Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 PM

Default Elk River BC

So it looks like I might have some time off in the near future to hit the Elk for some fishing. I'm really excited since I've been itching to head that way for over a year now and timing hasn't worked that well. For those that fish the Fernie area, can you throw a tip or two to a fellow, either on what stretches to fish or some good tributaries to wade while I'm there. I'll most likely be on my own while my better half is out with the gals, so I'd like to avoid anything too deep in bear country.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM

We have tried on our way back from a Montana trip. South of Fernie off the highway and just north of the tunnel there is a braided channel section on the Elk. We didn't catch anything and the water looked a bit discoloured at the time (mid July) but we did see a few rises and there are a lot of nice seams. Other then that I'm not familiar with it.

I would recommend getting a guide for at least a day. They can probably take you to walk and wade tributaries too. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM

The later in the season the better. They are Cutties so they are easy to catch and the ELK is easy to read so I would pass on a guide. Two fly shops in Fernie to help you out and they will . If you are on the river and they are not rising and you are a dry man pull out the stimulators. If you nymph anything that worked anywhere else will do well here too, but they are Cutties so stay dry!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 PM

Heading to sparwood this coming long weekend. anyone have any reports from michele creek or the elk river? also going to hit up the crow snd crow' lake. going to see if ican gwt a laker on my fly rod.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Step 1 Pack an 8wt and bring the biggest streamers you can find...Step 2 Avoid the Elk and fish the Wigwam...Step 3 Come back to this thread and thank me...You are welcome in advance!!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 PM

I've been fly-fishing the Elk River since 1983 as it's a 5 minute walk from my parent's home outside of Sparwood. I fished it last Friday and had a remarkable day on dry flies. Hopper patterns and big stimulators netted me 23 Cutties in 4 hours of fishing. The largest taped at a tad over 17" and was caught on an olive body stimulator during mid-day. There were a ton of risers and water quality was excellent.

The Michel Creek is extremely low and fishing was slow for me the week before.

The floodwaters of June really did a number on the Elk and many of my favorite holes are gone, sidechannels are gone, water completely diverted and lots of timber piled on the shore.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM

right at the bottom of the ski resorts used to fish really nice, small black ants, small stimulators. try big streamers for large bullies. also wigwam is awesome fishing and not bad to access. deffinetly worth the hike if you want some monsters
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the pointers folks. I'll definitely be stopping by the fly shops in Fernie for a BS session with the staff and to pick up some flies the locals are using. I'm also hoping to explore the Wigwam as well, (so Moefoe the heavier wt. rod will be in the pack). What I know of is limited since most of my findings include you tube and google earth. I am curious to the forestry road back of Elko as far as the condition of the road goes. Is it a decent gravel road or mainly a rougher logging road?...and is it possible to fish alone without having issues with the local bears?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM

The last thing i would worry about is bears. Make sure your tires are aired up and you have the right amount of coolant and oil in the engine. Those are things that you should be concerned with. The Bear thing is lots of BS. If you see someone packing a shottie fishing they will not be locals.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Oddly enough, the Wigwam is the only place I've ever been bluff-charged by a bear, but that was in 1989 and I was 13 years old and fishing by myself. Have fished the area almost every year since to present day and have never seen another bear. I've never felt the need to bring a gun with me in this area. It's not as secluded as it was in the 80's anymore . You'll definitely run into people on the river. I've run into more Albertans and Yanks than locals lately.

Road is your typical dirt road with a multitude of potholes but no big deal really.

I've latched onto some big Bulltrout with a 6- weight and have never really felt that I needed an 8-weight though. Personal preference I guess.

PM me if you require anymore info on the area.

Good luck with the fishing trip!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Yeah the roads ain't bad and the same goes for the bears, you sometimes see them driving in but I've never seen one down by the river this time of year! There are 15lbs Bulls in the Wig, the place where I fish is a 3k hike in then about 200 yards downhill to the river, sucks coming back! Many pools, lots of fish and tons of log jams, a 6wt will work but believe me bro you need an 8wt to keep them out of that stuff!!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
Thanks for all the pointers folks. I'll definitely be stopping by the fly shops in Fernie for a BS session with the staff and to pick up some flies the locals are using. I'm also hoping to explore the Wigwam as well, (so Moefoe the heavier wt. rod will be in the pack). What I know of is limited since most of my findings include you tube and google earth. I am curious to the forestry road back of Elko as far as the condition of the road goes. Is it a decent gravel road or mainly a rougher logging road?...and is it possible to fish alone without having issues with the local bears?
The road you access through Elko runs parallel to the elk river for several miles. I've hauled horses on it and it's ok. watch for logging trucks. One of the most beautiful places I've been. Hunted there for 30 years with horses. Never did much fishing.

A dog is nice to have along. a few cougars and bears in the area, but we never had any problems. Others have been attacked by Grizzlies so don't sweat them, but don't get too complacent and ignore the possibility of an encounter.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info fellows. No shotgun for this guy...I usually just pack my lunch and bear spray, and if there's usually other guys out there, than I'm sure wildlife won't be an issue.
Now if I can land a 15lb bull, well there won't be a bear for miles with the noise I'll be making.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM

I fished the Elk last weekend and caught 6 Saturday and 10 Sunday. This is my first year fly fishing so I was pretty happy with that. All nice sized cutties and 2 whitefish. The 10 on Sunday were all using elk hair caddis. I had fished the Elk a few times before and found it pays to walk a bit from the easy to access areas (probably common sense).

I may also hit the wigwam this weekend, but am not really sure where you access it from. Do you just go south from Elko on the forestry service road?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 AM

There are lots of access to the Wigwam but like you said the tougher the hike in the better the fishing...I picked up a really good map in the fly shop in Fernie a few years back, high quality, laminated and not cheap but worth every penny!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 AM

I will be out there around sept 6
love the fall fishing out there and is turning out to a yearly trip
this year I will have the fishing raft with me so it should make the trip better
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Heading south

I'm heading down to fernie this weekend to do some fishing.
I fished across from the resort entrance last year with some decent luck, but with the floods I'm not sure if the holes i was fishing will still exist.
Any info would be great.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM

There are a few decent spots for access just west of the resort entrance towards Elko. I think anything within Fernie gets a fair bit of pressure. This is my first year fly fishing so I don't have anything to compare to, but for me the Elk has been fishing quite good the past few weeks. I will be out there again Saturday.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Default okokok

thanks very much for the heads up on access points.
you been fishing cutties on the dry or streaming for bulls?
Looking forward to a nice big hatch on saturday evening!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Just cutties on dries. Had the best luck with caddis and BWO flies.

I did catch my first bull there last weekend when I decided to nymph a deep pool that I know had some fish in it that weren't rising. It was only about 8" so not too impressive but it was a bull.