Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Banned

Default What's Everyone's Plan this Season?

Well, after 9 months of research, planning and preparation, I'm raring to start my first full season of Resident trapping. In zone 4 where I'll be trapping, muskrats open on October 1st and based on the advice that I got from the experienced Trappers that I talked to at the Trappers Rendezvous, all of my rat traps are going out the first day.....then it's on like Donkey Kong! My goal for this Fall is 500 rats and I should also be able to find some beaver to trap.

I plan on putting bait stations out for coyotes sometime towards the end of October and I'll give them a chance to get comfortable with getting a free meal. I'm figuring on putting snares up a couple of weeks after that. I'd like to get 100 this year but being my first year I'm not sure if that's too optimistic or not.

I have a couple of dozen weasel boxes to put out but I'm not really sure how soon is too soon to put them out. I'd like to target the juveniles asap in the season but are they ermine by mid-November?

Throughout the winter I plan on trapping muskrat huts and I'm sure that I'll find some time to put up a few squirrel poles as well.

Anyone else chomping at the bit to get going? What are your plans/goals?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 AM

My goal is to get 60 yotes and 10 coon 1 bobcat. When I go up north 10 martin. 3 badgers 100rats 5beaver 1 mink 5 weasels

The 60 yotes might be a bit lofty so I'd better work hard. I have 50 snares made soon to be another 50. I have to weld up some more snare steaks I only have six I need lots more. I can probably get 10 coon possibly alot more we are seeming to have coon issues around home. I am in zone 8 so I can legally trap a bobcat. There are rumors some are around but hard to see. 10 martin might be a bit lofty I only have 10 days to trap with currently 7 boxes made ( soon to be 12 ). I got 3 martin last year in 3 sets so we will see.
I should meet the badger total easy enough and spring rats well I got 110 last year so I think I can meet it. Beaver if I really work I can get 5 beaver + more easy but... chipping ice setting traps all for $10per priceless. I have seen the odd mink track along our river while fishing so what the heck. Another Taxidermy bill. We have weasels running around. I just need the new reg book to double check any of my allowances. Ensure I can legally harvest these. Quick question can i trap weasel in zone 8 along the reddeer? So I am again patiently waiting on the government to put out the regs.
I plan on taking more pics and posting the this year.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun year.

Last edited by bill9044; 09-19-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Goals

1500 Muskrats
75 Coyotes
100 Beavers
10 Mink
6 Fisher
2 Lynx
3 Wolves
6 Marten
20 Weasels
100 Squirrel
6 Fox
10 Otter
1 Badger
Yep that's the plan! I hope to exceed a few of those numbers as well. Fur shed is going to be busy.

Spruce
Old 09-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Not really sure what to make for goals this year. Last year was 509 rats but I think I will cut bad and hope for 300.
Still have 100 coyotes on my mind but I am also gone for a couple weeks the start of november during prime time. Not sure how many boxes I will get out for Marten on my line and I am not really sure what the populations are there. Hope for 40 marten, 5 fisher and 4 lynx and try to figure out the wolves a bit so I can hit them hard next year and hope to get a couple this year.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
We have weasels running around. I just need the new reg book to double check any of my allowances. Ensure I can legally harvest these. Quick question can i trap weasel in zone 8 along the reddeer?
*EDIT* Admin posted a link to the new regs and it appears that the info that you are looking for hasn't changed from last year.

From 2013 regs:

N15-F14

NOTE - Weasel may not be harvested in that part of the province described as ranges 1 – 5, west of the 4th meridian, from the international boundary to the north boundary of township 63. This does not apply to Indian Reserves and Métis Settlements set aside under the Métis Settlements Act, which fall within the area described.

Last edited by HunterDave; 09-19-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM

I plan on scaling back a bit. Have a new baby girl at home so priorites have changed a bit. Will bait wolves and coyotes if snow levels are low. Then set for a little of everything. I will go easy on the marten. I will try to get my lynx quota.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Got a goal of 40 + coyotes , most will be called but trying to snare a few more than previous years.Thanx to all those who helped me pick out snares and offered advice thru PM's. 50 rats and a few damage control beaver that will be used to make a buddies kids happy on bear stand . Looking forward to a good year , bring on the snow .. lol .
Old 09-19-2014, 09:14 PM

My turn

Looking for 300 rats,30 coyote's,2 bobcat's,probably be a couple of fox in there as well,wish I had beaver's to go after,want pelts to tan and make some gauntlet's and some stretched hides with art work on them,friend of mine does art work so gonna put some stuff on some hides,also do some more bow quiver's using different hides as well,just bought an exotic hide for my next quiver,with winch almost complete and fur tumbler getting close and rat dryer in the works,Season starts on Oct1 here for yote's,but I believe I will hold off a bit,got 2 weeks off in November,look out then,my 243 is all dialed in as well,cheers Peter

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 09-19-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
1500 Muskrats
75 Coyotes
100 Beavers
10 Mink
6 Fisher
2 Lynx
3 Wolves
6 Marten
20 Weasels
100 Squirrel
6 Fox
10 Otter
1 Badger
Yep that's the plan! I hope to exceed a few of those numbers as well. Fur shed is going to be busy.

Spruce
holly camolly the spruce I'd love to have your job and bust my arse on that level only a dream in my world here in southern ab and like H380 says bring on the snow we are ready
Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 AM

What kind of numbers did you do last year Spruce? You seemed to get a pretty good haul there. I hope you hit your goals
Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Default Trapping Rats

I always trap them in hut when they are most prime in February & March. I don't know if it's worth it in the fall, of course you get numbers of them which is good but I don't know about a fall rat price . Depends on demand at the auction house . One fell I talked to at Halfords this spring said he won't trap them in the fall again .
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 PM

Default rats

Some shallow slough's need to be trapped in Fall do to high winter kill due to freezing out,it would be a waste to have them just die off and not be utilized,my rats where quite comparable in the fall too spring prices,and like I stated some area's will die off anyways,so put them to use,IMO Peter
Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
I always trap them in hut when they are most prime in February & March. I don't know if it's worth it in the fall, of course you get numbers of them which is good but I don't know about a fall rat price . Depends on demand at the auction house . One fell I talked to at Halfords this spring said he won't trap them in the fall again .
This was a big question for me going into this season. I'm fortunate to have had the chance to talk with several experienced Trappers about it at the Rendezvous. Like Peter mentioned, a lot of the rats will die off in the winter anyway so you just might as well target them before they do. I was told that you can expect to average about $2 less for Fall rats but the high numbers that you can put up more than makes up for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 PM

Smile Fall Rats

hunter Dave & Peter , I was at the rendezvous in Drayton & yes some fella's will take them in the fall , through the winter & the spring & others just like the spring time just preference I guess, but what you say about shallow swamps defiantly makes sense to take them before they freeze out . I have area's that have deeper water & some aren't as deep which I have trapped & did quite well in February but I'll do a little investigating to see what's around that has made it through the winter in those shallow one's. In all probability I'll get out to make some set's . Thanks' for the info .
Old 09-21-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
hunter Dave & Peter , I was at the rendezvous in Drayton & yes some fella's will take them in the fall , through the winter & the spring & others just like the spring time just preference I guess, but what you say about shallow swamps defiantly makes sense to take them before they freeze out . I have area's that have deeper water & some aren't as deep which I have trapped & did quite well in February but I'll do a little investigating to see what's around that has made it through the winter in those shallow one's. In all probability I'll get out to make some set's . Thanks' for the info .
I agree with you 100% the shallow sloughs that freeze over down here always have a young rat or 2 in them. So I go after them take the fur and rats are good bait. Down here the ice was almost off and the rats still had white skin. Then the season ended. So I like nabbing them in the spring. And down here they tend to emerge before the ice melts in the spring so I follow their tracks in the snow from one tuff of cat tails to another I throw down a 120 then bingo big rat.