Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Default What am i doing wrong in the NSR

Hey guys im new to the forums and ive learned a lot from reading. but reading can only do so much. Ive been using a pickeral rig in mainly hermitage and have only caught 4 suckers and 2 goldeye. Ive tried fort sask but have no clue where the "hot spot is" (according to tfh) I am looking for pike, walleye and sturgeon.

Ive used Spoons, pickeral rigs with minnows and worms. Jigs. And notta

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if someone wouldn't mind showing me how its done. Ive gone for 5 hours each of the past 3 days and plan on going a lot this year.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

when i have free time i will show you, at hermitage have you fished the outfall, there is a ledge from the outfall underwater about 5 feet out, you cant see it so you might snag up the closer to the outfall you fish, that being said, cast a jig, any color will do, i use black though , fish on the left side of the outfall then look at the old plant there, cast to the right of it when looking then reel in very slow on the bottom ( you may lose a jig or two) but you will catch alot more pike and walleye, or you can try out from the outfall like 10 feet to avoid getting hung up on the platform, i will post pictures of the outfall for you.one second
Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks i have no idea where the outfall is lol. I usually walk down past the pipes and set up shop there or maybe 50 meters down on the next opening. You can find me there pretty much any night from 7-9 for this week. im going to try whitemud creek on sat.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM

one second pics are coming, this should help you out
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM

perfect thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 PM

Nsr Locations

How high the river was way back then.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Thats crazy i was like 60 meters away. I shall give her a try tomorrow and let you know what i come up with. you dont use pickeral rigs there?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM

you can try it, i use jiggs there on the bottom reelin in slow retrive jiggin here and there, you might lose a couple jiggs, but its worth the effort, give it a shot.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
you can try it, i use jiggs there on the bottom reelin in slow retrive jiggin here and there, you might lose a couple jiggs, but its worth the effort, give it a shot.
X 2 what he says . Jigs are cheep compared to other lures . Jig and a grub , Yellow , Green , Black are all good colors .
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 PM

BBJ, can you believe how high the water was back in 1972, imagine going rafting down it what a rush lol
Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
BBJ, can you believe how high the water was back in 1972, imagine going rafting down it what a rush lol
No doubt , I could fish it from the highway .
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 AM

I am a first time poster to the forum, and it was my first time ever fishing the NSR. But here's what happened.

This is what we did and it seemed to work...although not a lot of fish landed, my buddy did manage to land into a 10lb Walleye (he will email me the pics and I will share ASAP).

We fished the NSR west of the city on the north side of the river by Devon (on the east side of the highway where it crosses the river). Spent an couple of hours trying various Jigs/Rigs/Lures/Spoons etc. We ran into someone who fishes near the city regularly who said his friends catch fish at this spot all the time, although he never had.

EVENTUALLY @ about 730pm I catch the 1st fish. Small pike using a 3/8oz jighead with a 6"green/purple worm with a little piece of hot dog attached (sounds crazy, but I usually use beef heart/liver attached to my jig and have done well fishing for Walleye in a lake in a boat....I wasn't sure if it would work from shore, in the river, with a hot dog, but it did!). 10 mins later the guy we met was fly fishing (I think he was using a sinking line with some type of nymph) also caught a small pike. That was it for about 30 mins, then my buddy catches a mid size pike on the same setup I was running.

THEN 2 casts later he catches a 30" 10lb Walleye with the same "worm/hot dog" setup (he never even lost the little slice of hot dog on his hook from the pike...lol). We were all pretty surprised, but it was nice to see that it was possible to catch some nice size Walleye from shore near the city.

It died down after that, but I am sure we will be back.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 AM

Good to hear, never fished out there before, sounds like its good fishing by devon though, everyone says its better sturgen fishing as well
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM

idk whenever im fishing the river I have never caught a sturgeon myself, but have seen the most pulled out in the hole about 15 m out from the gravel bed near the whitemud creek mouth, :/
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Good job on the pics. If you go right of the outspout past there is a little beach with an awesome back eddy. P-rig and worms and minnows about 30 ft out. nice eyes and tons of gold eye. The great thing is you hardly need any weight so the fight is good. Hope this helps as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Thanks guys im going out the tonight ill letcha know what I catch . Appreciate the help
Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM

are most of the fish Resident fish?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
when i have free time i will show you, at hermitage have you fished the outfall, there is a ledge from the outfall underwater about 5 feet out, you cant see it so you might snag up the closer to the outfall you fish, that being said, cast a jig, any color will do, i use black though , fish on the left side of the outfall then look at the old plant there, cast to the right of it when looking then reel in very slow on the bottom ( you may lose a jig or two) but you will catch alot more pike and walleye, or you can try out from the outfall like 10 feet to avoid getting hung up on the platform, i will post pictures of the outfall for you.one second
Yup...I used to fish there also. Tons of fish. ON a pickeral rig I would often get double headers...pike/walleye or goldeye/walleye or goldeye/goldeye or walleye/walleye...with ling mixed in. Caught a dozen sauger a year there...but they are rare. Water goes up and down. Fishing just upstream of there and casting out I caught a beauty 8.5 lb walleye. My biggest ever.

I was also fishing there the year when the tornado hit. The clouds got dark and it started to rain so me and my brother packed up and headed over to the Sturgeon River...came back later that afternoon and all the trees had been twisted off. Scary.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Most of the fish here are always moving so mostly new fish all the time
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 PM

Just got back from hermitage. had a good day a nice walleye and pike. lost a few others but overall much better then the last few days. Thanks for the advice Shawn and everyone else.

P.S. Guys beside me caught at least 6 walleye and 2 pike
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Right on man, good to hear, yea all the big fish are being caught right now as well, its awsome.