Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Stay away from goodyear!! Want a great tire highway, ice and snow. Michilen a tire for pick-ups. I drive several thousnds of miles every winter through the mountains.
Do some research and I guarantee that you won't be wasting your cash on goodyear tires. Michelin 1st choice or BF TA's second choice.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Stay away from goodyear!! Want a great tire highway, ice and snow. Michilen a tire for pick-ups. I drive several thousnds of miles every winter through the mountains.
Do some research and I guarantee that you won't be wasting your cash on goodyear tires. Michelin 1st choice or BF TA's second choice.
Why???
Just a personal preference or do you actually have some reasons?
My personal opinion i wouldn't own a Michelin tire for a car let alone a truck
but thats just my opinion.
My truck has Goodrich all terrain on it right now and they are horrible tires again in my opinion.
So why do you hate Goodyear so much?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I won't own Michelins myself,but BFGs are okay.I have Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on the car,and I will either be putting Silent Armors or Bridgestone Revos on the truck.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

I guess it depends on what kind of conditions you are subjected to as well as your expectations for a particular brand of tire. I know what I put my tires through and by far they have outperformed any Goodyear tires t. All I can say is do your homework /Research and you will find the answers for yourself. I did and am very glad doing so. I am not here to persued someone to buy something because I say so. Weed through all the crap that you hear and 1/2 of what you read and I am sure you will be very happy with your decision.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what kind of conditions you are subjected to as well as your expectations for a particular brand of tire.
My truck is on the highway 90% of the time,but it does do mild off roading at times.I look for a tire that is good in rain,decent in snow and ice,decent on dirt trails and in fields,and offers decent tread life.No one tire is great in all conditions,so you do need to compromise.The Michelins that I had lasted a long time,but they were terrible in ice,snow and rain.The BFG TAs were better in snow and rain,but not much better on icy roads.The Revos were quite good in all conditions,but friends have Silent Armors that also do well in most conditions,and they are available for a better price.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Have 2 sets of the new Duras-tec Wranglers on 2 of the company trucks....love them. More aggressive the the Silent Armor...and should last a bit better on the gravel roads.

HAd my set since early April...good on the ice/snow we had then.

I would reccomend them. They are not overly loud either compared to other agrresive-styled tires.

Going to have them on all the company trucks when the others need new sets.

Plus price was very good when we bought the first 2 sets.
LT 265-75-R16 and LT 265-70-R17
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
gitrdun

I've been watching this thread as my 3/4 diesel is due for new tires. I had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on it. I've been very happy with the ride, they're quiet and pretty decent for traction, but on the down side I don't think that I've gotten long wear out of them. The thing about tires as I understand it is that the harder the rubber is, the longer they wear, but they haven't got good grip on ice. The softer the rubber, the better traction, but you give up thread life. Since my wife's life is more important to me than thread life, I think that I'll continue using the Silent Armours.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I've been watching this thread as my 3/4 diesel is due for new tires. I had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on it. I've been very happy with the ride, they're quiet and pretty decent for traction, but on the down side I don't think that I've gotten long wear out of them. The thing about tires as I understand it is that the harder the rubber is, the longer they wear, but they haven't got good grip on ice. The softer the rubber, the better traction, but you give up thread life. Since my wife's life is more important to me than thread life, I think that I'll continue using the Silent Armours.
Neither one of those tires are an ideal fit for icy road conditions. If it's safety that you're after, then you need a purpose built winter tire such as the Blizzak. All of my vehicles wear Blizzak's during the winter months.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM

We've been told our lease company (PHH) that we are to use S.A.'s. I don't think that they will stand up to the gravel roads we travel. Nice for the 25k to work, but not the 50+ km of gravel everyday.
Hopefully they let me put the DuraTracs on I ordered before this notice came out.

Am also looking for good replacements for my 325-20" BFG's next year.

Later......
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Well my truck is primarily for after work fun as in camping/hunting etc so it is probably half and half highway then bush roads and gravel/mud/clay/snow etc so i think i am still leaning towards the DuraTracs or the MT/r's with Kevlar.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
Neither one of those tires are an ideal fit for icy road conditions. If it's safety that you're after, then you need a purpose built winter tire such as the Blizzak. All of my vehicles wear Blizzak's during the winter months.
throw some studs in the duratracs if you are worried about ice tracton...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
throw some studs in the duratracs if you are worried about ice tracton...
Studs are terrible in conditions other than ice, and Alberta winters typically throw the entire gamut of conditions on us. A good quality winter tire such as a Blizzak or Nokian provides excellent traction on ice without sacrificing ride quality, stopping power etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM

As per the first posting on this topic, if you do mostly highway driving, go with the Silent Armors ATS. We are trying the Dura-tecs out since we do alot of offroad work.

Another tire I will suggest is the Yokohama Geolanders. I use to run the older tread pattern-loved it-still wish they made it. When we got a new 2007 4x4, I got the factory tires removed and put on the new style tread Yokohamas Geolanders (they stopped making the older pattern )on the truck for my guy. He got 115 000 kms on that set and could of got maybe another 15 000. IMPRESSIVE !!

They were ok in the mud, good in the snow/ice. We just wanted a more aggressive tire for mud-so when the Dura-tecs come out-the price was right and I jumped on it to try. If needed, the Dura-tecs come pre-drilled for studding.

As for BF Goodrich All Terrain TA'a, a few friends had nothing but issues and we have one set right now on another truck...and I wont go back-be a new set of Wrangler Dura-tecs for sure.

If you need, run a second set of tires strickly for winter use then.

JMO
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Default duratrac

Just got some duratracs put on the truck this morning and they are awesome so far. 1100 bucks compared to 15or 1600 bucks for the BFG AT's. If I can get 50,000km's out of these I'll be happy. Time will tell.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM

I dont know why you guys have been having troubles with the BF A/T's. This is my 2nd set. I have gotten almost 75,000 out of the set I have now. Not very much road noise. I do a lot of highway driving but still need to be able to get through the snow on the fields and get in and out of oil leases in the spring. I have never even come close to getting stuck. I am running the 265/70 R17 and was quoted $1200 from Tirecraft. $1350 at Kal Tire.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

Default not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I dont know why you guys have been having troubles with the BF A/T's. This is my 2nd set. I have gotten almost 75,000 out of the set I have now. Not very much road noise. I do a lot of highway driving but still need to be able to get through the snow on the fields and get in and out of oil leases in the spring. I have never even come close to getting stuck. I am running the 265/70 R17 and was quoted $1200 from Tirecraft. $1350 at Kal Tire.
I am running 18" tires on my superduty. I have gone through probably 6 or 7 sets of BFG AT's and they are a pretty decent winter tire but not that great in mud. Overall a pretty good tire (hence 6 or 7 sets). These duratracs seem a little softer so not sure if I'll get the wear out of them, but they sure seem great on ice and snow so far and have a little more open tread design than the AT's so I'm hoping they will be a little better in the mud come spring. Time will tell.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Just got some duratracs put on the truck this morning and they are awesome so far. 1100 bucks compared to 15or 1600 bucks for the BFG AT's. If I can get 50,000km's out of these I'll be happy. Time will tell.
I got 30 000km on my set and the other truck has 40000km....treads still look new-very little wear. We were advised to rotated them every 7500 km by our local Fountain Tire store...its free rotations. We are also running Nitrogen in the tires inside of air. Suppose to run cooler, tire not to loose its shape when its really cold out. Since we haul heavy trailers alot inthe summer, we thought we would try the Nitrogen.