Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Some Tent Camping Recommendations

Well, the family has changed gears, we're looking to do some tent camping this summer. I haven't tented in over 20 years, but have been "glamping" most of the time (35' TT), so our focus has been best locations that fit our trailer, and haven't really paid attention to tenting areas.

What are some great Tenting campgrounds located within 2-3 hours of Calgary?

I'm looking for something with showers and bathrooms (happy wife/happy life), and would like it to be in close proximity to either a lake or river, and some hiking trails. Upper/Lower Kananaskis lakes (and area) are out, due to an extremely close encounter with a bear (I know, it can happen anywhere, but once again.. HW/HL).

Basically I'm looking for a hidden gem, lake front, river front, but must be part of a CG.

Oh feel free to PM if you don't want to world to know the location.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Beaver Mines Lake is nice, although they don't have showers at the campground. Good fishing as the campground is right on the lake, plus the rivers / streams in the area open up soon. The hike up Table mountain offers pretty spectacular views, although it's been a decade or two since I've been up there.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Well, the family has changed gears, we're looking to do some tent camping this summer. I haven't tented in over 20 years, but have been "glamping" most of the time (35' TT), so our focus has been best locations that fit our trailer, and haven't really paid attention to tenting areas.

What are some great Tenting campgrounds located within 2-3 hours of Calgary?

I'm looking for something with showers and bathrooms (happy wife/happy life), and would like it to be in close proximity to either a lake or river, and some hiking trails. Upper/Lower Kananaskis lakes (and area) are out, due to an extremely close encounter with a bear (I know, it can happen anywhere, but once again.. HW/HL).

Basically I'm looking for a hidden gem, lake front, river front, but must be part of a CG.

Oh feel free to PM if you don't want to world to know the location.

Thanks in advance.
It's no hidden gem, but its a great place to go if you can get a spot. Two Jack Lakeside in Banff. Has running water with toilets and showers. Good luck getting in though as it books up early. We got lucky and got a spot because Im alway checking the reservation sites online.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-12-2018, 02:48 PM

Maybe not so helpful, but to get around the shower issue at CG's with only pit toilets and water pumps when we don't take the TT.

A yard sprayer(dedicated to water use only) is in my camp kit now. I fill it half full and then add in a pot of heated water off the campstove, pump up the sprayer and have a warm shower.

It's not the greatest solution but it also comes in handy to spray off the dogs if(when) they get muddy. The lady was skeptical at first but really likes it now. I just hang a PVC tube with 4, 90 Degree fittings and shower curtain for her privacy requirements.

I read somewhere that some people paint it black and leave it in the sun but I find heating up some water to be a simpler process, as well as seeing the water level.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It's no hidden gem, but its a great place to go if you can get a spot. Two Jack Lakeside in Banff. Has running water with toilets and showers. Good luck getting in though as it books up early. We got lucky and got a spot because Im alway checking the reservation sites online.
Yeah, we've already missed the boat for any reservations unless we get lucky. Hoping for some first come first serve. I'm willing to head out midweek to enjoy some quiet time.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Maybe not so helpful, but to get around the shower issue at CG's with only pit toilets and water pumps when we don't take the TT.

A yard sprayer(dedicated to water use only) is in my camp kit now. I fill it half full and then add in a pot of heated water off the campstove, pump up the sprayer and have a warm shower.

It's not the greatest solution but it also comes in handy to spray off the dogs if(when) they get muddy. The lady was skeptical at first but really likes it now. I just hang a PVC tube with 4, 90 Degree fittings and shower curtain for her privacy requirements.

I read somewhere that some people paint it black and leave it in the sun but I find heating up some water to be a simpler process, as well as seeing the water level.
That's a good idea, Although baby steps.. lol..

I guess I should've mentioned, that showers are a nice to have (probably won't be more than 3 nights), but toilets a necessity..
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Come down here and check out the cypress hills. Nicely treed tent spots. 4 lakes in the area, couple creeks too. No bears and there is flushable toilets and showers.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Check for the bigger Alberta Park Campgrounds. They all should have running water with bathrooms. Honestly though, the best part of tent camping is when you can rough it a bit and get away from the trailers and generators.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill