Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Sonar

Whats a good sonar for $3-400. Maybe a hair more. I got some Cabalas gift cards to use up. My boat is just a 12' aluminum but I do take it on big/ deep water. Any suggestions would be appreciated as ive never even used one before.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM

For that price there's thousands do some research online hummingbird, Lawrence eagle also decide if you want a permanent transducer or a suction cup one you can pick up a nice hummingbird battery ,portable transducer ,permanent transducer for that price.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Get a helix 5 portable and the Cabela’s portable transducer mount. Shocking how good it is. Can see lake trout on the bottom in 130’ park on them and watch them come up to grab your falling jig. Can see you barrel swivel 24” above your jig in 130’.

Has GPS and can get an ice transducer for it. Great on the ice as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM

I just picked up a Garmin Striker 4 portable kit from Canadian Tire.
It is the only one in its class that has a GPS feature so you can drop waypoints and make tracks to follow.
Very easy to use, has option for split screen showing both 77 hz and 200 hz at the same time or individually.
Also has a flasher built in for ice fishing. It's a nice, compact package, great for small boats. I'm working in Northern Ontario right now and most of the boat rentals have nothing so I wanted to have one for this reason. I plan to use it on my big boat at home so I can use the GPS feature too.
It also has a mount for inside a kayak if you ever plan on trying one of those.
Also hoping to do some fly in trips in the future so this will be great for that too
It was $279, the guy in the outdoors department checked and it was due to come on sale so he got me the sale price, $251. He was training a new guy and told him to always check on electronic sales to possibly save customers money. I was pretty impressed by that too. Thanks to the Kenora Canadian Tire!!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Check out the brand new Lowrance Hook2. Not sure what features you want. For $500 you can get either a SplitShot (2D and Downscan) or a Tripleshot (2D, Downscan and sidescan)

Most come with mapping and map cards at that price, then you just need to pick a screen size. 5” or 7” for your budget
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM

In my sincere opinion - what you think you want may not be what you need.

After your sonar (to find structure and fish) the next most important feature has to be GPS.

Once you find a nice drop off just mark a waypoint. Move over 20 feet and pop another waypoint onto your map - before you know it you have an accurate map to troll along some structure and can quickly find those productive areas over and over again.

There's lot of great choices out there ...... here's what I'd be looking at .....

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/93662...argps-g2-combo

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10762...anada-nav-maps

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/93680...combo-with-nav
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the help. Those are the ones I was looking at so now I will feel more confident in the purchase.