Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Upper Ghost River Closed

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...Jun04-2018.pdf
Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM

I've about had it up to my ears with closures from bears on public land!. It's the forest people.. Deal with it.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM

The link didn’t work for me. Is it referencing the bear-human conflict (http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...Jun04-2018.pdf) or closure to OHV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 PM

it's Bear Country, for Pete's sakes. Sounds like this may refer to the hiker that got off lucky, near Minnewanka last week. Bear managed to chew the top of his bear spray.

Grizz
Old 06-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
The link didn’t work for me. Is it referencing the bear-human conflict (http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...Jun04-2018.pdf) or closure to OHV?

Human Bear conflict. Pretty understandable if that's the case.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

Sorry was talking about the area being closed because of a bear conflict. This seems to be the same area that some people were attacked near the ghost river a couple of years ago. the same thing a sow with cubs. Could be this is now becoming an area we have to be extra careful in. I know we should be careful everywhere.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

I haven't heard what led to this closure, but it is the same general area that was closed in July 2016 after the grizzly attacked the young couple on the bank of the Ghost River. This closure effectively closes the entire river trail system to motorized vehicles as it includes the trail access point to the river valley trails at Marker 23.
Wonder how long this closure will last?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Human Bear conflict. Pretty understandable if that's the case.
I think it's partly understandable. What I don't understand is the way people act in bear country. They don't carry spray or bangers, they leave food lying around, they are oblivious to their surroundings, they have no idea how to respond in the event of an attack. It's ridiculous. Human-bear conflicts could be greatly reduced if we didn't let the uneducated and unprepared into the woods.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I think it's partly understandable. What I don't understand is the way people act in bear country. They don't carry spray or bangers, they leave food lying around, they are oblivious to their surroundings, they have no idea how to respond in the event of an attack. It's ridiculous. Human-bear conflicts could be greatly reduced if we didn't let the uneducated and unprepared into the woods.

I'd bet the area was closed more for the bears than the humans.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Hey NPD. News flash. No matter how you try to get people to give up their OHV's before you get tossed, it won't work.

Enjoy your power while you have it. Can hardly wait till next spring. Only about another 300 sleeps.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
x2, it amazes me of how many people I meet on the trail that are scared of my leashed huskies. Domestic dogs should be the least of their worries, most of em don't carry spray either
Old 06-11-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I haven't heard what led to this closure, but it is the same general area that was closed in July 2016 after the grizzly attacked the young couple on the bank of the Ghost River. This closure effectively closes the entire river trail system to motorized vehicles as it includes the trail access point to the river valley trails at Marker 23.
Wonder how long this closure will last?
There's really no authorized trails affected. There was a map posted on FB. Devil's Gap where the river enters is the east end of it, and includes all of Orient Peak on the west side of the valley.

Also agree that it's a crap move. Grizz are being used as a tool...

Another thread for another day though.

Tree
Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
There's really no authorized trails affected. There was a map posted on FB. Devil's Gap where the river enters is the east end of it, and includes all of Orient Peak on the west side of the valley.

Tree
You might want to check the AEP .pdf map that is linked in posts #1 & #3. It shows the closure extends to the rivers edge from well upstream of Marker 33, to downstream of Marker 25. It includes the TransAlta Road from Marker 23 at the bottom of the hill; it effectively closes the trail system.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-11-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Bear

My son is getting short 12 gauge for fathers day to protect his family in foothills from aggressive bears. What are the restrictions for carry in Provincial parks etc.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My son is getting short 12 gauge for fathers day to protect his family in foothills from aggressive bears. What are the restrictions for carry in Provincial parks etc.
The signs at the entrance to the provincial parks and provincial recreation areas say, "Firearms must be unloaded and cased." Some parks and rec areas allow hunting (during the season) with a special permit.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Easy stuff to find...

“Firearms & Hunting
Hunting and carrying or discharging firearms are not permitted in most provincial parks and recreation areas.
Hunting is permitted in wildland parks and in some provincial parks and recreation areas. Check our hunting section for details about where and under what conditions hunting is allowed.”

https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertap...s/regulations/
Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Tree
Agree!

I've come out from bowhunting just west of calgary on the transcanada just west of 22 in a couple inches of fresh snow that fell while hunting to fresh grizzly track and scat on my trail in the dark with only a bow and a headlamp and a pretty good ridge to get up and over to where my truck was. That wasn't a fun end to a hunt but luckly no issue.

And people aren't worried about running into them in the 400 zones? There's one in every drainage at minimum and it should be educated properly. Good lord.

I do believe the govt. should be held responsible for the serious lack of information about the real numbers of grizzly bears and how wide ranging they are really roaming in this province. I bet there's a dozen grizz within a mile or two of hwy 22 in this province right now. Granted that's a long run of road but i won't be far off my guess. A lot further east than people think. When you've got the 400 zones full up they move east through the foothills...that's where we are at with this. Guys getting chewed up all the time now. Closures up the whazoo now. Wonder when the govt. will start to cover it's arse and educate general public properly? I know if i found out the truth after a family member of mine was mauled i'd be wanting some answers!

As it is i tell everyone i come into contact with that if they play west of 22 they better have spray on them at all times. And i've run into so many hikers, younger people that think it's nothing to go hiking without it, never give it thought etc. Scares me.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
The signs at the entrance to the provincial parks and provincial recreation areas say, "Firearms must be unloaded and cased." Some parks and rec areas allow hunting (during the season) with a special permit.
So theoretically a gun sock with a side saddle for the shells
Old 06-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Agree!

I've come out from bowhunting just west of calgary on the transcanada just west of 22 in a couple inches of fresh snow that fell while hunting to fresh grizzly track and scat on my trail in the dark with only a bow and a headlamp and a pretty good ridge to get up and over to where my truck was. That wasn't a fun end to a hunt but luckly no issue.

And people aren't worried about running into them in the 400 zones? There's one in every drainage at minimum and it should be educated properly. Good lord.

I do believe the govt. should be held responsible for the serious lack of information about the real numbers of grizzly bears and how wide ranging they are really roaming in this province. I bet there's a dozen grizz within a mile or two of hwy 22 in this province right now. Granted that's a long run of road but i won't be far off my guess. A lot further east than people think. When you've got the 400 zones full up they move east through the foothills...that's where we are at with this. Guys getting chewed up all the time now. Closures up the whazoo now. Wonder when the govt. will start to cover it's arse and educate general public properly? I know if i found out the truth after a family member of mine was mauled i'd be wanting some answers!

As it is i tell everyone i come into contact with that if they play west of 22 they better have spray on them at all times. And i've run into so many hikers, younger people that think it's nothing to go hiking without it, never give it thought etc. Scares me.
Don't have to go far, there's a sow and cub in the Bergen area, according to a local source.

Grizz
Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Then if short gun cased in back-pack along with shells seems to meet regulations in parks. I would guess that a ticket for stopping a charging grizz would seem like a small matter compared to life threat to my grand children.