Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Default Some People!

So yesterday my son and I are hiking in the mountains and this brown Toyota truck drives by us and there are two young guys in the truck. Now here is the real problem I have! How is it that some people can get behind locked gates and drive around in a Wildland Park while others have to walk, bike or ride horses. This truck was a crewcab with a topper, it had a national park pass hanging off the rear view mirror, and there was also some kind of parking lot pass “LL” and then an expiration date on the pass. Not sure where that pass was for. License plate number was BKZ-8148. I tried to phone this in but just got recording of office hrs. This pizzes a guy off!!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Any time I have got through a locked gate I use a key. The rules do not apply to THEM !
You have to realize that if they are park workers , they would not be expected to walk in , the same as if we had a job like that .
Old 06-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Some people just don't believe that any rules apply to them.

Call them in on Monday, when the office is open. You have enough info that AEP or National Parks (whichever the case) should be able to find these morons. It would be even better if you have video.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Any time I have got through a locked gate I use a key. The rules do not apply to THEM !
You have to realize that if they are park workers , they would not be expected to walk in , the same as if we had a job like that .
I'm pretty sure this is not a Parks truck. I don't know what they were up to as they were a little hesitant to pass us. For all I know they may have been hauling in a camp for hunting season, but who knows for sure!

Last edited by ram crazy; 02-23-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:27 PM

You can call the RAP hotline on weekends when local branches are closed to report things like this, I did it twice already. If it's time sensitive they'll contact a CO on duty that will contact you or they will tell you where to send your statement and all info so they can investigate it.
They als have an app for cell phones now where you can report land abuse:
https://www.alberta.ca/report-poacher.aspx
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM

maybe some university gal doing research
could also be a regional biologist
Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Good for you.
We need more upstanding citizens like yourself.

U got licence plate, let the cops figure it out.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
maybe some university gal doing research
could also be a regional biologist
this.....i'm guessing they're studying pine beetles, or brown bats, or the number of naked hikers they find copulating on the trails.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 PM

As was mentioned above, it could be university students doing research or, someone doing subcontract work for the parks.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Banned

Maybe ask what there doing before getting panties in a bunch guys always up in arms before you know the reason for them being in there
Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Maybe ask what there doing before getting panties in a bunch guys always up in arms before you know the reason for them being in there
This.

It is most likely one of the above mentioned. I would have confronted them and asked.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
They wouldn't stop, hell they wouldn't even wave. You see any time I've seen university people out and about they were always in a university marked vehicle weather it be a UofA, UofL, or UofC written on the door of the vehicle.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
They wouldn't stop, hell they wouldn't even wave. You see any time I've seen university people out and about they were always in a university marked vehicle weather it be a UofA, UofL, or UofC written on the door of the vehicle.
Stopped long enough for you to take pictures of truck.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
X2
Old 06-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Didn’t sound like you tried to stop them in your first post.

I highly doubt you even tried...
Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM

good way to get into trouble stopping someone who might be doing something wrong ,good judgement on your part
Old 06-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
good way to get into trouble stopping someone who might be doing something wrong ,good judgement on your part
And that right there is one huge problem we face these days, too many pansies wandering around who won’t do anything when they see someone doing something wrong.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
and that right there is one huge problem we face these days, too many pansies wandering around who won’t do anything when they see someone doing something wrong.
this.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Stopped long enough for you to take pictures of truck.
My kid took pics as they drove by, and eventually when we did find the truck parked, not a soul to be seen. Do you know this truck?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
And that right there is one huge problem we face these days, too many pansies wandering around who won’t do anything when they see someone doing something wrong.
Aren't you a hero!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Aren't you a hero!
It was a good point. Maybe not being a hero but this is a problem in our society. So many videos you see of people being robbed, beaten, harassed, stores being looted, parks being destroyed and the people watching do nothing at all.

This world would be a lot harder for the people who do wrong if others would do more than take pictures and post on forums.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Well it doesn't hurt. I love to see this stuff.

And if these guys are"authorized" maybe more people that are all for closures will start understanding it's not for everyone, in fact, it's basically only for joe tax paying public.

Nice.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:27 PM

PS.

I know what parking pass Is. it's a zone parking permit LL which is a zone by crowchild and glenmore in Calgary.

Had a similiar situation with a road closure due to bridge building on a road on public land. We walked in and got an a ripping from the road crew. On our way out a guy in. A truck comes towards us. I tell him about the closure and the road crew dicks, he says no problem, he Knows the road guys and they gave him the key to get in..
Old 06-10-2018, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Aren't you a hero!
Not a hero, but I have no problem with confrontation. Have been doing so my whole life. Around our place we get trespassers and poachers all the time, I have come face to face with many and have done so on crown land as well.

I find face to face confrontation and education works better than jumping on the internet with pictures and whining about it.

Still betting on you’re wrong about why they where in there...
Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 AM

While I do agree and praise you for wanting to report them as you believe they were doing something wrong. Which as like others stated many people nowadays just watch and do nothing.

I do however have to respectfully disagree with you posting their license plate and pictures of their vehicle until you knew the full story. Your plans were to report them, so I would of just stuck with that, and if it turns out they were doing something wrong then yeah I guess you could post their stuff online. Or if they were definitely doing something wrong like destroying property. But at this point they may still be 100% innocent, and you posting their plates and truck can "harm" them in a way.

Scary thing with cell phones these days and the internet, if something gets recorded and posted without the full story, it can ruin someone.
Not trying to hate as it seems like everyone on here lately just wants to argue and fight. Just my two cents.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

Wah, wah.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is not a Parks truck. I don't know what they were up to as they were a little hesitant to pass us. For all I know they may have been hauling in a camp for hunting season, but who knows for sure!
Can't trust anyone who puts that kind of grille on their truck
Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 PM

The NP Pass is just that, and the other pass is a City of Calgary residential parking permit...

-Confucius
Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
While I do agree and praise you for wanting to report them as you believe they were doing something wrong. Which as like others stated many people nowadays just watch and do nothing.

I do however have to respectfully disagree with you posting their license plate and pictures of their vehicle until you knew the full story. Your plans were to report them, so I would of just stuck with that, and if it turns out they were doing something wrong then yeah I guess you could post their stuff online. Or if they were definitely doing something wrong like destroying property. But at this point they may still be 100% innocent, and you posting their plates and truck can "harm" them in a way.

Scary thing with cell phones these days and the internet, if something gets recorded and posted without the full story, it can ruin someone.
Not trying to hate as it seems like everyone on here lately just wants to argue and fight. Just my two cents.

Totally agree.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I believe the "LL" placard indicates the vehicle is registered to a resident of Lake Louise. Anyone residing in a national park community is required to display these in their vehicles.