Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Default wabamun ice fishing

Hey guys, hope everyone had better luck than me this weekend! was at wabamun for the morning fish from about 8-12pm and not a sniff. Saw one guy put one on the ice and that was it. was out about 2-3x the length of the peir off to the right, Wondering if im in the right area as this was my first time ever ice fishing wabamun. Any suggestionss on some deecent places to fish on the lake wouldd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Wab

Where were you parked?Using herring and tipups?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM

Was out about 2-3 times the length of the peir and just off to the right. was just jiggin some smelts and some rattles. tip up's and herring the way to do it?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM

By the point at Fallis has been good to me
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM

sry completely off topic from you....
but we were fishin richs point at wab, there was a good crew of people fishin tipups, looked like they were having a blast!
so me and my friends distant ourselves from them, then later in the day. 3 full size trucks fly out on the ice right in the middle of us so we were so so close....
bunch of wankers.
forced us to move. just after my buddies girl just hookd a 10lb'r
it was worth it to sit and watch them have problems with there auger, we fired our eskimo z71 and let it idle just to be wankers back!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Deadsticking bait is the way to go at Wabuman. They dont seem to like if you jig it. I use large or jumbo smelts on a tipup with quick-strike rig or just a 2/0 treble in place of the quickstrike. I find the quickstrike hooks more than the treble tho.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM

yea we had a couple people do the same thing to my dad and I, if i wasn't with my pops i would have expressed my anger about it haha. doesn't make any sense to me why anyone would pull up about 30ft from you and start drilling while your jiggin away.. Wankers at their finest... but thanks for all the action and tips guys much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM

I've fished the lake a few times over the last couple weeks and it's been slow. Yesterday I was out at wabamun at the marina aswell and managed 2 around 8lbs and 1 tiny guy (was there from 9-1:30)..Pretty much anywhere in that area in front of the marina is good and youll catch fish. It's pretty much one big flat weedy area. I've caught pike from 4 ft of water there out to 12 feet of water. If you go a bit more west of the peir your on a sandy bottom.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 AM

We were down south west side was slow but we got a couple of nice fish Saw what we are all hunting but she just would not get on to the top side of the ice It just reinforces my mad addiction

Red Neck Out

Last edited by Red Neck; 01-07-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM

10.7lbs 36 X 17
Red Neck Out

Last edited by Red Neck; 01-07-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: PHOTO ISSUE
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM

This has been the worst year i've had fishing Wabamun since i've been alive. It's been so slow. On a good day a crew of 4 people would get anywhere from 40-85 flags go off catching anywhere from 10-30 fish. Maybe my old faithfull spot is done... But i talk to alot of people who fish this lake and i haven't heard many good reports.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Banned

with all the snow this year i's difficult to drive to a lot of areas but we have been having luck by fallis using minnows. also you can get shelter from any wind by moving around point allison
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM

A bit slower but still getting some good sized one. At least this lake is far from DEAD. So many crappy lakes out there. Pretty hard to be Wab for consistancy...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM

I was out two weeks ago at wab ,even meet Red Neck ( nice guy).
Anyways we were watching in our camera the pike ,and they would just swim past our bait all day . Then one of the minnows fell off the hook and layed on the sand and a pike came and picked it up.
So we did that with our baited hooks ,layed it on the bottom .
Then the fishing picked up.
I beleive we landed around 10 pike
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the props JR. We also went to non convevtional method of slight jigging with the bait laying on the bottom, with our fance new camara I can comfirn that is how we caught all our fish.Jigging will bring them in but they will not bite. Incudining Big Mama but unfortunatly she is just a good fish story as we did not get her onto the top side ig the ice
Just a note to all ; PULL YOUR CAMARA UP when battleling a fish of mertit

Red Neck Out
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Neck View Post
Thanks for the props JR. We also went to non convevtional method of slight jigging with the bait laying on the bottom, with our fance new camara I can comfirn that is how we caught all our fish.Jigging will bring them in but they will not bite. Incudining Big Mama but unfortunatly she is just a good fish story as we did not get her onto the top side ig the ice
Just a note to all ; PULL YOUR CAMARA UP when battleling a fish of mertit

Red Neck Out
You are definately correct on the jigging to attract, but don't bite. i found when they come in just slowly drop the bait to the bottom and leave it. THey will either get a bit closer for a sniff, and maybe take a bite, or turn and swim away. If they turn give it another jerk and let it settle, which may make the fish regain interest, to much action is not good. Hopefully you get the hellicpoter landing action just in front of the bait where they kick up a bunch of silt and lay at the bottom a foot or so from your bait. If they do this let the bait slowly down to teh bottom, wait a moment, then give it a quick jerk.....that has always resulted in a huge strike and some serious fun. And ya....a hooked pike can make a mess of other lines and camers in the area....very quickly.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Try some walleye scent and I also find if your not seeing many drill a few holes close by idk but for some reason it seems to attract them I once had two jacks and a whitefish come all at once when I did that and before I got a biter a massive pike hammered one of the pike then all we could do is watch while this beast sat there and swallowed it over about a five min Span