with the molds.
Have fun
Columbia old guy

Last edited by Bjay; 08-10-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Another tip, if you are sweating a lot dont lean over the molten lead found that out the painful way

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info! i may have to try this for some fall pike action. Ive been curious about buikding my own jigs and lures for a while now and i think this may put me over the edge hahahaha