Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Rage Hypodermic Breakage Issue?

Hey Guys,

I've had 3 Rage Hypo 100gr. break on me so far this year. All 3 of them broke on the actual ferrule just up from the threaded portion of it. Has anyone else had this problem? It hasn't cost me an animal or anything like that but at $20 each it would be super to get more that 1 shot out of them.

I'm using 5mm FMJs, I'm not sure if that has any effect on this.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Banned

I had one break on a shoulder of an elk and the arrow splintered so bad there was carbon everywhere inside the elk I will never put one on an arrow again
Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Madball, for myself I treat every broadhead as a consumable, 1 shot and replace for big game...save for small game or coyotes. I have some set aside for practice and ones I use while hunting are "used once".

I don't want to risk a bent ferrule or dull blade causing a poor shot or minimal penetration. I have a drawer full of 1 shot only broadheads at home.

That being said I would be concerned about the durability of the head if they are breaking in the same place.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-25-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Madball, for myself I treat every broadhead as a consumable, 1 shot and replace for big game...save for small game or coyotes. I have some set aside for practice and ines I use while hunting are "used once".

I don't want to risk a bent ferrule or dull blade causing a poor shot or minimal penetration. I have a drawer full of 1 shot only broadheads at home.

That being said I would be concerned about the durability of the head if they are breaking in the same place.

LC

Yeah I've been doing the same, saving them for smaller game and practice. I'm now concerned that this breakage issue will cause a bad shot in the future. I think I'll look into a different option.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:11 PM

If you go Mechanical I have good luck with Grim Reaper Razor Tip. If you go
Fixed blade one head that has my interest is called "Tooth of the Arrow".

A buddy uses them and swears by them, we did a test at 60 and 87 yards comparing the flight and POI with the Grim Reaper this weekend. They were almost exactly the same on wind drift and POI. Both moved 8-10" with the wind at 87 yards, roughly 20-25km winds. This was just screwing them on the arrow and shooting out of a paper tuned bow.

LC
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Banned

I gave my razor tips away to friends I've been shooting the hades and man do they fly well can't wait to test them out
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
Hey Guys,

I've had 3 Rage Hypo 100gr. break on me so far this year. All 3 of them broke on the actual ferrule just up from the threaded portion of it. Has anyone else had this problem? It hasn't cost me an animal or anything like that but at $20 each it would be super to get more that 1 shot out of them.

I'm using 5mm FMJs, I'm not sure if that has any effect on this.
Breaking at that point is almost certainly caused by the head not being tight .
Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 AM

If it is a Hoyt, paper tuning will rarely produce good fixed broad head flight. You need to yoke tune while bare shaft tuning or yoke tune while broad head tuning. You will need a press to yoke tune that bow.