Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Default Handgun ban

Greetings,

Just curious if there are any more details on this. Will there be confiscation or grandfathering in, etc? I know there was that online survey, but it doesn’t seem like there is any actual discussion.

Reason I am asking, am curious if I should hold off on any new purchases until more details emerge.

Thank you,
Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 PM

I would buy. I believe in power in numbers. Also you at least stand a chance of grandfathering if you already own one.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Get some friends and family to get their restricted licenses, there's strength in #'s. What if we could increase the license holders in Canada by 30% to 70% over our present #'s? And buy up, I agree with the grandfathering suggestion. Get it now or forever hold your peace. One cannot be part of a cause without having a stake in it.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 PM

When the last big change was made to firearms laws, back in the nineties, the number of boating accidents where guns wound up overboard and unrecoverable went sky high. Sales of 8in. PVC pipe went up, so did shovels. I guess there was a lot of garden sheds and garages going up around that time.

It was a damn shame...all those nice firearms, rusting away in lakes and rivers across the country that never even had a chance to be registered in the national gun registry.

If the Liberals somehow managed to ban handguns without grandfathering, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing happen all over again
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
When the last big change was made to firearms laws, back in the nineties, the number of boating accidents where guns wound up overboard and unrecoverable went sky high. Sales of 8in. PVC pipe went up, so did shovels. I guess there was a lot of garden sheds and garages going up around that time.

It was a damn shame...all those nice firearms, rusting away in lakes and rivers across the country that never even had a chance to be registered in the national gun registry.

If the Liberals somehow managed to ban handguns without grandfathering, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing happen all over again
I’m guessing the Libtard’s logic of reducing street guns by banning them will blow up in their dumb faces and backfire when tens of thousands of boating accidents and home burglaries result an all out fire sale to criminals.
I for one would rather sell my “newly prohibited” lost and stolen guns to the HAs,local blow dealer,or anybody else with the cash vs surrendering them for destruction to some gun grabbing leftard gubmint.....buyback/compensation program be damned,still not getting them,I’ll bury them in PVC and patiently wait for a sensible govt to take power or zombie apocalypse whichever comes first?(smart money is on the Zombies rising from the dead before a government repeal ever happens)
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

The Liberals are being constantly criticized for the handgun fiasco. With enough negative press, and there has been lots of it, it may go the same as the StatsCan fiasco.

Although the present Liberals are about as dumb as they have ever been, and with an election coming even they know that only so much negative press can be printed and Liberal lies exposed before voters start listening and moving votes away from them.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Nobody knows because they have not drafted any legislation yet. The cheapest option for them is to prohibit with grandfathering (delayed confiscation). That being the case, if you want to be in the club you need to buy in before the law changes. Even so, you will eventually loose your guns (unless the Liberals are replaced with a reasonable government), just later.
I would suggest that you pursue your sport without worrying what the government might do, encourage others to do the same, and as was said above, ensure that the maximum number of shooters are outraged by a government that blames us for crime and weakens sentences for serious criminals.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:13 PM

The thing to watch now, will be what gets transferred into the unfathomable 12.? classes after C71 gets passed, which is still in limbo in hearings. RCMP will make recommendations, the CFAC will rubber stamp it, and Goodale will rubber stamp it. Seeing as the CFAC is loaded with CCGC supporters, Goodale will have an easy time of passing Orders in Council thru on these items.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:18 PM

They continually surprise me, but I would be surprised if they did anything major this close to an election.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM

C71 gives them plausible deniability, with being able to reclassify guns without parliamentary oversight or recourse, it can be done by bureaucrats and rubber stamped by the Minister without any say from Parliament. Goodale can say the RCMP wanted it done for public safety. He may choose to add in grandfathering if he thinks it is worthwhile politically.