Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM

I have also been looking into this (here in BC) and find it somewhat confusing. When I went to register my dodge 3500 as a farm vehicle I was told I need a NSC number because i was registering it over 5500kg +/-. Their calculation was gross gvw x 1.5. 3800x1.5 put me at 5700kg. This was the first I've heard of this as my truck was registered last year in AB at 11596kg commercially and did not require a NSC #????? Is this new? Also, I was under the impression that if you were even just registered over 4500 kg that you have to pull into the scales. The only exemption I have found for me is that running farm plates, if I am unladen I do not need to stop at the scales even if I am registered over the 4500kg threshold.
Chris
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM

By the way Caber, what’s the new truck?
Cube van?
Ex ambulance?
Fire truck?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Well you're wrong. The correct answer is if the truck weighs more than 4500KG, and it's used for commercial use - it needs to pull into the weigh scale. Period.

Doesn't matter what its registered at. Doesn't matter what the door sticker says. If it's over 4500kg - pull in. Try having that argument with your local DOT officer and see how far it goes.
If you're registered for 4499 and weigh over 4500kg, you may as well cross your fingers and blow past the scale. At least that way you have a chance of getting away with it. If your weight is more than what you're registered for, you're hooped regardless of what those weights are. If you're registered for 4500kg or greater, you need to pull into the scales regardless of what your actual weight is.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 PM

just taking a flying stab at this as I saw cabers van today.

his van is completely empty but will have shelves installed and his plumbing wares/tools shelved in time.

caber, are you asking about the weight registered as;
an empty van
or
a fixed filled with tools and stuff?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM

Default GVWR’s and Scales

You would have to register it as high as it possibly could weigh. So for starters, yourself, full of tools, fuel, what ever u need everyday. Then add in a helper, extra materials, 500 lbs for driving down a muddy road possibly, might need to tow a trailer, have to add that to then add another 500lbs just in case. That’s what you would register it for. Then if you find yourself possibly higher then that reregister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
You would have to register it as high as it possibly could weigh. So for starters, yourself, full of tools, fuel, what ever u need everyday. Then add in a helper, extra materials, 500 lbs for driving down a muddy road possibly, might need to tow a trailer, have to add that to then add another 500lbs just in case. That’s what you would register it for. Then if you find yourself possibly higher then that reregister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
By the way Caber, what’s the new truck?
Cube van?
Ex ambulance?
Fire truck?

To my knowledge, Calgary's only 4x4 plumbing service van (real high and low range 4x4, not like those 1/2 ton AWD Savana's that may or may not still be available). My interior shelving is being shipped out from Quebec and its got no signage yet. I'm also getting the lower sills and rear wheel wells Line-X'd :

Crankbait, I've already weighed it empty but with me and a full fuel tank at a certified scale for a baseline so that I know what my shelving weighs. Then I will throw in tools and normal inventory and weigh again, just to know my usual weight before any extras for specific jobs.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 PM

That’s awesome.
Congrats on the sweet wheels.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
That’s awesome.
Congrats on the sweet wheels.
Thanks, its been a long wait and it feels good to drive something nice again, its been quite a while. My previous rig was a 2000 Savana 2500 long wheelbase, I had it since 2001 and didn't want to put signage on it once I went independent because it looked less than stellar (it was originally my service van while working for my old man and I bought it off of him).
Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
To my knowledge, Calgary's only 4x4 plumbing service van (real high and low range 4x4, not like those 1/2 ton AWD Savana's that may or may not still be available). My interior shelving is being shipped out from Quebec and its got no signage yet. I'm also getting the lower sills and rear wheel wells Line-X'd :

Crankbait, I've already weighed it empty but with me and a full fuel tank at a certified scale for a baseline so that I know what my shelving weighs. Then I will throw in tools and normal inventory and weigh again, just to know my usual weight before any extras for specific jobs.
That is going to be a great looking setup upon completion! Congrats.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 PM

I was hoping that was what you ended up with when I started reading this. You talked about getting this a couple of years ago when you fixed my furnace. Good to see someone get what they worked for. Congrats.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 AM

Why not just write down all your information and drive to the nearest weigh scales and ask the people there what the requirements are. I'm sure they will answer all your questions. JMO.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Why not just write down all your information and drive to the nearest weigh scales and ask the people there what the requirements are. I'm sure they will answer all your questions. JMO.
getting all the info straight from the horses mouth - what a novel idea !

Dodger.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post

Because then there'd be no fun of discussing it here . And a written list? C'mon, that would be too efficient. That's crazy talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I was hoping that was what you ended up with when I started reading this. You talked about getting this a couple of years ago when you fixed my furnace. Good to see someone get what they worked for. Congrats.
Thanks, I've been wanting something that worked properly for a while. The old unit was getting in pretty sorry shape, the list was getting too long to ignore so when it broke down on the highway I wasn't even interested in troubleshooting what was wrong with it. I suspect it might just be a fuel pump but am still sending it off to the wreckers once I remove a few things from it.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Auto wreckers ? I thought you would blow the thing up and record it for us armchair warriors.

Dodger.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Auto wreckers ? I thought you would blow the thing up and record it for us armchair warriors.

Dodger.
First I'd need a safe rural venue and to crowdfund enough tannerite to send it into orbit

My first ever GoFundMe idea!!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
First I'd need a safe rural venue and to crowdfund enough tannerite to send it into orbit

id give $100
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Dodger.
Saw someone put a brick on a gas pedal once. Dam thing ran for at least 10 mins @ full throttle before it finally started to slow and seize.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I’ll volunteer the safe rural venue
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Go to Bass Pro and get a quote for 300/KG's of Tannerite and get back to us.

Dodger.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM

If I guy had his weights done up in Roman numerals do you think that would fly at the weigh scales?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
If I guy had his weights done up in Roman numerals do you think that would fly at the weigh scales?

The Egyptians used cubits to measure length, so surely they had something for weight as well. Therefore I would like my GVWR and TARE written in heiroglyphics