Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Sako brass Q?

Who has experience reloading with Sako brass?
Is it worth the extra $$ or just a buncha marketing hype?
I’m new to reloading and honestly wouldn’t know good brass from bad nor what makes Brand X brass great vs. Brand Y brass crap from a reloading point of view,but Sako’s advertising hype claims to be superior metallurgy over the worlds leading top brands(I’m assuming they are referring to Lapua etc.,but again,I haven’t reloaded enough to know what’s the big deal about Lapua neither,haha)
Also new to the .300WSM cartridge/new to me rifle.I plan to reload for it,just wondering if it’s worth $5/round+ to buy a few boxes of Sako factory ammo mainly to recover the brass,but it’s more than double the cost of cheap .300WSM factory offerings(Super-X/American WT etc) and even substantially more then other “premium” cartridges @$55/10 rounds compared to $60-$80 bucks for 20 rounds of Superformance/Nosler Trophy Grade etc.
I guess my real question is what makes good brass good and crappy brass crap.....and does Sako fill the bill?
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM

All I use is Winchester brass in my 270 wsm and have never had an issue, I’m on 6 reloadings and the brass appears to still be in good shape
Old 11-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Pretty sure Norma makes the brass for Sako ammunition. I use Norma brass in my 338-06AI. Their brass seems to be high quality.

My other reloads (300 WM/300WSM/270WSM/243/22-250) I use Winchester brass or the nickel plated shells I reload from factory Winchester Supreme ammo I had shot previously. No issues.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 PM

To the "new" reloader I doubt you will notice a big difference in normal "big game rifles". But if you continue on in the pursuit of accuracy, you will notice a difference. Sako brass is VERY good stuff.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.