Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 PM

Good luck popcan. Look foreward to seeing the results.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 PM

Mb-MBR - there is an existing trail running parallel but not directly to the ridge line of the river. I tried to hack my way in there 6 different ways last winter & gave up on 5 of those attempts. All were within 500 yds. It was brutal. That machine of mine is tough I’ll say that for sure !! I’d make it in about half way & give up. Heavy timber, stumps & tons of dead falls. It was too much for me. Wound up bypassing it by a few kilometres & backtracking through an old cut over & finally managed to lumber my way in the last 100 yds right to the edge. There are better ridges… closer shotes & higher up but a guy’d half kill himself lumbering in trying to get there. Any of you guys that have tried mapping stuff on the computer may agree that It looks so close on a map. Until you get boots on the ground…Whole different ballgame out there… Return trip on my odometer is 46Km. Average travel speed is roughly 18-22km/h
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Wow... I love that set up especially that rig
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Mb-MBR - there is an existing trail running parallel but not directly to the ridge line of the river. I tried to hack my way in there 6 different ways last winter & gave up on 5 of those attempts. All were within 500 yds. It was brutal. That machine of mine is tough I’ll say that for sure !! I’d make it in about half way & give up. Heavy timber, stumps & tons of dead falls. It was too much for me. Wound up bypassing it by a few kilometres & backtracking through an old cut over & finally managed to lumber my way in the last 100 yds right to the edge. There are better ridges… closer shotes & higher up but a guy’d half kill himself lumbering in trying to get there. Any of you guys that have tried mapping stuff on the computer may agree that It looks so close on a map. Until you get boots on the ground…Whole different ballgame out there… Return trip on my odometer is 46Km. Average travel speed is roughly 18-22km/h
Thanks Popcan...................what are you hauling or winching up the bank? Do you leave camp items out there?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Looks good Popcan

Good luck. They are out there. My wife saw one standing on the side of Athabasca Ave the other day, it scooted back in the bush (between Athabasca and Hwy 63) when she drove by. Meanwhile my son, grandson and I were in the bush looking for critters, tracks and getting some firewood. There are a lot of wolf tracks where we were (on the way to where you go). We saw what was left of the wolf carcass too, not much. Grandson (3 years old) was kinda intrigued by that, wanted to know what it was, and then wanted to see a live one. I think he just might be a hunter in the making .

Guess I'll be packing the rifle when I go back out again - just in case .

Maybe we'll see each other out there again someday this winter.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
A day or two with a quality power-saw should put you right where you need to be, it really about how bad you want to get in there. I sure like your long rear tracks they must float really good and climb well too.
Many people that run track don't know that there odometer and speedo are not accurate to tracks and only to the factory size tires. Good luck with the wolves.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
A day or two with a quality power-saw should put you right where you need to be, it really about how bad you want to get in there.
Ya, don't be so god dam lazy Popcan
Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Default Two Weeks In - No Wolves Yet

Yeah Tork getting soft in our old age eh… lol Two weeks in today & no wolves yet. They’re around though… Let’s face it there isn’t a ton floating around at that spot but it’s heating up nicely. Like a slow motion heart attack Think it took three weeks last year before they started coming. It took a week for the buzzards to finally start hitting it & they’re on it hard now thankfully...even though the grub is like cement in this cold. Love the ravens. Big ruckus going on around the grub. The trail cam shut down because of the cold temps so no pics of the coyote & fox that are coming in. Sat for a few hours yesterday… super comfortable in the blind. We’ll hopefully see some more activity by next weekend… A few pics from yesterday

Stay warm fellas

Cheers
Old 01-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Hey popcan, if you don't mind the asking, what are you using for bait? Anything special to keep a good strong aroma even in the cold? beaver perhaps? and what are you shooting for a rifle?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Welcome back; I loved last year's detailed storytelling. You organize like a general planning the D-day amphibious assault.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 PM

7 REM MAG some of it is meat scraps from the butcher that were left over bear baits that went rotten. Real ronchy stench to it. You can smell it from 30 yds away easy… + some fresh. The gun is a Tikka 270 shot mag & win bst.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Wink Live bait

Those moose will attract the wolves too.
I'm sure they will appreciate any wolf you take out
Good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Any update Popcan?
Once thing I have been told by many trappers is to not use meat scraps from the butcher. I guess the wolves can smell the chemicals injected into the meat like hormones and steroids and such. Also they are not used to beef and pork. Not sure if it is true or not but just a thought. I also notice on my coyote baits that the wild animal carcasses smell more than domestic carcasses. Next year maybe try and get a beaver rotting in a bucket all summer and put it in a grain sack and hang it in the tree for scent. See if that helps any to get the wolves in a bit faster for you. Good luck on your adventure. It sure is fun reading this
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

i have a barrel of scraps to donate to the cause (i have really ripened it)

that's if you want it, i'd like to see you put down a wolf
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

awesome thread again...hope you get 3 with one shot this time...any less will just be disappointing
Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
awesome thread again...hope you get 3 with one shot this time...any less will just be disappointing
No doubt, that's what happens when you set the bar high, we anxiously wait for a new video.

Can you cruise in high gear when using tracks on a packed trail or is low gear the norm? Love that Rubicon with tracks.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 PM

No updates right now nube but I’m heading there this weekend & really hoping to have something on the trail cams this time. If there is I’ll share the pics. Thanks for the info btw. That beaver carcass I think is a great idea… do it for the bears. Heard the same thing about the chemicals but I think thats an old wives tale myself. Can’t say for sure though. It’s likely that the numbers aren’t up right there. Lots a few miles to the west & south & they’ll be travelling sooner or later. I just want one is all. I’m in no big rush to tell you the truth but the anticipation is really starting to build up as time goes by.

Sooner that rig’ll do 30-35 mph on a packed trail. Smooooth !! It’s only a 500. Low gear is the norm for me… Getting out to the set up through the woods is like doing a 10 mile mogul run. Beat the back right outta ya…lol

Trail cam pics fellas …. gotta start getting trail cam pics !!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Welllll......

How'd the weekend go. It was great weather to be outside up here this weekend
Old 01-19-2015, 03:44 PM

It’s not going so good right where I’m at that’s for sure… YET ! There was one that was travelling up river & as soon as it came to within about 60yds it hit the brakes & cut through the woods. Tons of wolves south & west apparently. Pretty near an infestation apparently. Not loosing hope but I am a little less optimistic. May have to head south & kill one with the caller at my bear spot. That’d be too easy though. It’s all about location I guess. Ahhhh well… it is what it is. When stuff starts going down I’ll share it. It’s awfully quiet so far fellas

Coyote

Bye for now
Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to drop $2200 on a shotgun for predator hunting!

Beautiful setup!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Default wolf

Nube is right. Domestic meat scraps do have an odour. It's actually poor wolf bait. You can't beat wild animals for a natural smell. Wolves are pretty smart. I know on my coyote baits in farmland, if the dead cow was injected with any medicine less than 30 days from the day it died, it is hard to get the coyotes in.
Wolves are the same.
Best non wild bait I've used is a horse. But it's hard to use out on crown land, as it isn't inspected.

Best of Luck Popcan. If you need a beaver carcass or two, PM me, I have few froze and looking for a good home like your bait pile.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Hey popcan, first I'd like to say I enjoy following ur thread. You've got a great set up. I see ur using ur 270 again I remember reading last season you planned on getting a 243 just wondering why ur still using the 270?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
No updates right now nube but I’m heading there this weekend & really hoping to have something on the trail cams this time. If there is I’ll share the pics. Thanks for the info btw. That beaver carcass I think is a great idea… do it for the bears. Heard the same thing about the chemicals but I think thats an old wives tale myself. Can’t say for sure though. It’s likely that the numbers aren’t up right there. Lots a few miles to the west & south & they’ll be travelling sooner or later. I just want one is all. I’m in no big rush to tell you the truth but the anticipation is really starting to build up as time goes by.

Sooner that rig’ll do 30-35 mph on a packed trail. Smooooth !! It’s only a 500. Low gear is the norm for me… Getting out to the set up through the woods is like doing a 10 mile mogul run. Beat the back right outta ya…lol

Trail cam pics fellas …. gotta start getting trail cam pics !!
Does your gps tell you your doing 35 mph or the speedo on the atv?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Popcan are you dragging bait up and down the river ? A nice half moose that's been getting ripe for a week or so works great. Drag it against the fur and chop the odd chunk off with an axe while you go. I'd do at least 10 miles up and down the river. Another thing you can try is making new trails to the area and dragging them too. Wolves love to follow trails
Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Sled that rifle is still on backorder since June 2013. Darrel at Warehouse Sports is taking care of it. Nobody would give me the time of day when I wanted my Benelli except him & that one took just over a year… Just saying. Husky the speed is off the GPS. The ratio from hub to track is not 1 to 1 so the odometer is off by quite a bit for actual speed. It’s gotta be hard packed like pave too btw. Right down to a crawl in powder. Tork I appreciate the offer buddy but we still got a couple of months of winter so not gonna start jumping out of my skin just yet. It’s gonna happen one way or another...
Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Tork I appreciate the offer buddy but we still got a couple of months of winter so not gonna start jumping out of my skin just yet. It’s gonna happen one way or another...
More of a suggestion then a offer. Wolves are funny animals and seem to travel with no rythm or reason most of the time. If they have no reason to travel into your area they won't. You can waste a pile of time waiting for them to show up.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Popcan...................any updates.....?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
More of a suggestion then a offer. Wolves are funny animals and seem to travel with no rythm or reason most of the time. If they have no reason to travel into your area they won't. You can waste a pile of time waiting for them to show up.
I'm not opposing your theory. It could be possible that domestic meat does have an odor. Popcan was successful using the same bait last year. While bear baiting we've had wolves on camera eating old beef scraps from our baits.( would have shot one but they only came in at night). Anything is possible especially with the wolf population up here
Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
I'm not opposing your theory. It could be possible that domestic meat does have an odor. Popcan was successful using the same bait last year. While bear baiting we've had wolves on camera eating old beef scraps from our baits.( would have shot one but they only came in at night). Anything is possible especially with the wolf population up here
I never said domestic meat wouldn't work, that was somebody else. I was talking about dragging trails with bait to attract wolves to the area. If the wolves don't know the bait is there they won't ever visit the area unless it just happens by fluke. I've had lots of wolves travel past bait sites as close as 500 yards away and they had no idea it was there. Dragging leaves nice scent trails to your set up. But like posted earlier, Popcan can do whatever he wants
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I never said domestic meat wouldn't work, that was somebody else. I was talking about dragging trails with bait to attract wolves to the area. If the wolves don't know the bait is there they won't ever visit the area unless it just happens by fluke. I've had lots of wolves travel past bait sites as close as 500 yards away and they had no idea it was there. Dragging leaves nice scent trails to your set up. But like posted earlier, Popcan can do whatever he wants
Okkkkk I gotcha!! That makes sense!! Sorry for the misinterpretation