Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Default spring browns

Hey, besides streamers, if you guys are going to troll some hardware (raps, spoons, etc.) what are your favourites? I am heading down to fish some monster browns in a private lake tonight and I do not normally fish for browns. Thanks
Matt

I will post some pics when I get back so everyone can tell me how poorly I have handled the fish haha
Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreeum View Post

i will post some pics when i get back so everyone can tell me how poorly i have handled the fish haha
haha, zing

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Can't wait for those pics..lol
Old 05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Hey, besides streamers, if you guys are going to troll some hardware (raps, spoons, etc.) what are your favourites? I am heading down to fish some monster browns in a private lake tonight and I do not normally fish for browns. Thanks
Matt

I will post some pics when I get back so everyone can tell me how poorly I have handled the fish haha
We don't have to wait till you get back I can start now. Starting with your avatar you should support the belly more when it's that big....As far as the fish your holding it ok...............Hope you have a good day out there.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM

haha i would have a better day if someone would give me some advice on what to buy...and that pike was slabbed out and canned..I must have thrown away half of it 2 days ago...
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
haha i would have a better day if someone would give me some advice on what to buy...and that pike was slabbed out and canned..I must have thrown away half of it 2 days ago...
Can't help you there sorry never fish for trout if I catch one it"s by accident.
Good luck anyway
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Try white twister tails and brown trout pattern rapalas, or brown trout colored cotton cordells
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM

I picked up a bunch of rapalas, brown trout and perch pattern-I guess the browns feed on perch in the lake so I will give it a go. Have you guys ever tried trolling a rapala behind a willow leaf? The pike comment was a joke by the way...incase that has prompted you to not help me out here haha
Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM

well in a private lake, they usually bite anything, so bring out the rapala.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 PM

ty your best bet is most likely gonna be the raps. hopefully you grabbed some bigger ones F11 or CD11. if you know they feed on perch obviously don't hesitate on that pattern or firetiger. the new brook trout looks to be deadly too, but i've yet to fish it. flatfish would be another option trolled. F7 or larger, i like the frog. i wouldn't mess around pulling the rest of the extra jewelry though, shouldn't need it. should be a fun time.

Dace
Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Your raps will work well.

Krocodile, Williams and Kamlooper spoons.

4" Lyman plugs and Apex hockey sticks.

You can try a willowleaf with a wedding band behind it with maggots or worms or you can also troll spinners such a Mepps behind a gang troll with or without bait.

I'd troll the raps and plugs on their own vs. behind a willowleaf. A gang troll is more effective when you have bait behind it. But if you have a small dodger or flasher you can troll a rap, plug, spoon or even hair behind it but make sure you have at least 5 feet of leader behind it to get proper action on the lure.

If the browns are plentiful and the lake is shallow meaning you won't be trolling 50+ feet deep with a downrigger you shouldn't need an attractor like a flasher or willowleaf.

These techniques will get all other species of trout too if they happen to be in the lake.

Good luck. Post pics.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM

thanks buddy, I picked did pick up some larger ones including a jointed brook trout. I have a few fire tigers from rainbow fishing I will make sure to bring those along. The lake isn't a private lake - it is stocked by the province...but land access is all private so that is the issue. What do you guys think about fishing at night? We are gonna be hamming the streams during the day..the big rainbows and browns should be caught up below the control structures right now so I think we are going to be spending most of the day fishing there. If you think fishing after dark will be productive, should I stay shallow? Anything else I need to know about fishing for them at night? Thanks a bunch, if you guys are ever in sask and need any info or want to meet up, let me know.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Well the geeks are your best bet for info on fishing at night. Dusk is always good. I think you have experience catching rainbows and browns should be no different.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
thanks buddy, I picked did pick up some larger ones including a jointed brook trout. I have a few fire tigers from rainbow fishing I will make sure to bring those along. The lake isn't a private lake - it is stocked by the province...but land access is all private so that is the issue. What do you guys think about fishing at night? We are gonna be hamming the streams during the day..the big rainbows and browns should be caught up below the control structures right now so I think we are going to be spending most of the day fishing there. If you think fishing after dark will be productive, should I stay shallow? Anything else I need to know about fishing for them at night? Thanks a bunch, if you guys are ever in sask and need any info or want to meet up, let me know.
never fished browns in the pitch darkness. rainbows on stocked lakes and ponds lots. even when fly fishing, in the evening at dark i'll switch over to a spinning gear and work minnow imitations on the shallow shorelines. i've seen rainbows chasing bait fish down so hard that the shiners come right out of the water. mini salmon, cool to see. the rebel floating ghost is another one to try, it's been killer. both colors. as tackle said bigger browns/rainbows same tactics. aggressive.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Well the geeks are your best bet for info on fishing at night. Dusk is always good. I think you have experience catching rainbows and browns should be no different.
haha we don't do much for brown trout fishing and those rainbows are a different breed and you wouldn't even believe how we catch most of them...if normal tactics worked for them - everyone would have a 40 pounder on their wall...
Thanks again guys - like I said I will post pics when I get back
Matt
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
haha we don't do much for brown trout fishing and those rainbows are a different breed and you wouldn't even believe how we catch most of them...if normal tactics worked for them - everyone would have a 40 pounder on their wall...
Thanks again guys - like I said I will post pics when I get back
Matt

not normal tactics? you talking like lucky elephant pink candy popcorn? nice.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
No just a big ball of bubble gum. hahaha.
Tyree is our fishing buddy, my bro fishes with him all the time, and yeah our tactics for those big slob bows will not help him out for those browns. If you think of how big a 50lb rainbows mouth is then see what size bait will fit in it. a 10lb brown i dont think will like the size of hooks we throw at them. hahaha. might knock some browns out when the hook comes by them. lol. .
Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
No just a big ball of bubble gum. hahaha.
Tyree is our fishing buddy, my bro fishes with him all the time, and yeah our tactics for those big slob bows will not help him out for those browns. If you think of how big a 50lb rainbows mouth is then see what size bait will fit in it. a 10lb brown i dont think will like the size of hooks we throw at them. hahaha. might knock some browns out when the hook comes by them. lol. .
I bet a 10 pound brown would work deadly as bait for the big slobs haha, Sorry you can't make it this weekend Sean, Libby Dam soon enough!!

Thanks again guys, I am heading out, I will be trying what you guys said - if I end up skunked I will get over it, I am used to Alberta fisherman lying to me haha!!! Have a great weekend!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
great, the secret is out....Sean your record is in Jeopardy!!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
great, the secret is out....Sean your record is in Jeopardy!!!!!
sorry guys, that wasn't my intention. i thought everyone used pp. it's been my go to bobber fished bait for years.................keeps the worm from wigglin off!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM

browns in lakes are a tricky breed. my "private" brown trout lake also contains lake locusts,oopps, i mean perch, and rapals dont work there for browns at all, they do surprisingly good on the coarse fish though. i think i can help you avoid falling into a couple of time wasting traps thhat i fell into when i started night fishing.

pm sent. i hope its n not too late

good luck
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutpirate View Post
browns in lakes are a tricky breed. my "private" brown trout lake also contains lake locusts,oopps, i mean perch, and rapals dont work there for browns at all, they do surprisingly good on the coarse fish though. i think i can help you avoid falling into a couple of time wasting traps thhat i fell into when i started night fishing.

pm sent. i hope its n not too late

good luck
browns arnt so spooky at night
Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Hey guys, thanks again for the PM's and help on the board...unfortunately the night we got down there, the temp dropped to -12 and skim iced 90% of the lake and we couldn't even fish it. The other lake in the area had 4 inches of rot ice still so we were forced to drive an hour to a lake with rainbows that was open. We did ok, they were making a spawning attempt and were not to interest in feeding though. Saw some nice 15 pounders on the beds, managed a few between 4 and 6 pounds and that was it. We are gonna give it a try in a couple weeks and I will report back after we hit the browns. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
browns arnt so spooky at night
Thats crazy talk!!!! Pull your fly out of the zone at the wrong time, and you will put him down just the same as you would during prime time.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Thats crazy talk!!!! Pull your fly out of the zone at the wrong time, and you will put him down just the same as you would during prime time.
have you gave night fishing a try at the bow or anywhere else where brown trout roam?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Unlike some elite fishermen I wouldn't give my opinion unless I knew what I was talking about. How many times have you drifted the red deer or the bow and pulled the boat out at 4 am or put the boat in at 3 am?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Unlike some elite fishermen I wouldn't give my opinion unless I knew what I was talking about. How many times have you drifted the red deer or the bow and pulled the boat out at 4 am or put the boat in at 3 am?
zero but i have fished them both around 12-2am and caught lots of browns.
i fished the whole city sections on both using cd-7 silver.
and when its dark i noticed there all only a few feet rom shore at the most. most times right beside it
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 AM

I see, so in your vast experience in fishing where the brown trout roam, (in the city waters) they aren't spooky at night. Good to know I will concentrate my efforts there from now on. Might as well just sell the boats and start walking too. Wish you would have told me this 20 years ago, would have saved me some big coin....
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 PM

yeah the best places were i caught the browns were beside bridge pilings, on shoreline, inlets to coverts, log jams beside parkland mall aswell.
i dont got a real boat so i do my best fishing form shore.
the browns can be realy finicky during the mid day so i give it a break and fish for other things in the river. but id say about 60% of the browns are on the undercut banks on the shoreline. and will be that was even more as we reach june, the stone fly hatch.
the best fishing is in the middle of 2 bridges
good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM

I didnt know Obed Lake was a "private" lake.