Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Default Suffield.....just a thought

i just had a thought regarding the recent sustenance hunting that the natives did from sask. What if everyone that got drawn for the quota hunt boycotted the harvest of the 500 cows in protest for all the Bulls getting harvested. You think it would **** off a lot of people but in return we can play that game too. Any way just thought it might be a good jab towards the way things are handled here in alberta. Just for the record I did get drawn and am planning to harvest my elk but if something like this would help the future of hunting in ab I would be on the wagon
Old 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM

You may boycott or protest all you like ,I say take the tags you have and fill the freezer .
Its the Canadian way to look the other way because We all know Nothing will ever change either way.
Our government will not stand up for equal rights if your just an ordinary guy!
The facts are written in history and historically .

Enjoy the elk meat ..
Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM

getting old......
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 PM

The elk numbers need reduction, participate or don't...,decide before you draw.

LC
Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM

a protest will just cast more bad light on the hunting community. do we really need that? if you have the tag go and enjoy the hunt.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
getting old......
x1000000000000
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
getting old......
You have to give it some time to blow over, it's not like it happened 150yrs ago....

It's hard to understand the frustration they are going through when you're not in their shoes. Like I stated in another thread, I've got no dog in this fight, I've never applied for a draw there, I do all my hunting within a 10 mile radius of my quarter in north central AB, and I do ok. The reason you are seeing so many of these threads pop up is obviously because it has affected a lot of law abiding Alberta Sportsmen who have been applying fo an oppertunity at potentially harvesting a trophy class elk, it's like the carpet has been pulled out from under their feet. Can you not understand how frustrating and disappointing that would be for them?

It doesn't affect me personally but I do understand the frustration over it and don't blame them for wanting to talk about it here, where else can the talk about it. It's real easy to not click on the thread, if it's getting old there are a bunch of other interesting threads going right now, you gotta let the guys vent somewhere.

JMO.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
i just had a thought regarding the recent sustenance hunting that the natives did from sask. What if everyone that got drawn for the quota hunt boycotted the harvest of the 500 cows in protest for all the Bulls getting harvested. You think it would **** off a lot of people but in return we can play that game too. Any way just thought it might be a good jab towards the way things are handled here in alberta. Just for the record I did get drawn and am planning to harvest my elk but if something like this would help the future of hunting in ab I would be on the wagon

Sadly it won't do anything, they want dead elk and a combination of ESRD management and natives is the fastest way to do that.

What someone needs to do it tell the minister that the ministers tag is valued at $10,000 and that he wasted about $4million worth of elk. Double if you take the auctioned tags value. While its not a true value, money and dead elk are the only thing on their minds.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:19 PM

If you really think something will change I suggest buying a lottery ticket. About the same chance. Even if it ever got to where they were the only ones that could hunt it still would not change. Never has, never will!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM

If everyone boycotted, they would just let the Indians do all of the culling.

IMO
Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
getting old......
Exactly!
The numbers got too high and they let a crew come in and clean house.
Next crews are coming shortly.
Don't go and they will call in a couple of other crews....so the story would go.
I vote any new suffield threads get closed, or well, you guys just keep rehashing it but you must be tired by now, or not!
This will be my first and last post on this issue that will not change in our near future.
WDF
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The elk numbers need reduction, participate or don't...,decide before you draw.

LC
Yep. Helicopter or tags. The choice is ours.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM

Default suffield elk hunt 2015

Non native people who have complained verbally and openly on the news etc, my thoughts are they have the boyish (why cant I play in the sand box ) attitude. Trophy horns are just that HORNS, you cant eat them. Natives can feed their elders and the children with the meat off a bull or a cow elk, meat is meat . Natives dont need a big rack to feel like a real hunter. The buffalo are long gone and small pieces of land we populate stays the same, history says and is still saying I want I want I waaaaaaaa nt from non natives . Do you want to be native ? Unless you are YOU CANT!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM

Default suffield elk hunt 2015

Non native people who have complained verbally and openly on the news etc, my thoughts are they have the boyish (why cant I play in the sand box ) attitude. Trophy horns are just that HORNS, you cant eat them. Natives can feed their elders and the children with the meat off a bull or a cow elk, meat is meat . Natives dont need a big rack to feel like a real hunter. The buffalo are long gone and small pieces of land we populate stays the same, history says and is still saying I want I want I waaaaaaaa nt from non natives . Do you want to be native ? Unless you are YOU CANT!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST View Post
Welcome to the forum.lol
Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
So why are they shooting the big bulls if you can't eat the horns? you can get way more meat in the truck for the elders and children if you aren't hauling the horns of monster bulls back home. Plus the younger ones will taste better. Seems to me like they need a big rack to feel like a real "hunter". Also if they weren't allowed to shoot bulls we would be hearing the waaaaaaa and the cries of racism.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

Heads stay behind I believe, CWD testing.

TBark
Old 01-27-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Heads stay behind I believe, CWD testing.

TBark
Heads stay, antlers don't. subsistence capes will be found elsewhere in Alberta
Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
So why are they shooting the big bulls if you can't eat the horns? you can get way more meat in the truck for the elders and children if you aren't hauling the horns of monster bulls back home. Plus the younger ones will taste better. Seems to me like they need a big rack to feel like a real "hunter". Also if they weren't allowed to shoot bulls we would be hearing the waaaaaaa and the cries of racism.
Your getting subsistence hunting and FN hunting rights mixed up.
Two different animals (excuse the pun)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Your getting subsistence hunting and FN hunting rights mixed up.
Two different animals (excuse the pun)
Yes it was in reply to one single person who is confused at what is happening in suffield, they also mistook it for subsistence hunting.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM

Not sure of the legalities on this but what if SRD went out and knocked down 500 elk and donated the meat to the food banks.To me it sounds like a win win solution,Lots of families in hard times could definetly use the meat.Going to be a lot more also with oil crashing.Food bank from my town has a hard time keeping up with the demand that seems to be increasing every year.No need to flame me as this is just my opinion
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM

Another thought, when it came to harvesting bulls, it might have been possible to auction those tags off like $10,000 or something for a bull. Think of the revenue that could have brought in. Just a thought.....
Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
Not sure of the legalities on this but what if SRD went out and knocked down 500 elk and donated the meat to the food banks.To me it sounds like a win win solution,Lots of families in hard times could definetly use the meat.Going to be a lot more also with oil crashing.Food bank from my town has a hard time keeping up with the demand that seems to be increasing every year.No need to flame me as this is just my opinion
Good point as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
Another thought, when it came to harvesting bulls, it might have been possible to auction those tags off like $10,000 or something for a bull. Think of the revenue that could have brought in. Just a thought.....
Or better yet, have a lottery.Tens of thousand would apply and the $3-$4 application fee would generate the money easy. stagger the draws and announce the winners right away so one could apply more than once. Mucho $ generated with equal opportunity.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Or better yet, have a lottery.Tens of thousand would apply and the $3-$4 application fee would generate the money easy. stagger the draws and announce the winners right away so one could apply more than once. Mucho $ generated with equal opportunity.
Actually that is a very sweet idea! then everyone could participate and yes more money would generated. Maybe next time?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Nice first post, me thinks you had another handle on here before, lol
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:

So how come a wack of trophy bulls were shot? If you're just needing meat why give yourself the extra work of dealing with the horns. Nobody can pull that "meat is meat" card anymore. NOW there are trophy hunters and meat hunters. If you want meat, shoot something that will be good eating, (a young cow elk vs. an old bull) I have no idea if you're native or not or how you live your life but in my opinion, the old days are over, the white man took your land and ate all your buffalo, **** happens, this is 2015. I'm as native as any native in alberta now, therefore I think all the natives need to get a job, no more checks, no more discounts, free hunting and all the free hand outs just because you got all your pee pees slapped when Columbus came to America, get off the res, get a job, pull your own weight and make your own living, obey the rules and regulations the whiteys have to.

My opinion.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
So how come a wack of trophy bulls were shot? If you're just needing meat why give yourself the extra work of dealing with the horns. Nobody can pull that "meat is meat" card anymore. NOW there are trophy hunters and meat hunters. If you want meat, shoot something that will be good eating, (a young cow elk vs. an old bull) I have no idea if you're native or not or how you live your life but in my opinion, the old days are over, the white man took your land and ate all your buffalo, **** happens, this is 2015. I'm as native as any native in alberta now, therefore I think all the natives need to get a job, no more checks, no more discounts, free hunting and all the free hand outs just because you got all your pee pees slapped when Columbus came to America, get off the res, get a job, pull your own weight and make your own living, obey the rules and regulations the whiteys have to.

My opinion.
Well said
Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Starting to feel like Winnipeg here.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post

My opinion.
My opinion as well. jwilson for Prime Minister.
Closed Thread