Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM

Post Tricks vs Reapers

What's your opinions on 100gr slick trick magnums vs 100gr grim reaper razor tips for moose. Took a mule deer doe earlier in the month with a reaper and it worked awesome; blew right through, but I'm thinking that with the tougher body of a moose maybe a fixed head would be better? What do you guys think. I'm shooting a 65lb mission blaze
Old 09-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Reaper kills....look at the blood, nuff said.

LC
Old 09-21-2014, 10:54 PM

Grims work well, I shot a bear with 100 grain reapers and it went 7 yards. I'm trying slick trick magnums this year though.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 PM

ive shot a lot of heads out of my bow this year. most accurate were Montecs and Grim reaper Razor tips. Impact same as FP.. at 40 yards with a good gust if wind. the fixed planed hard. The reapers very little. Bought some Grims to test on various targets. The grim reapers opened on all fruit I tried. the Apple almost exploded

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-21-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 AM

I have no worries with grim reapers and big animals they work great! I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than an 1 3/8" for moose and elk personally.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 AM

3 of the 4 deer that my family arrowed were with slick tricks! I can't say enough about slicks, I'm sold on them. 1 deer was shot with ramcats. Really pumped on how well they worked I'm gunna try some next year. I've personally never tried grims
Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Reaper kills....look at the blood, nuff said.

LC
Damn Lefty!!!! Nice Elk. Was that this year?

45-70, I shoot 2 different mech's. 100gr Grim Reaper Razor cuts and 100gr Steelhead XL. Both are grouping with my FPs out to 50 yards (farther than I shoot at animals)... I've had great luck with both. The Steelheads are my go-to heads, but I always carry the GR as well. When I let a GR loose at a 4x4 big bodied Mule buck a couple of years ago, the shot was a little too far forward and the head exploded the offside front shoulder socket and stayed intact. I re-sharpened the blades and used it for the next Mule doe - still blew right through her.

When I scored on my 5x5 Bull Elk with my Steelheads, adrenaline go the best of me and I shot higher than I wanted to. The head blasted through the near side shoulder blade, took out both lungs and went through the offside shoulder blade and broke through the skin, but wasn't a complete pass through. Considering that the head went through 2 shoulder blades and stayed intact (granted, thinner sections of shoulder blade) that is why the Steelheads are my favorite.

While I've never shot the Slick Tricks, my buddy has shot them for the past couple of seasons and has had good luck with them, but has switched to the Grim Reapers for this year as well. I believe he's shooting the GR's to try them out, and was impressed with their accuracy.

I have stayed away from fix blades for reasons of personal protection; I'm not 100% sure I could handle those in the darkness without A) cutting myself or B) cutting strings on my bow. As well, the few fixed blade brands I have tried haven't matched up to the accuracy of my mechs out of the box. And I have spent some time trying to get everything "fixed blade tuned"....

Depending on your equipment (DL and DW), you should be able to push a GR through a Moose if placed right (<- this is the key).... What is your current setup?

J.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Cow was this year, bull was last year.

LC
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 AM

I have heard great things about Tricks but ive used the reapers mainly and have never had a issue so i'm not about to fix whats not broken. Beautiful elk ya got there LC and great proof that the reapers do what they are intended to do!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM

Just got some slick tricks myself, looking forward to how they do after reading this post.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Tricks vs Reapers

I use both. Reapers on deer, and Slick Tricks on bigger stuff. Both heads are excellent.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Default Tricks vs reapers

Thanks guys, I'll probably be using the tricks on this trip just to try something new and theyre already sighted in on my heavier arrows. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the reapers work with my new maxima Reds in the spring though. By the way that's a wicked elk, the reapers sure worked well for you there.