Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Panther River bear mauling

http://globalnews.ca/news/3695057/ma...n-sundre-alta/
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Glad he's ok, yeah there are a few grizzly out there
Old 08-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Thats where we were camping. We've hunted the area for years and yes, we know of at least two sows and their cubs every year. We were actually there when we seen FW fly right over us in the heli with a big bear trap
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Default species

They haven't revealed which species as we have no grizzlies in AB according to the tree huggers.Harold
Old 08-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
They haven't revealed which species as we have no grizzlies in AB according to the tree huggers.Harold
That's a no brainer, No Blacks there to speak of. Does keep the speculation about Grizzly numbers alive though.

Grizz
Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I was around there too. Seen the chopper and talked to the CO. Sobering...
Old 08-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Confirmed it is a grizzly:

"Fish and wildlife officers are investigating a bear mauling in a remote area southwest of Sundre. In anticipation of bighorn sheep season, the man had been scouting about 12 – 13 km away from the trailhead when the incident took place. He was able to escape and hiked to the trailhead before driving his vehicle to the Mountanaire Lodge area. From there, he was airlifted in a private helicopter to the Sundre hospital and then later transferred to a Calgary hospital. He is being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries to his body, head and face.
Officers collected samples from the survivor’s clothing, and through DNA analysis, we have confirmed that the bear involved was a grizzly. Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear."
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear."

Guy was 13 k in, what's the sense, especially since there are probably several bears wandering around out there. Sow with two cubs at the JI couple of weeks ago. she's probably still in the neighborhood.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
That's a no brainer, No Blacks there to speak of. Does keep the speculation about Grizzly numbers alive though.

Grizz
Oh believe me, theres Black bears but they are pretty shy. We had one come into the gravel pit by mountainaire because we were eating lunch. He took right off after I seen him. Big bugger too. Apparently the mauling was a grizzly though. Wonder how he fought it off, young bear maybe? Poor guy! I wonder if he had spray and was caught off guard? When we were there friday I sensed something was off about the area
Old 08-28-2017, 06:12 PM

Default black bear

There are black bear in there but mostly big adults that know how to avoid the grizzlies.Harold
Old 08-28-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
"...are actively attempting to trap the bear."

What are they going to after/if they trap him? Release him 1-5 km deeper in the bush? Genuinely interested.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Maybe more hunters just need to sss. This may help with some of the attacks that have been happening the last few years.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear."

Guy was 13 k in, what's the sense, especially since there are probably several bears wandering around out there. Sow with two cubs at the JI couple of weeks ago. she's probably still in the neighborhood.
Yep. Just come out from tent camp today a bit south of there. Been a few around there all summer, just up higher where it`s cooler and the "tasty hikers" don`t usually venture ! Also all the young and unwary blacks have been eaten over the last 20-30 years by the "endangered cuddly teddy" bears so they have to adjust their food source to a much easier prey !
Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Maybe more hunters just need to sss. This may help with some of the attacks that have been happening the last few years.

Shoot Skin Surrender?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Shoot Skin Surrender?
Ya ya thats it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 PM

This reminds me of when there is a terrorist attack. They don't release the names because it would look bad on a certain community. Or in this case grizzly community.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Oh believe me, theres Black bears but they are pretty shy. We had one come into the gravel pit by mountainaire because we were eating lunch. He took right off after I seen him. Big bugger too. Apparently the mauling was a grizzly though. Wonder how he fought it off, young bear maybe? Poor guy! I wonder if he had spray and was caught off guard? When we were there friday I sensed something was off about the area
There was one hanging on the wall at the Mountainaire, owner shot it in his garbage, but think they're mostly east of the trunk road. Gather from a conversation I had today, his face was badly torn up. West country keeps the Sundre hospital busy, especially on long weekends. North Burnt timber is one of those places they like to dump problem bears.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Early reports from RCMP/F&W identified it as Panther River but turns out this was up North Burnt Timber. F&W said Friday it looked like it may have been a predatory attack and if they were confident in that after investigation officers would shoot it.

It also goes to show that just because you have a gun with you doesn't mean it will be somewhere it helps you when you need it.

Good for him for being able to fight off the attack and then pound 13kms out to the trailhead.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 PM

Default complacency kills

Especially if you let your guard down and the gun in not in reach.Another reason we should be allowed to pack sidearms.Harold
Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 PM

Sadly BC could start to see their fair share of this with all of the fires displacing animals and no trophy season in the coming years.

Is there a record showing a time when grizzly bears were more abundant in the mountains/foothills than they are now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:

F&W has the ability and resources to determine THE bear by DNA analysis. Thus, they do not indiscriminately kill bears. Trap the culprit and deal with it.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Sobering.....
Glad I have people I can go into the backcountry with. Strength in numbers and help if you need it.

John
highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
F&W has the ability and resources to determine THE bear by DNA analysis. Thus, they do not indiscriminately kill bears. Trap the culprit and deal with it.
Not even saying they should destroy the bear, might just have a had a bad day,, but accurate information is vital for us who use that country. Bears live there, according to Adam Miros.

Grizz
Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 PM

F&W now say this was an unprovoked attack by a grizzly. Officers are working to trap the bear, then they'll compare DNA to that found on the victims clothes and make a decision from there.

Anyone know if the hunter is on AO? Updates on how he's doing? Or how choked he is that the world knows his opening week whereabouts?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 PM

Default never likely crossed his mind

I'm sure he's just happy to be alive.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Early reports from RCMP/F&W identified it as Panther River but turns out this was up North Burnt Timber.
Huh??!! I was hunting in that exact area Friday evening, and we actually stayed in a tent overnight! I had felt like the area was spooky which caused me to abandon my ground blind early and head back to the truck. I was hearing a weird sound I had never heard before and got a bit worried, plus I had the woods to my back.

We did have pepper spray as well as a sawed off with slugs.

Now we have to go in on Friday to retrieve game cameras so the hubbie will be packing the ghetto blaster while he's in there, I'm staying in the truck!!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Huh??!! I was hunting in that exact area Friday evening, and we actually stayed in a tent overnight! I had felt like the area was spooky which caused me to abandon my ground blind early and head back to the truck. I was hearing a weird sound I had never heard before and got a bit worried, plus I had the woods to my back.

We did have pepper spray as well as a sawed off with slugs.

Now we have to go in on Friday to retrieve game cameras so the hubbie will be packing the ghetto blaster while he's in there, I'm staying in the truck!!
Keep it runnin'! lol
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 PM

Trail I was hiking on, on Sunday had Grizz Scat all over the place.Basically just filled with Buffalo Berries.
Ofcourse, the trail was full of Buffalo Berry bushes.
Definitely had my hand on the Bear Spray trigger the whole time.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Got to meet this guy at the Sportsmen Show last weekend in Edmonton. He is truly a lucky guy to have gotten out of that situation. Was the most incredible story I have ever heard. Had no idea he was a friend of a buddy of mine.

BH

Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 PM

how did he fight him off ? or her ?