Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Over the past several years I've had Bushnell, Leica, and Swarovski rangefinders in that order. Last summer I purchased a SIG2200, worked fine for about 2 hours in the gopher patch before it totally quit. I made up my mind on quality right there, returned it to the store and purchased a Leica2000.
Maybe I got a bad one but was not willing to take a chance on another SIG.
The Leica was and is excellent.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Went to Cabela's to look at the Leica. I tried the 1600 and the 2000, and the funny thing was the 2000 gave different readings than the 1600 by 2-4 yards on targets in the store. I then tried the Nikon at $400 and it was pretty close to the 1600. So how do you know which one is true? 2-4 yards in the store could be much more at 400. What do you think?

One was in meters and the other in yards

Last edited by Cpetersen4; 04-06-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpetersen4 View Post
You know it never even crossed my mind. Boy do I feel stupid!

I am also looking at the Nikon 3000 with image stabilization. The videos sure look impressive. I just need to find who carries this model.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Another nod for Leica 1600 only downside was cost but you get over that fast then you can range and not just see - - on the indicator.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpetersen4 View Post
I think we have a winner
Old 04-06-2018, 10:01 PM

I would really consider the sig. just bought one myself (had a older Bushnell also) tried it out on some cows on a bright sunny day and was still able to range them around 800yds. Specs are up to 2 miles on reflective targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 08:39 AM

I had a Nikon Rifleman 1000 before... It was okay, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. Never got a where even close to what it claimed. I then sold it and bought a Bushnell Elite 1 mile rangefinder. It's a little bigger, but that was part of why I bought it. I like the fact that I can grab onto it with two hands and fire off a range. It's also got a tripod mount on the bottom which helps significantly because I generally have a tripod if I'm hunting or shooting at ranges that would require that kind of stability anyways. I've had it out a few times and ranged out to 1200m with it, but I havent really been anywhere to try it further. It's also got some ballistic info in it which everyone is going to have a different opinion about. I personally don't use it, bit it's there.
I've never been a big fan of Bushnell products personally, but I like this one. And it's significantly cheaper than a Leica. But I'm sure that the Leica has better glass. You get what you pay for... Just depends on what you want to pay for!

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Good day all,
Looking at replacing my antique Bushnell yardage pro range finder. I am asking for your help in choosing one. I have read lots of reviews and depending on the site your on, they all come in with satisfactory results. I would like to keep the price below $700.00 if possible.
I was looking at the Leupolds, Nikons and Sig Sauers, but am open to other brands. I would like to know which ones are the most dependable and consistently accurate on animals.
Thanks for your comments.
Ever consider a bino/ rangefinder combo? Might not get one for $700, but it’s nice to kill 2 birds with one stone!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Another vote for Leica my 1000 model yard will constantly range trees to 1300 as where other brands I've tried are lucky to range out to 80% of their rating.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander44 View Post
Ever consider a bino/ rangefinder combo? Might not get one for $700, but it’s nice to kill 2 birds with one stone!
Yes I have , but I am blind in my right eye and when the range finding bino's display the reading it is always in the right tube. So with one eye I do not see it in the left lens.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Leica comparison

These guys are telling you Leica for a reason.
I’ve had mine for over 10 years now and it never occurred to me how good it was until my hunting partner bought a Vortex this past season. My partner was so disappointed with his Vortex when testing it against my ancient Leica that he returned it to Cabelas and got a Leica too.
Leica works!