Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Default Sheep Hunting tent Choice?

Hey guys

I’m getting geared up for a 10 day sheep hunt this coming fall looking over so many forums and looking at a pile of tents. My friend recommended a tent from Sierra Designs I really like the looks of them and at 3lb 9oz works fits right in my weight budget.

Has anyone tried this tent thanks for any and all help
Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 PM

I think your on the right track, I've had one since 1998. It's seen Mckinley, Logan, the Nahanni, the Mckennzie, dozens of backcountry ski weekend, Mountain bike trips. Its treated me very well. Its been to Calgary tent and awning twice since I've owned it, First was to have all the anchor points on the fly re-built- high mountain winds did a number to it. Second was to get the main door zipper replaced- mostly because of being cold a lazy, not opening it all the way and diving through the hole. My vote is for yes.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM

You should look at floorless tipis or tarp tents. You get way more room without a weight penalty. If this is your first sheep hunt you will learn very quickly that pack weight going in counts. Every ounce you add equals pounds and pounds equal pain quick. Go through gear lists from previous sheep hunters to see what they use.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
You should look at floorless tipis or tarp tents. You get way more room without a weight penalty. If this is your first sheep hunt you will learn very quickly that pack weight going in counts. Every ounce you add equals pounds and pounds equal pain quick. Go through gear lists from previous sheep hunters to see what they use.
Thanks for the tips ill take any advise as I can I have been reading all the sheep threads to learn as much as possible and hitting the gym every day at 5:30 am before work.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM

I've heard good reviews on the KUIU mountain star tents. Only thing is last I heard they were done making them for the year. That may have been for 2014 though
Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 PM

I would not go floorless. Rains and snows to much on my sheep hunts
Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm thinking the same thing Ill split the wieight with my buddy and take a bit more wieght and be able to get in if it hits the fan up on the side of a mountain.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM

I'm hoping to get out for my first sheep hunt this year too. Ive done quite a bit of backpacking though, and I use an MSR Hoop tent. Its right at 4lbs, but sets up in minutes and sleeps 2 + gear comfortably. Not sure if you're looking for a solo or two man, but if you are hunting with a partner then its a great option.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
I double this, these tents are awesome and light, plus you can use a lightweight tent stove in them to keep you warm when the snow flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Not sure how this is a problem, just because it doesn't have a floor doesn't mean everything gets wet when it rains. Just look at all the canvas wall tents, they don't have floors and nobody is complaining about the rain and snow.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 PM

I use a hilliberg. They are not as light as some tents but are bomb proof! Kuiu doesn't sell the tent anymore because everyone sent them back cause they leaked like crazy. I would not by a tent from a manufacturer like kuiu just because when I'm spending top dollar and need it to perform I trust tried and proven companies like hilliberg, big Anges, north face, Msr. Lots for good tent builders. Just my opinion though
Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Do your research and decide whats important to you. For me, a floorless tipi with a stove makes hunting on the mountain much more pleasurable. The ability to dry clothes/socks/boots and eat breakfast in a warm area is worth the weight of taking with me. This forum is an excellent resource for info with many threads discussing the topic and any other info.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post

I did not like the floorless set up either. I tried a kifaru mega tarp two years ago on a sheep hunt and hated it. The tent needed to be staked down really tight to avoid excessive flapping in the wind and I found rain soaked ground slowly crept in the sides and eventually soaked everything in the tent. I have gone back to a standard tent a hubba hubba and am happy again.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:24 PM

I've used a Sierra designs on many sheep hunts over the years, and it has held up well. I've recently gone to a hilliberg, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM

I've spent some time living in a tent (tree planter for 10 seasons), and have done some backpacking. Honestly, I think the weight-saving trend has gone a little bit too far.
There are weight saving gains to be made, but it usually doesn't come from cutting out ounces here or there, it comes from cutting out whole items.
As far as a tent goes, I had a Sierra Designs, and it was really good, and I also had a MEC tarn, which was a great tent.
I would base your decision on if you actually want a tent or not. If not, invest in a good tarp and a good sleeping bag liner to keep you warm and dry.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
I double this, these tents are awesome and light, plus you can use a lightweight tent stove in them to keep you warm when the snow flies.

Not sure how this is a problem, just because it doesn't have a floor doesn't mean everything gets wet when it rains. Just look at all the canvas wall tents, they don't have floors and nobody is complaining about the rain and snow.
If you set it up on a snow covered mountain or a downpour yes your floor is wet. Also i think the OP is talking about a tent he can pack around easy not leave up like a canvas wall tent that has a stove and in turn helps dry out the ground overtime. Also when im sheep hunting the tent must be free standing, you cant peg into rock. Also should have a vestibule to keep your pack/boots in when sleeping. But be aware gear in a vestibule can get wet, theres no floor in it haha
Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I've spent some time living in a tent (tree planter for 10 seasons), and have done some backpacking. Honestly, I think the weight-saving trend has gone a little bit too far.
There are weight saving gains to be made, but it usually doesn't come from cutting out ounces here or there, it comes from cutting out whole items.
As far as a tent goes, I had a Sierra Designs, and it was really good, and I also had a MEC tarn, which was a great tent.
I would base your decision on if you actually want a tent or not. If not, invest in a good tarp and a good sleeping bag liner to keep you warm and dry.
X2 on the MEC tarn tents. I've got a tarn 3 that Ive used on three person trips and an ancient eureka rising sun, which is pretty much the same thing as the tarn 2. Both have been great tents, totally bomb proof in super high winds thanks to the low profile and shape, (point the back end of the tent into the wind). A couple negatives on the two man, the head height of the 2 man is a little cramped. The vestibule is a bit small for all your gear with two guys. I get around this by stuffing my pack in a garbage bag and leaving it outside. Another negative is the bottom end of the tent is a bit small and your feet are a bit cramped at the bottom of the tent. With two guys it can cause a bit of condensation to form on your sleeping bag at the foot end. You can minimize this by tieing out the fly to provide maximum ventilation. I would also recomend a silitarp as part of your shelter requirements. I consider it survival gear when sheep hunting and pack it pretty much all the time now. You can tie up a good shelter in pretty much any spot and suffer out rain storms etc without having to bail off the mountain early.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 PM

X2 on a tipi. Throw in a titanium stove. 6 pounds all in. Can get that almost down to 4 pounds if you go with a smaller tipi and ditch the pole and cut your Could u put me on call for 14-32 comp. please. own at camp. They are 3 times the size of a 2 man tent and are a palace for 2 guys and all gear or 3 guys and minimum gear. If u have ever been weathered out there is nothing worse than laying on your back for 2 days straight with the rain pounding down. Nothing beats Sitting around a nice wood stove with dry gear on a bad weather day. I've pitched one in very wet conditions and the ground is dry in no time after firing up the stove. Also great going in and out with muddy boots. Tall enough to change standing up. I could go on and on. Never going back to cramped pop tents other than on a quick 1 man trip and even then I would be tempted to take the tipi.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM

Have a look at Integral Designs. Great company and makes some amazing stuff. Ultra light, ultra tough, and super well designed. I've had the unishelter bivy for 5+ years and it is still like new. I put in months in that thing each year and I trust it in the hardest weather to this day.

A touch pricey but worth it.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 PM

hilliberge atko all the way!! 9 sheep season so far bombproof, nice vestibule to keep gear dry and to cook in holds up well in wind rain and snow.

sept 2/2014 8000 feet

sept 3/2014
Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM

Default Big Agnes

There are quite a few Big Agnes models. I've get this one............and I like it. There is no hauling a heating stove around in the mountains for me.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-690/b...055&f=10+50055
Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Don't know if you've checked them out or not, but the MEC tarn 2 or 3 is a great tent and very reasonably priced as well. They'll stand up to anything I've experienced....just thought I'd throw that out there
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM

Default tipi

I've been looking into this for some time and am about to purchase a seek outside tipi looking at 4 man in the thicker material. Just trying to decide if I'm going to go with the box style stove or maybe a tigoat cylinder. I stayed in a kifaru a few years back and loved it. The fella that had the tent lost it in the flood and replaced it with the seek outside and has been thrilled with it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 PM

We used a Kuiu 2p on our goat hunt in BC last fall. It performed well and is light, but we did snap a pole (It comes with a repair sleeve so was not a problem). We only experienced limited light rain, so can't comment on the leaking issue. Condensation was definately an issue with everything quite wet by morning. We did some research and are going to try a msr hubba hubba nx this season and see how it performs.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks all for the great info what do you guys typically pack for food ive picked up a bunch of the Backpackers Pantry was also thinking about getting some Mountain house to try before the big hunt. Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM

1 meal for every day. 1 cliff bar every day. 1 peanut butter cup bar every 2nd day. Trail mix, some times icheban, oatmeal and coffee. And hopefully sheep!

I have a tendency to over pack for food. Now a have stashed food all over my hunting area, which has come in handy!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcarcol View Post
We used a Kuiu 2p on our goat hunt in BC last fall. It performed well and is light, but we did snap a pole (It comes with a repair sleeve so was not a problem). We only experienced limited light rain, so can't comment on the leaking issue. Condensation was definately an issue with everything quite wet by morning. We did some research and are going to try a msr hubba hubba nx this season and see how it performs.
I have heard of a few different kuiu tents leaking last fall and as soon as it was posted on their forum the tents were suddenly sold out. I'm interested if they are going to fix the issue and put them back out there.

How was kuiu's warranty service on the broken pole?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Thanks all for the great info what do you guys typically pack for food ive picked up a bunch of the Backpackers Pantry was also thinking about getting some Mountain house to try before the big hunt. Thanks
Cant really go wrong with those pre packed meals.
I find i get very hungry between meals. I usually bring a bunch of snickers, trail mix for snacks.
Cold weather you want lots of fats. Helps keep you warm, lots of calories.
Cheese, olive oil, peanut butter, deli meats like salami.
I usually also eat a protein bar or two everyday.
Do some searches online, figure out what your caloric requirements are.
Do NOT skimp on food.
For winter camping i eat right around 6500 calories a day.
Any less im in whats called a caloric deficiet.
(burnining more calories than im eating)
Food is just as important as footwear imo.
Best of luck, be sure to take lots of pictures.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
I have heard of a few different kuiu tents leaking last fall and as soon as it was posted on their forum the tents were suddenly sold out. I'm interested if they are going to fix the issue and put them back out there.

It was the outfitters tent. So I don't know what happened. On one of the hunts before us, they had a lot of rain and said they had to put a tarp over the kuiu tent. The outfitter had purchased several kuiu tents.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post

I experienced a broken pole with my tent second time it was set up. Kuiu was good on the warranty and quickly sent me a new pole section. I also managed to find a pole section at MEC which the service guy gave me for free. He also cut a couple extra repair sleeves for it. Third time or so I set it up I noticed that the fly was separating where the connection clips to the tent body were attached to the fly. At that point I sent it back knowing there was no way the tent was going to get through one season. They were good on the refund no problem.
I asked when they thought they might have the problem figured out but the fellow didn't know.

Addition.
I think the tent would have definitly let water through where the defects in my tent fly were.

Last edited by bdub; 01-26-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info on kuiu tents.... Wow, i heard they weren't great but I did not think they were that bad. glad I went with the msr hubba hubba.