Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Lac La Biche being netted

This comes from a post already started (Draw result day) and a comment that was posted "Hope there is some walleye left ? LLB got the **** netted out of it. And apparently it was a good year nets full of fish"
I did not want to derail that post so my question is... What was targeted in the nets? A specific spicies or all that gets caught? Do all go to market? Not knowing much at all about commercial netting was just wondering if it is species specific target.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:50 PM

there is no commercial fishing in alberta so i am assuming it is sustance fishermen. In sask the commercial guys will target walleye in the winter with their nets. There is a packing plant in isle la crosse that processes the walleye and you can buy 10lb boxes of deboned fillets.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM

So, if no commercial fishing then just an assumption on my part for sustanance netting would it be a native right then? Do the fish go to market here or are kept for consumption? How much is allowed to be kept if that is the case?
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM

most likely subsistence used for personal consumption.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:56 PM

So how does one get or apply for a personal consumption netting permit? Gotta be way easier than a single line to get your limit don't ya think?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
So how does one get or apply for a personal consumption netting permit? Gotta be way easier than a single line to get your limit don't ya think?
Start tanning
Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 PM

It is what it is you're the wrong race! Don't shoot the messenger!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Banned

Default Sustenance fishing

I went to a Boarding school that was similar to the way residential schools are portrayed--Does that count?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:59 PM

interesting info here, sometimes worth taking a look around on the interweb before making assumptions;
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ry-Jan2016.pdf
Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 PM

OK I get it . Was just wondering. My ignorance has been revealed I will stick to my single pole tactics LOL
Old 05-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
interesting info here, sometimes worth taking a look around on the interweb before making assumptions;
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ry-Jan2016.pdf
interesting read. Not sure of your accusation of assumption. Please explain.thanks

Last edited by expedition; 05-07-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
interesting read. Not sure of your accusation of assumption. Please explain.thanks
wrong race, wrong colour, etc
Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 PM

GREAT system stock fish then take out in nets , the sport fisherman get zero retention , what a waste of tax dollars
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Some get to net lots and keep..... I get to net one or maybe with a double header two at a time if two in the boat. But my net never gets to go in the water to keep a fish, only to land it and let it go( cause I have no tag) if its not a trout,(and not all trout obviously) , burbot, perch, whitefish hmmmmmmm. Kinda makes me think after 25 years they should rethink certain areas that have been closed. And NO!!! do not open for netting. No expert by no means, but maybe some across the table talk might be considered. I do not have the answers by no means. Just me and an uninformed opinion. If I should shut up then I should be told.........
Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
GREAT system stock fish then take out in nets , the sport fisherman get zero retention , what a waste of tax dollars
I could be wrong but I don't think that's happening! Quoted document says stocked trout lakes are prohibited.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Forget last post ! Just read lack la biche stocked with 38 million walleye fry!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Forget last post ! Just read lack la biche stocked with 38 million walleye fry!
The 38 million walleye fry are probably to feed the cormorants, grebes and herons. I'd be more worried about the cormorants than the netting. 1 pair of nesting cormorants with 1 or 2 chicks will eat a good amount of forage fish each day. In 2005 study revealed just over 8000 nesting pairs, so 16,000 adult cormorants within a 45 km radius of Lac La Biche. And about 1.5, or almost 2 young birds per nest.

Even at a low estimate of 1 lb. of fish per bird per day... let's say 25 thousand cormorants (in the LacLaBiche area) times 1 lb. of fish each per day = 25000 lbs of forage fish per day. Used to be the pike and walleye were the top predators for the forage fish. The cormorants are the top predator now and the walleye and pike just compete for the forage fish. Less forage fish for the predator fish results in smaller predators.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Fish harvest

For several 1000 years there was native harvest and there was cormorants, grebes and herons and the lake was full of fish. Pike to 40 lb ect.
Then non native harvest began and in 60 ears this and several other lakes have been cleaned out.
It is true now natives use the new methods and are more effective but it was their food before as it still is now.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
I went to a Boarding school that was similar to the way residential schools are portrayed--Does that count?
Saint John's ??
Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
For several 1000 years there was native harvest and there was cormorants, grebes and herons and the lake was full of fish. Pike to 40 lb ect.
Then non native harvest began and in 60 ears this and several other lakes have been cleaned out.
It is true now natives use the new methods and are more effective but it was their food before as it still is now.
Litterally every race in the world has a history of living off of fishing and hunting, many of them until at least as recently as the North American Natives. That worked back when the fish and game populations outnumbered the human population by a wide margin. That is obviously no longer the case, the fish and game populations are no longer sufficient to even support just the hugely expanded Native population of Canada. If every Native in Canada tried to "live off of the land" exclusively I doubt we would even make it a decade before suffering a total collapse. The wildlife situation in Africa, that is more or less what we would have.

The current situation is completely different than what it was even 50 years ago, just like the rest of us had to do decades ago it is time for the indigenous peoples to realise that the old ways are no longer sustainable, if they want these traditions to survive at all through the next few generations their harvest needs to be regulated.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-08-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:12 PM

It's all comes down to race! I hate that. We need equality for all Canadians!
Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Litterally every race in the world has a history of living off of fishing and hunting, many of them until at least as recently as the North American Natives. That worked back when the fish and game populations outnumbered the human population by a wide margin. That is obviously no longer the case, the fish and game populations are no longer sufficient to even support just the hugely expanded Native population of Canada. If every Native in Canada tried to "live off of the land" exclusively I doubt we would even make it a decade before suffering a total collapse. The wildlife situation in Africa, that is more or less what we would have.

The current situation is completely different than what it was even 50 years ago, just like the rest of us had to do decades ago it is time for the indigenous peoples to realise that the old ways are no longer sustainable, if they want these traditions to survive at all through the next few generations their harvest needs to be regulated.
You make a very good logical point. Past contracts/treaties do complicate matters though.

Someone once told me he would support "white mans tools white mans rules" again this would seem reasonable but past contracts/treaties complicate things like this.

In this particular situation I hope they net the walleye down to more reasonable numbers, as we have seen in lake, after lake, after lake, what happens when F and W allow the walleye numbers to get to the ridiculous numbers they have artificially set as "sustainable". I for one am a little tired of skinny walleye and collapsed pike and perch fisheries.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:47 PM

maybe we should all not buy a fishing license this year and see how much the government would loose is cash
Old 05-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
You make a very good logical point. Past contracts/treaties do complicate matters though.

Someone once told me he would support "white mans tools white mans rules" again this would seem reasonable but past contracts/treaties complicate things like this.

In this particular situation I hope they net the walleye down to more reasonable numbers, as we have seen in lake, after lake, after lake, what happens when F and W allow the walleye numbers to get to the ridiculous numbers they have artificially set as "sustainable". I for one am a little tired of skinny walleye and collapsed pike and perch fisheries.
There is a study available you can read about the Lac La Biche stocking program. Also recent netting data too.

You can see that the stocked fish ballooned the population but that recruitment has been spotty. The population will likely crash again thanks to the poor recruitment and the netting going on, if/when it does I hope they don't stock another walleye in that lake until they revise native american fishing rights.

Unfortunately that likely won't happen, based on AEPs presentation in the fall the treaty rights are more important then sport fisherman... I don't think the treaties say anything about us having to pay to stock their lakes though so hopefully there will be push back if they go to do it again.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
No there wasn’t. All those thousands of cormorants are a recent addition.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
There is a study available you can read about the Lac La Biche stocking program. Also recent netting data too.

You can see that the stocked fish ballooned the population but that recruitment has been spotty. The population will likely crash again thanks to the poor recruitment and the netting going on, if/when it does I hope they don't stock another walleye in that lake until they revise native american fishing rights.

Unfortunately that likely won't happen, based on AEPs presentation in the fall the treaty rights are more important then sport fisherman... I don't think the treaties say anything about us having to pay to stock their lakes though so hopefully there will be push back if they go to do it again.
I have certainly read the reports and it's always the same pattern on lake, after lake, after lake.

If you have a huge number of large walleye eating everything in sight how would you ever have recruitment? We have seen this again and again where they allow the over stocked fish to dominate and then there is no recruitment as there is no forage for the young. They force this to continue until at last the older walleye die off some twenty years latter and finally make some room for recruitment. Net result is a closed fishery for 25-30 years.

At least this way they might be netting some off the top to make room for recruitment and possibly recover the fishery quicker.

Last edited by cube; 05-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Following
Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against harvesting food the old way , no trucks ,quads,or chain saws, if all done by hand like the old days then the lakes will never be over netted.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM

It's just time to turn the page...times have changed for the natives just like the rest of us. Tough to please everyone so maybe we should just all get off our highchairs and follow the same rules no matter what color we are. If you pay for a license you are as entitled to those stocked fish as anyone else. The system is not working or fair and it further divides us. Maybe try something new for once or in one lake even bit not these knot headed biologists and fishery experts. Theyll take it to their graves. Look around and see what works everywhere else.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Default New technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
I have nothing against harvesting food the old way , no trucks ,quads,or chain saws, if all done by hand like the old days then the lakes will never be over netted.
We all use new methods. Your and my great grandfather never had 4X4s or range finders , modern rifles, game cameras and now we all get to use the new technology.