Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Jousard slave lake

A friend of mine booked a couple shacks for us at jousard..this weekend,was wondering how the fishin was there an what's a guys catch mostly?!fished slave alot but always east or went end of the lake an know some great spots for perch an eyes bit just wondering feedback on this area?!!an ice conditions?!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Not sure about Jusard but if its anything like Canyon make sure your out early and again for the end of the day. The bite can be pretty slow in the middle of the day sometimes.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM

We've always had the best luck when we stay over night and fish between 7-11 pm
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Hey,

I was out there two weeks ago. We had our best luck with jigs and minnows just after dark. It would stay steady until 10pm. If your renting from roadrunner ask Daryl advice as he knows the lake quite well.

Good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Default slave

im actually not sure who he rented it from i think their newer to the whole shack thing he keeps saying some lady an the ol boy haha..anyhow is there any perch in this area a guy doesnt have to drill 1000 holes to find??i have a great summer spot north of the cutbanks in a small bay but not sure i wanna drive across the lake with the conditions im hearing about up north... worth settin up the tip ups for pike or am i just gona be dealing with hammer handles all day?any info would be much appretiated
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
im actually not sure who he rented it from i think their newer to the whole shack thing he keeps saying some lady an the ol boy haha..anyhow is there any perch in this area a guy doesnt have to drill 1000 holes to find??i have a great summer spot north of the cutbanks in a small bay but not sure i wanna drive across the lake with the conditions im hearing about up north... worth settin up the tip ups for pike or am i just gona be dealing with hammer handles all day?any info would be much appretiated
Can you find a phone number for the shack rentals for a feller.
Wound be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM

The number for Roadrunner Cabins is 780-776-2203. Pat and Daryl will rent you shacks. I think that they're the only ones that still rent shacks in Joussard. They also have nice little cabins that they do a great job with.

We stayed there in December and are going back in March. Great People.

Where the permanent shacks are is in around 20ft of water where the pickerel are. Not sure where the perch are. If you want big Jacks you need to move a bit closer to shore in about 8ft of water. There's usually a shack or two in between the town of shacks (where pickerel are) and Joussard. They're targeting big pike.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Great fun!

Well back from our overnight!it was with larsons shacks!got on the ice for 8:45 sat morn an got rods set up ASAP.got the fire goin an gear unloaded an what not..never had a hit till almost 11.legal pike was the first to hit the ice an a few more as the afternoon went on.one 5 lb burbot an a 58cm eye between are group till dark.fee missed hits too.as it got dark the fishing picked up with a half dozen legal eyes another burbot an more pike right till midnight.woke up at 7 an broke the holes open an got two rods down an in 20 mins had two more legal eyes on the ice.jigged rods had more action than dead man rods for sure..glow head an white tail seemed to be the best.anyhow well worth the $ an will do it again.thanks for the help an info fellas!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM

I am thinking of booking the overnight shacks with Larsen's general store as well. How were they to stay in and how many can they sleep comfortably?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Default shacks

they weren't bad,the roof on ours leaked along the walls an ice built up on the floor in the corners.woodstove worked great(bring an old pot to keep moisture goin in the shack) an ours had wood in it when we got there as well as the wood they gave us at the store when we picked up the key.the benches ya sleep on are a litl short with a 2" thick mattress on em but I slept fine(6' tall).you could either bring two cots or sleep a third guy if yur both on the benches.my friend had a 4 man shack rented beside us an it only had one bench in it an the people had to bring them out some old cots which they slept terribly on.i would bring my own cot when I go back.hope this helps.oh an they had a hatchet an ice ladle in each one but I would bring all my own cause they said the stuff gets taken constantly.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Heading there for an over nighter at my dads shack on Saturday with the fam can't wait night fishing is so much fun there.
We use 4lb test mono works great for those picky eyes.....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Default slave

Lucky you!!love to go back,we did the best after 6 pm seemed like,they would hit in spurts then die off for a while then pick up again.i had 6 lb line an everone else had heavier line...I got the most out of all of us so that makes sence.!well hope you enjoy yur trip!!!1/4 oz glow head with a white tail seemed to be the best but I'm sure you have yur choice lures!good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Slave

1/8 oz sorry
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM

My fave is a plain treble small one with a small minnow
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Im heading up there in a few weeks..have a shack rented...
Did you guys use a camera at all? if so how was the visibility?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Default Shacks

Quote:
they weren't bad,the roof on ours leaked along the walls an ice built up on the floor in the corners.woodstove worked great(bring an old pot to keep moisture goin in the shack) an ours had wood in it when we got there as well as the wood they gave us at the store when we picked up the key.the benches ya sleep on are a litl short with a 2" thick mattress on em but I slept fine(6' tall).you could either bring two cots or sleep a third guy if yur both on the benches.my friend had a 4 man shack rented beside us an it only had one bench in it an the people had to bring them out some old cots which they slept terribly on.i would bring my own cot when I go back.hope this helps.oh an they had a hatchet an ice ladle in each one but I would bring all my own cause they said the stuff gets taken constantly.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I am planning a stag party and renting all the shacks they have. It sounds a like they might be a little rickety but I definitely didn't expect 5 star accommodations. We will be sure to bring some extra mattresses and bedding to make things more comfortable but I doubt anyone will have a hard time passing out at the end of the night... You suggested the pot to keep the humidity level up in the shack? Sounds like you are planning on going back again. Overall was it a good experience? would you recommend them to your friends?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

The car battery was dead so no cam last time but we will have it this go around. As far as visibility usually during the day u can see probably 6-8 feet so basically u can watch one bait but makes a HUGE difference for those lazy mid day walleye
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Propane heat in ours nice steady heat.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Slave

Oh yes I will be back,I think I heard all their shacks are booked for weekends but I'm not 100%..an yes the pot helps for sure,it's so small in there an with the heat those litl stoves pump out it get really dry..ya visibility was good in my buddy's litl fish tv camera but my aqua view is acting up(goddammit!!) so mine was outa commission for the trip..I was jigging my two rods as often as I could an definitely noticed a difference to that of dead rods..hope this helps
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Slave

Ya it was a great experience but like you say your there to fish an hang with buddies so if ya want the 5 star experience this is definitely not it!!but where else can ya fish in sweat pants a t-shirt with your feet up an yur favorite beverage beside ya!!!an your feet are beside the fire!that was my favorite part lol!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic523 View Post
Propane heat in ours nice steady heat.

Hey Elk what did they charge per night for that shanty?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Shacks

Quote:
Ya it was a great experience but like you say your there to fish an hang with buddies so if ya want the 5 star experience this is definitely not it!!but where else can ya fish in sweat pants a t-shirt with your feet up an yur favorite beverage beside ya!!!an your feet are beside the fire!that was my favorite part lol!
Thanks! Sounds like a great time! I'm booked for the second weekend in feb. and looking forward to it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM

That's my dads unit so no cost for me