Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Range finders??

Any recommendations on a good quality range finder?

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Range

Leica 1200
Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 PM

The Leopold one with the inclinometer.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Every time I've researched rangefinders, and read threads about the same, the Leica comes out ahead as the clear winner. It's one of the priciest ones out there, but it's point and shoot simple, with good optics to boot.

The main complaint about rangefinders is that the range isn't often what it's made out to be on the packaging. If you want to go out 500 yards, get the model that can do 1000 yards, and you might get lucky.

The Leica, apparently, is one of the best for putting the technology where the words on the box are.

The main complaint about the Leupold was a clumsy interface that required cycling through menus and pressing a lot of buttons to get it to do what you needed to do.

If all you need one for is small distances, say 200 yards or less, you will probably find any of the available rangefinders will suit your purposes, but if you never want to buy another rangefinder again, and have one that will probably outlast you and maybe the next generation, the Leica is the clear winner.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Your input is highly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Right now I would have to say especially for tree stands , and sheep hunting, I would have to go with the Bushnell Arc range finder. Playing with that angle adjustment will help alot of people out.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM

I have a Nikon 400 and it is simple and works great. I use it for bow hunting, therefore I only need it for up to 50 -60 yrds. I didn't have the money for the high end brands.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

I have no complaints about Nikon ... good optics.

I would however look for a range finder with a inclemeter built in if you hunt coulees or hilly or mountain region areas. I don't think the inclemeter is required as much for tree stands because you can easily and have time to fgiure out wheter you need to minus 1,2 or 3 meters.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Leica 1200
X2.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Right now I would have to say especially for tree stands , and sheep hunting, I would have to go with the Bushnell Arc range finder. Playing with that angle adjustment will help alot of people out.
X2 I have a 1200 yrd ARC and it works great longest it ranged was in the mountains on a solid face 1400yrds. Have done 1000 on deer.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Default Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
X2 I have a 1200 yrd ARC and it works great longest it ranged was in the mountains on a solid face 1400yrds. Have done 1000 on deer.
That is just what I need for bowhunting ,especially zones like 410, what will one run you$$? Is rated at 1000yrds or 500 and you just got 1000 out of it?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM

Just took advantage of a $40 off offer from Cabelas and a strong Canadian Dollar. I have always liked Nikon and your good reports about them helped me to choose a Rifle Hunter 550. Good for inclose and afar. ID (inclinometer) technology included. Thanks again for your input. I will let you know how I like it.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
That is just what I need for bowhunting ,especially zones like 410, what will one run you$$? Is rated at 1000yrds or 500 and you just got 1000 out of it?
Its rated as a 1200yrd but your yardage drops on the smaller game. It was $450 at UFA for the camo one.

Have seen alot of 500yrd range finders have trouble getting 300yrds on deer and even less on antelope.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 PM

Default re

hi there
Im a fan of zeiss victory range finder and binos if you have a few extra bucks to spend please do your own research.....you will find that the zeiss victory rangefinder and there range finder binos were named readers choice of the year 2009 google dont take my word for it......they won hands down over top contenders such as leica but dont take my word for it they are both top rated just tring to share my thoughts and those of consumers around north america
Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Congrats on a good choice! I also have the Nikon Riflehunter 550 and I love it. I like the arc mode for treestand hunting. You can hold the button down while your target is moving and it will automatically change the readout for you. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's hard to read the numbers in low light conditions. But I don't know if other's are any better for that or not. For the money I don't think you"ll be dissapointed!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Since I use my exclusively for bow, I didn't want to pay for something good to 1000 yds or beyond. My bushnell does the trick. Simple to use which is good in the few seconds you could have to use it. Easy to see in any light I'd want to hunt in. Very light for carrying in a t-shirt pocket during warm weather stalking.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM

I went and bought a cabela's one myself(still in the mail). a buddy (with way more budget than me) just bought the lecia, nice unit. But yea I would say it is overkill for the most part for the bow hunter.

One thing the leica's have is an LED display not an LCD display on the weekend in the bright snow it was a pain to read but conversly in low light during most of bow season it would be much better I suspect.

I was shocked to see how much snow seems to degrade the range.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Well I have had the nikon 550 for a few weeks now and been testing it in a variety of places. I must say I am quite satisfied by it's reliability and effectiveness. I was worried it may be too big before I received it but my worries were quelled after the unit arrived. It's lightweight and small enough for a pocket on your coat. The display is very clear. If there were any negatives I would say that it can be a little tough to hold on small targets past 125 yards (not really an issue in the bow world) and I wish the unit would have come with a way to protect the eye piece from scratches. I must say it is nice for hunting in all kinds of light and with it's ability to read out between 10 - 550 Yards I will hopefully improve my game at the golf course this summer. Thanks for your input once again.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

i have a nikon 800s and i got a coyote at 400yards

i went and returned my high end bushnell in favor of it
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

I bought a Canadian Tire cheepee Bushnell. It had been used and returned so
many times the thing had peanut butter and all kinds of crap on it. It was 5-10 yards out in the barnyard.

I returned it .