Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Unhappy A sobering reminder, PLEASE pay attention, drive carefully on gravel roads

This was not an easy gentle 'oopsie' in the weeds, the 16 year old girl on her way to work had an angel looking over her this morning. Had this car not landed on the wheels today would not be a happy day. She was unable to extricate herself, imagine being upside down in that situation. Also, driving down a seldom used gravel road was not helping her, it was nearly 40 minutes before a vehicle came by.

Hug your kids today.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Banned

Good reminder Ken. What kind of car was it? FWD??
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Buick Lacerne I think front wheel drive

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 PM

There has been at least two similar accidents that I know of in Saskatchewan this summer ending in fatality's. Having a window breaking device saved a couple in one other incident, she said on TV she bought 2 dozen to give to all her friends.

I have an automatic center punch in my truck just in case.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Not sure how many of you have seen a off-road logging truck, but thats what they run here.

Anyways, I went to get off the road as much as possible on friday for one and the edge of the road gave out, I almost lost the truck, but was able to block it up with boulders until the wife came out in the other truck to tow it out.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM

When I worked in emergency services back in the 70's and 80's I attended several accidents nearly identical to the picture. Several were the other way up with predictable results.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
This was not an easy gentle 'oopsie' in the weeds, the 16 year old girl on her way to work had an angel looking over her this morning. Had this car not landed on the wheels today would not be a happy day. She was unable to extricate herself, imagine being upside down in that situation. Also, driving down a seldom used gravel road was not helping her, it was nearly 40 minutes before a vehicle came by.

Hug your kids today.

Anyone see Rick Mercer a couple weeks ago? He was with a fire rescue team from Manitoba I think. They where going through submerged car self rescue. If in this situation you have to wait for the car to be completely submerged before opening the doors.

Doodle
Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

I'm gonna guess the road curved around the slough??
Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I'm gonna guess the road curved around the slough??
S leading to it

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 PM

where i come from in Holland ,i've seen this so often ,very often people don't survive these type of accidents
Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 PM

Also a good reminder to keep some method of cutting the seatbelt available. This situation being one reason of many.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM

As kids we cut a lady out of her belt in a slough, I always carry a couple of knives in my truck to this day
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
As kids we cut a lady out of her belt in a slough, I always carry a couple of knives in my truck to this day
Amen to that ^

In my early 20's while in a mall, I came across a little kid who was slowly being chewed up by an escalator with his pants caught in it. With the help of another stranger we were able to cut him out of the situation with a pocket knife I had on me, before flesh came involved. That little kid (now in his late 30's) still writes me thank-you cards every Christmas.

Be Prepared!

Mac
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Lucky girl

Lucky girl, I wonder what her cellphone history shows?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
This might me a time when seat belts do not save lives?

Not sure. I totally believe in seat belts.

Anyways, there are special extrication knives (tools) made specifically for seat belt and other materials that are extremely difficult to cut like climbing harnesses. MEC sells them.

I think investing in one of those knives and having it in the vehcile will be worth it.

Scary stuff.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 AM

22 year old ended up in Abraham lake out here last Tuesday. the divers got him and his car out on Thursday, figured speed and alcohol were factors. People dove in to try and get him out, but he was too deep.....
Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
This might me a time when seat belts do not save lives?

Not sure. I totally believe in seat belts.

Anyways, there are special extrication knives (tools) made specifically for seat belt and other materials that are extremely difficult to cut like climbing harnesses. MEC sells them.

I think investing in one of those knives and having it in the vehcile will be worth it.

Scary stuff.
It's rare but it happens.

My dad cut a 2 year old boy loose when his belt somehow wrapped around his neck and he was getting purple in the face. For whatever reason, the belt had tightened and the safety lock had engaged. His mother was in full panic mode in the parking lot and screaming for help. Dad's knife was the quickest option available and he was able to free the young lad before anything real bad had happened.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Sobering indeed. I will be adding a few permanent tools to my vehicle and asking friends and family to do the same.

Good on everyone whose quick thinking helped others.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerby View Post
where i come from in Holland ,i've seen this so often ,very often people don't survive these type of accidents
Dutchies are crazy drivers anyway.
Bumper to bumper 100km + foggy or clear on single lane + trees along the side or deeeep ditches.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:42 PM

I bought a S&W M&P assisted opening knife with a window breaker built into the butt end of the handle, this tool is with me every waking hour.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM

I always keep a knife and a tool kit in every car but need to add a center punch for the window.

Came across this
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000FCRS0I

Anyone has experience with similar devices?.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Also a good reminder to keep some method of cutting the seatbelt available. This situation being one reason of many.
X2!!
This spring I pulled off the road to pick up a receiver adapter I spotted, and the big ol' F350 took a VERY hard list to port!!
it was on such an angle that I could not get the seatbelt undone, it locked up!!
Had I been in trouble, I would have cut it with the belt knife I keep in the door , but I decided to drive it further into the ditch until it levelled out- that was a bit dicey!!
Cat
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM

CRKT Exitool. Everyone should have one.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Carry a knife!!

My buddy and I were able to cut a seatbelt and extract a person from her starting to burn half/third of the car (literally, it broke into pieces) that had just flipped several times into a rather boulderly ditch along the main highway in NS, East of Windsor on the way back to Halifax - 37 years back ('77). She survived. First because of the seatbelt. Second because the guys in a car just behind them (we saw the whole thing unfold - not a good experience) had a good knife (the release mechanism on the belt was crushed and would not work) and stopped and cut, and dragged her out (maybe not the best medical practice?). That was not the reason I had that knife (my parents had bought it and given it to me), but...? My friend burned his hands a little bit in the operation - but ... if we had not had that knife in the cubby hole of my old Dodge ...? He received some sort of official "commendation" for his actions that day - but it was just happenstance that we were there at the time and had the knife. What are the chances that we would happen to see the accident? We had decided to go see an Acadia football game, because ...?, and to visit my brother, who was a student there at the time.
We never followed up, other than to check with the hospital on her survival (2 of the 4 occupants of that car were killed) but I hope she realizes, it she is still around, that she owes her continuing existence to one Mike Boland and the very good knife sitting in my cubbyhole.
So, one of the very good things to carry with you, wherever you go, is a strong and sharp knife(?).
Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
Anyone see Rick Mercer a couple weeks ago? He was with a fire rescue team from Manitoba I think. They where going through submerged car self rescue. If in this situation you have to wait for the car to be completely submerged before opening the doors.

Doodle
As a "good-to-know" FYI: just wanted to clarify your statement. If the car is totally submerged, you have to wait for the interior to also become filled as well (a very scary prospect indeed!) before you can open the doors. If your interior is somewhat air-tight, you will never be able to open the doors due to the pressure differential. And also, you may have issues with power door locks once the electrical system shorts out.

So...wait as the interior fills, releasing your seat belt as you do, get a big gulp of air at the last second and open the door. The hardest part: remaining calm enough to do this.

As for seat belt cutters and life-hammers, definitely a good thing to have. A few key points here...always cut the belt diagonally across the width of the belt. MUCH easier than trying to cut directly across. And if you don't have a life hammer, take your keys out of the ignition and push the pointy end into the lower corners of the side windows. Being made of tempered glass, the force applied at a specific point will cause them to shatter and then they can easily be kicked out. Trying to kick or punch the window without doing this is futile.

So as soon as your car hits the water, try to get the windows down before the circuit shorts out or use the life hammer/keys. Unclick or cut your belt, take a breath...and swim to safety.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
22 year old ended up in Abraham lake out here last Tuesday. the divers got him and his car out on Thursday, figured speed and alcohol were factors. People dove in to try and get him out, but he was too deep.....

should have to pay for his own recovery. NO sympathy for those douches,