Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Default The worst..

Ice fisherman ever! Lol! Ok so I managed to get the kids out onto Heritage Lake out by Morinville this afternoon.. I've gone out a couple seasons but have only ever managed to catch jacks an a few burbut.. I tried to get a trout but no luck.. Think I need some learning.. I'm a new fishing person and could use a little advice.. How'd you suggest I go on about learning a few things?? Books, video, mags.. Love the sport.. Just gotta start figurin out a few tricks here and there.. Anything??
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I ice fish rainbow trout like a cave man. A worm a foot off bottom

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM

No jigging, no sonar super cameras?? Heh. Truth be told I don't mind getting skunked time to time.. But I have no idea what lures, fishing technique, or anything along those lines.. I..I.. I just wanna catch a trout!!! Lol! Teach my kids daddy can catch more than a... Cold! are there any gathering or club event that I might be able to scam some useful tips from?? Come on and help a new fishing person! Or don't and I'll muddle along loving the sport, teaching my kids to respect nature and the people that play in it.. We will all just be a little well fed..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldone View Post
No jigging, no sonar super cameras?? Heh. Truth be told I don't mind getting skunked time to time.. But I have no idea what lures, fishing technique, or anything along those lines.. I..I.. I just wanna catch a trout!!! Lol! Teach my kids daddy can catch more than a... Cold! are there any gathering or club event that I might be able to scam some useful tips from?? Come on and help a new fishing person! Or don't and I'll muddle along loving the sport, teaching my kids to respect nature and the people that play in it.. We will all just be a little well fed..
I usually use pickeral rigs tipped with worms or powerbait.Small guppy hooks also work good.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

IMO, the best way to learn is to go out with someone that has some experience. Books and reading is good but real first hand knowledge is best. I'm not up your way but hopefully someone steps up and takes you out.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM

More practice. When you go out and see others catching fish. Talk to them. I have found very few people that dont get a little Bob Izumi if you compliment them and ask for a few tips.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Ya, I did manage to get some super advice a few years back on Jacks.. Which I will share with you all.. "those buggers'll eat anything you can think off that you can fit down the hole.. Just put a bobber on it and when it moves... Which it will.. Pull in the bugger!" so ya.. I've been doing just that with pretty good success. No monsters but I'm happy with what's been offered to me by the lakes! And now the trouts and white fish,.. Is a trout considered a white fish even though it's pink? Lol. These city raised kid.. lol
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
IMO, the best way to learn is to go out with someone that has some experience. Books and reading is good but real first hand knowledge is best. I'm not up your way but hopefully someone steps up and takes you out.
agreed. ask around. meet a fisher person and go out with them. you'll learn more in a few hours fishing with someone, then anything else. try the guys at the local tackle shops. you mentioned you want to get your kids involved and somebody is bound to help you out.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM

LOL no. Trout are different than a whitefish, different species. I suggest some research via google or this forum and familiarize yourself with other species so you can identify them and know what you're catching in case you plan on keeping something (KNOW your regulations). For reference, lots of good material here: www.albertaregulations.ca
Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Lol! Ya I know.. I was kidding.. I'm pretty good with identifing, and rarely keep anything.. However this does kinda give me an idea for like a fishing do's and don'ts beginner lesson guide walk through thing.. Heck I could write a book on the don'ts for normal fishing.. And am well on my way to the first couple chapters for ice...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Oh!! But I guess that's why they call it Fishing instead of Catching eh??

Do's- keep a copy of the regs in your tackle bag!
Don't- assume your winter tackle is in the same bag a your summer gear!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM

I'd also take advantage of the staff at some of the tackle shops. Head in, find a knowledgable staff member and talk it up for a while. There often more than willing to
help out newbies and get you set up with the right gear.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM

use a worm about 1 foot below the ice on a circle hook make sure you use light line...good luck
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM

On a. Hook and that's it? Just let it lie.. Jig? Sit back, enjoy coffee?

I'm tellin ya... I'm bringing ice with me in a cooler this summer if I can't get a trout! Lol!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 AM

let a little bit of the worm hang off because the end that hangs a lil creates alot of action and helps draw the fish in...just be careful they dont steal it. They're good at that.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Try a tiny jig head and feed the worm on like a plastic grub bait, and like has already been mentioned, leave a little to dangle. it will wiggle when it is still alive. I take a worm and break it into 4 pieces.

Also try tiny pieces of raw shimp. Feed it on the same way. Try to make it a thin piece so that it also will "wave" when jigged. A simple chunk of shrimp also works, but for me, not as well.

For jig heads I have had great success with northland jig heads. Try some of these, experiment with the colors:

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...cat=358&pc=231
http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...cat=359&pc=231
http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...cat=557&pc=231

Chartreuse Genz worms have also worked for me.

And tie on more than one jig head to your line. Just tie a normal improved clinch with an extra long tag, and then tie the 2nd one on that. The top jig may hang a little sideways but it hasn't made any difference in my experience. The benefit is that you can fish 2 different presentations with 2 different baits at 2 different depths. Do that with 2 rods and you get to learn really quickly what they are after that particular day.

I've had moderate (but not great) success with mealworms as well.

Try a tiny shrimp imitation fly as the bottom hook if the above tactics are not working.

Use fluorocarbon in 4-6lb test. If that is not spooled on your reel already, just get a small spool and tie on a leader. Trout can be line shy and fluoro is invisible under water.

Hope this helps, let us know how you do!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 PM

I'd like to thank each of you that sent an email or responded on here.. It's really restored a lot of faith in strangers! I'll be heading out this weekend to try a couple of your suggestions to see how they pan out.. Thanks again and I'll keep ya updated if I manage to get anything lol!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Default Bahahah!!!

Well guys.. the Trout NO LUCK streak continues!! Headed out this morning for Peanut Lake.. packed the fishing gear, Kids and Grandpa into the Jeep and ROLLLLED on out!! Takes about an hour and a bit to get out there and when we did there were several trucks out on the ice.. so we wheeled on over and parked far enough away to not crowd them. Nice guys.. let us know the Ice was about 3-4 feet deep. They weren't having any luck... except for a little later when we heard a couple "Victory" calls.. We set up.. Drilled our holes.. tossed some lines in the water.. The kids started playing around and Grandpa and I started jigging..

I used alot of the suggestions I'd had emailed to me.. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!! we jigged and changed lures and jigged some more.. and let it sit for abit while I played with the kids.. jigged some more.. heh but alas...

Still no trout.. LOL I'm not giving up there's still a couple days left before I'm sunk though..

Thats my son.. he's 2.. and he's all over the rod.. "ME TURN!!"

Guess we'll have to try another location, might even head out and spend a day fishing Jacks just to redeem my Amateurish Trout fishing skills LOL!!

Hope your weekend was just as good as mine!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Looks like you got a fisherman there
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 PM

looks like a riot to me !!!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 PM

You bet it was a riot! And now to find some trout!! Lol
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM

I'll go out with u if u like...... send me a pm
Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 AM

get a hold of some shrimp, it makes excellent rainbow trout bait raw or cooked.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

maybe try spring lake out by stony plain i have never been skunked there for rainbows just a suggestion good luck on those trout
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Default Fishful Thinking!!

Well... the quest Continues!! Well I was invited out to Carson Provincial Park to fish for some Rainbows out there... and everything I've heard.. has been fantastic!! So my dad and I headed out first thing this morning.. We rolled onto the Lake about 8:30 and within 10 Minutes, our friendly guide came wandering over.. The Lake had a scattering of vehicles and people all over the place. So it was pretty promising... We set up and to our pleasant surprise they had drilled a couple extra holes for us.. I have a hand auger so with 2ft of ice this was REALLY appreciated! Totally shows the kinda people we have on the Forum.. Lines Dropped in and advice given on how to pull a Trout through the hole.. and within 20 minutes.. FISH ON!!! wasn't me.. or my Dad but the spot definitely looking up!!

So I'm just waiting.. jigging.. waiting.. walked the annoying Yappy dog.. waited.. jigged..

Fish ON!! FISH ON!! FISH ON!! FISH ON!! hhmm.. still not us.. and still not.. or J's buddy.. hhmmm I'm starting to think maybe he brought these fish him.. phrases such as.. "I can see who's Walking home tonight!"

and the Dog fell asleep...

FISH ON!!

This voice is getting familiar.. 3 of us all sitting freezing.. and a 4th.. getting all the Fish..

Dad started to get cold.. started getting bored.. and the first suggestion of headin home is voiced.. and I urged.. umm a couple more hours.. and it was voiced again an hour later.. and My dad's limit was reached! LOL

So off to warmer air..

Now.. I am forced to say this.. as good as these two Gentlemen were and showed us the Best of what could be expected out there.. another group out there made us all look like disrespectful idiots by.. Scattering Garbage all over the site where they had been fishing and dumping beer cans all over the place.. As I rolled out kind of disgusted it didn't occur to me until I got to the gas station.. DAM!!! I shoulda picked up the mess instead of leaving it!! AAHH!!! What was I THINKING!!!

Again Thanks guys! Your advice was Great, had some good laughs, and enjoyed getting out of the City.. Look forward to getting out again! Now then.. I was thinking today might have been my last time out.. but since I am again skunked.. I am FORCED to go out again.. darn.. heh..
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Buck up! If it makes you feel better Al got skunked today too... I am afraid it was slow for the lake, I hope you come meet us again usually we do well! Was good times and the pepperoni was delicious.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I usually use pickeral rigs tipped with worms or powerbait.Small guppy hooks also work good.
you use that for everthing SuckerMaster !!!

lol
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 PM

In case... Anyone was curious... I'm still skunked for trout... Bahahaha!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM

and has the streak continued?????????
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Ive fished some rainbows through the ice in BC and southern alberta, you can jig them in but I think you have more success with a still presentation, shrimp corn maggots power bait, pencil boober if need be, and those tiny tiny neon jog heads, or just a plain hook. lighter tackle, least amount of split shots. Id say we caught more fish near bottom, but sometimes right below the ice or suspended can be the ticket... we never had much luck on still water trout flies youd expect to be a food source in the winter.