Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Sage warranty

I have a sage fli with a broken tip. It went back for warranty through the shop I purchased the rod 6 weeks monday. Has anybody dealt with a warranty through sage? What was the time line? The store only tells me they will call when its ready, but When? Supposed to go to BC soon for vacation, wouldnt be much fun without a fly rod. Any info appreciated, need to decide if I have to buy another rod.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM

I did the same thing so I will be using their service ...here is their on line service .. I may go through WSS though will see which is quickest

caught one World Record tippet record with out the rod tip though..lmao
just have to finish up the paper work and send in for record

David

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/warranty/
Old 07-07-2013, 12:40 PM

You should contact Redington/Sage directly and see what is going on. I had mine back in less than a month but it was a Redington product not a Sage.

The difference being that Redington blanks are purchased overseas and Sage blanks are made in house. In the case of a discontinued rod like yours I have heard they sometimes actually have to manufacture a replacement piece and that several months wait is not unusual. On discontinued Redington gear they generally just offer up a newer model.

Regardless their warrantee is awesome and they will look after you but unfortunately maybe not as soon as you would like. If you e-mail or call you will get an intelligent response and there may be more than one option offered to try and help you out.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM

My shooting/fishing buddy bought a Sage Fly rod and the tip was stepped on and broke.
Sage covered it with a $50.00 deductible and six month turn around.
He eventually got a new tip for the rod.
Your Results may differ though.
Rob
Old 07-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Took my friend about 8 weeks +/- a week or so.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
My shooting/fishing buddy bought a Sage Fly rod and the tip was stepped on and broke.
Sage covered it with a $50.00 deductible and six month turn around.
He eventually got a new tip for the rod.
Your Results may differ though.
Rob
Wow 6 months
I broke a section of my TFO BVK, sent it off and received the new piece within 4 days. And only a $30.00 fee.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM

6-8 weeks is pretty standard, depending on the model and if they have stock, if they have to build a new one it can be months.

Over the years I've probably sent them 20 warranties they always return right around the time you are getting frustrated about not having it.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Wow 6 months
I broke a section of my TFO BVK, sent it off and received the new piece within 4 days. And only a $30.00 fee.
TFO is convenient for sure, with no cross borders if you are in Alberta. Just don't break more than one section as it is a $30 per broken section fee.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Sent back a couple broken rods to Sage... I sent mine directly to them, once received I got an email confirmation from Sage. As mentioned, 8wks is average, but it can be much longer, it all depends on the time of year and how backed up they are... You basically go into a Q. Last year my 4wt Sage rod took around 3 months because it was the middle of the season, and they said they were really backed up... The only reason I like sending it direct is because then I'm talking to Sage with my warrenty repair confirmation email, and they could give me an a accurate eta.
Sure the shop is no different, just that they are one's shipping it for you. The last time it happened, I decided to get a TFO for a backup rod, so I'm not left with out that weight of rod during the season. Still good quality, and if it also breaks its days, not weeks.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM

I have experienced 6 to 8 weeks for the Sage and Redington warranty repairs
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM

...You're wait is too long. I had mine back within 4, i did mail direct to them though....not through the retailer. Call 'em and find out WTF
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Great service

Sage/Redington provides top notch professional warranty service every time. The usual wait is three weeks but they are extremely backlogged right now. The quickest service is to purolator or fed ex (do not use UPS) your entire rod to the Washington state warranty office on your own. Do not go through your retailer as this will increase your wait time by a couple of weeks. There is a warranty form available online that needs to be filled out and sent with the rod.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/skin/summ...RepairForm.pdf

Hope this helps!

Good luck.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM

I am always amazed at how many people break their flyrods. I broke one when I was 10-11 years old, and had to buy my next one with my own money. Had a G.Loomis broken by AirCanada, and a friend broke one that I loaned him last year.

I know all my rods have Sage's no fault warranty, but I just can't firce myself to be careless with a $500-$800 rod.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Good luck with that! WSS Does NOT do warrantee returns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I may go through WSS though will see which is quickest
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Mine came back in two weeks! I sent it in express post.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Sage fli

when i broke mine, i brought mine into fishtales on april 29, 2013.

this morning they called me and told me that my rod is ready for pickup.

Costs only 55 bucks too!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM

I have returned dozens of rods over the years without any problems. All rods (including broken pieces) were sent directly to sage - the warranty repairs used to be free until a few years ago, and as noted above is now $50.00 USD.

I have always followed up with sage directly for a timeline on the return - and have always been pleased with the repair/service. One rod was returned in less than 2 weeks.

Regards,
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Well thanks for the response everybody. I guess Ill cross my fingers and watch the buy and sell for a replacement.

Tight lines
Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I am always amazed at how many people break their flyrods. I broke one when I was 10-11 years old, and had to buy my next one with my own money. Had a G.Loomis broken by AirCanada, and a friend broke one that I loaned him last year.

I know all my rods have Sage's no fault warranty, but I just can't firce myself to be careless with a $500-$800 rod.
Bingo!!

I've broken 2 flyrods in my life both from careless stupidity but I've sent 4 rods back to Sage for guide replacement after I wore them out. Turn around time..2 weeks to a month.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint guy View Post
I have a sage fli with a broken tip. It went back for warranty through the shop I purchased the rod 6 weeks monday. Has anybody dealt with a warranty through sage? What was the time line? The store only tells me they will call when its ready, but When? Supposed to go to BC soon for vacation, wouldnt be much fun without a fly rod. Any info appreciated, need to decide if I have to buy another rod.
I have always wondered the best way to handle warranty returns. The warranty is through the manufacturer and not the dealer and wonder why return it to the dealer to send back?

The only repair I have had to send off was a Loomis IMX which I was given due to a broken tip section. I sent the broken portion only, as directed and had the replacement tip in less than 2 weeks from Ontario (when I was living in Newfoundland).

I once hand delivered an LL Bean rod belonging to my son, to the LL Bean store when travelling in Maine. I called back to the store the next day (as the rod warranty person was not available when I dropped it off) and was handed a brand new rod of a different model and slightly high value. The warranty person said that the rod I dropped off was made for them by a manufacturer that they no longer dealt with, so they had to offer a different model.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I can be careless without even trying.

I used to run a few Sage rods because one was always in for repair. Turn around varied from a 2-6 months. Turned out the problem was a design flaw.

I use Scott blanks now. Never had a problem being careless with a Scotty.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Can't say I was careless, either way it feels like years since I dropped the rod off. 8 weeks today. The damn thing broke like a piece of glass, while fighting a 12 maybe 14" trout.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Just ph into Sage and they told me to cut the female part of the top and sent in with 50$ US funds to the plant in Bainbridge Island in Was/USA .. just sent express but forgot money order ,,will ph and prepay by credit card Tomorrow

good thing I have 4 other older rods

the count down starts on Friday July 19 2013

will post back when the send me back top piece of a 2 piece

David
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM

So I have my rod back, it was only 7 weeks not 8. My mistake I was just itching for it and seemed longer. Called sage with the invoice # provided by fishing hole (who took the time to phone for me on the spot, thanks guys) and they tracked the order. Turns out it was being delivered that day.

The work was great and service top notch.

I have noticed the rod is or feels like a much slower action. Different blank I guess.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
So I have my rod back, it was only 7 weeks not 8. My mistake I was just itching for it and seemed longer. Called sage with the invoice # provided by fishing hole (who took the time to phone for me on the spot, thanks guys) and they tracked the order. Turns out it was being delivered that day.

The work was great and service top notch.

I have noticed the rod is or feels like a much slower action. Different blank I guess.
Considering how Sage handle warranties that is a respectable turn around time. However I would have huge concerns over Sage's quality control and service if the rod came back noticeably different than the original. If they can't repair / replace the rod to its original state,,,, as might be the case in a discontinued model,,, they should be providing a comparable replacement, and usually it's an upgrade.

But then again, that is not to say a slower action rod would be lesser quality,,,, did they replace the whole rod with a new rod of the original series, or a different series,,, or did they replace the broken section of your old rod?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM

They replaced the tip of a two piece. Two things I noticed bedore I even cast it. The very tip has a slight upturn to it, away from rhe guides. I have noticed this in other rods, its not like a bannana or nothing. Aswell the action, seems slower, rod bends more towards the handle, and doesnt stop when whipped and stopped dead ( no line)as fast as before. Casting loading is noticeably slower. Its a whole new rod seems like.

Im no pro fisherman so maybe its me, but my guns and fishin gear are like my pekker, A guy notices when somethings different.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Im no pro fisherman so maybe its me, but my guns and fishin gear are like my pekker, A guy notices when somethings different.
Ain't that the truth!!!! LOL

The curve to the rod tip is the spine. All rods typically have a slight bend to them. Rod builders debate about mounting the guides either on top or the bottom of the curve,,, but the guides should never be on the side of the curve for a properly spined rod. So that part is "normal on your rod".

Do you like the repaired rod as much or better than the old one? If so, I guess you have no worries. But if it does bother you, I would cast a new Fli side by side with your rod to see if there is a noticeable difference, and if you still have concerns, contact Sage.

I believe the Fli is built overseas so the QC may be out of their hands on that series,,, but Sage is a reputable company, generally they try their best to make the customer happy.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Agree,

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 PM

It's not just carelessness,,,,, There ain't a fly rod made that can't be broke with an errant cast with a weighted clouser.

The more you fish, the more you travel, the more likely stuff happens.

Sage et all use the lifetime no fault warrenties to justify selling a rod for $500- 800.

Now would the rods be cheaper to buy if there wasn't lifetime warranties? That's a whole 'nother argument,,,, but, then again,,,, Loomis with it's limited warranty still charges full fare for their rods!!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM

I still love my rod, so no complaints. Its nothing wrong, just different. A bit of fishin and Ill have it casting like a dream again. Perhaps this is the way the rod should be, seeing as the other broke for no apparent reason.

Thanks for the feedback pike.