Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Rage

Ive been using 2 blade 100 grain Rage broad heads, like approximately 1,000,000 other hunters, and other than resetting the blades back in place, these things have never failed me. Incredible blood loss broadhead on moose and deer size animals.
I only use them once, they are like bullets to me. I also don't re-shoot carbon arrows that hit the ground in case of fractures.
I don't think many scapula shots on elk or moose will result in a fatal injury regardless of the broadhead. But hey, it's all good for sales!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
No breakage, but I've switched off Rages back to fixed for a few reasons:
-Penetration on elk. The expandables just don't seem to work well on elk ribs or even the very thin edge of the scapula. Bunch of issues with mine and friends. I know they do go through deer ribs well, but mostly bad results on elk unless somehow they slip exactly through the ribs. And you're done if they even touch the scapula...
-Always having to close the blades. I stalk or ambush hunt mostly, and they often catch on branches or whatever while on the string and open up. Nothing more frustrating than drawing and noticing one or more pieces is flapping sideways...
-If one opens up even a tad and you launch it without noticing then they fly very oddly...

Elk done for the season with a nice cow. Mmm, tastes great! Solid shots to everyone.
The Grim Reapers I use pound through elk ribs with ease. I have hammered ribs on entrance and exit and still passed through. Not all expandables have penetration issues, how ever hit heavy bone and they will likely stop. Also with the design they do not open prior to the shot nor on the shot.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-06-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
No breakage, but I've switched off Rages back to fixed for a few reasons:
-Penetration on elk. The expandables just don't seem to work well on elk ribs or even the very thin edge of the scapula. Bunch of issues with mine and friends. I know they do go through deer ribs well, but mostly bad results on elk unless somehow they slip exactly through the ribs. And you're done if they even touch the scapula...
-Always having to close the blades. I stalk or ambush hunt mostly, and they often catch on branches or whatever while on the string and open up. Nothing more frustrating than drawing and noticing one or more pieces is flapping sideways...
-If one opens up even a tad and you launch it without noticing then they fly very oddly...

Elk done for the season with a nice cow. Mmm, tastes great! Solid shots to everyone.
If I were to guess I would say you have been using the actual heads as practice? if so dont. weakened springs can cause premature opening. Only time I have ever seen this happen.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Grim Reapers I use pound through elk ribs with ease. I have hammered ribs on entrance and exit and still passed through. Not all expandables have penetration issues, how ever hit heavy bone and they will likely stop. Also with the design they do not open prior to the shot nor on the shot.

LC
They absolutely deploy on shot contact, this is why you get the 3" resulting gash on the entry side with the two blade Rages I use. Are they as good as a fixed chisel point on bone, no. But put the projectile on target and Rage broadheads lead to quick recoveries. At least that's been my experience.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
They absolutely deploy on shot contact, this is why you get the 3" resulting gash on the entry side with the two blade Rages I use. Are they as good as a fixed chisel point on bone, no. But put the projectile on target and Rage broadheads lead to quick recoveries. At least that's been my experience.
My comment wasn't clear, I haven't had grims open on their own nor coming out of my bow BEFORE contact.

LC
Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 AM

Default Ah

Ah I got ya, on re-reading It makes sense now.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 AM

Shoot a tried and true mechanical broadhead. NAP Spitfire or Grim Reaper. Both fly so good and so under rated on all big game hunting.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:45 AM

Reusing the shock collar?

Aligning the blades with the slot on the collars?

I don't shoot that particular rage head, shoot the 2 blade, the Trypan and the crossbow 125 with excellent performance so far. Recoveries have been 60-150 meters, large gaping wounds of more than 3". Have cut through ribs on elk and deer with ease, shooting a 60lb bow with heavy FMJ's.

The leverage to snap that ferrule would have to be substantial, a huge wobble that could only be achieved by blades opening after shooting or a bow so poorly tuned it wouldn't hit the target. That and a very solid target. JMHO

I shoot practice blades and reserve the broadheads for actual hunting scenarios.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I just posted this on Lefty's bad shot thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Recovered the arrow, the insert was bent to almost a 45 and the base of the broadhead snapped off...I put my finger in the entrance and yup broad head lodged into the scapula. I will try to debone with it in place and take some pictures.

Elk/Moose Shoulder blades are hard bone...especially if you hit the thick part. It was simply a poor shot but a good reminder to make sure everything is set correct and you can see before you release. Thankfully he stopped for me to make a followup.

LC
Thanks for the update Lefty. I was asking because my brother just recently had a shot on a big bull and put the arrow into the shoulder. Post shot he found the arrow and noticed the rage broadhead snapped off in the insert and the insert had pressed back into the arrow about 3/16 inch. I found it odd that the broadhead snapped of even on such a straight broadside shot.
Edit/Delete Message
Like this? Found this in the shoulder of my moose this year. I shoot G5 Strikers.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Default Make

Is that a Hypodermic? I've not seen Rages in that gold annodized finish before, nor have I seen a Rage break off at that juncture before.
Thanks for posting.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Is that a Hypodermic? I've not seen Rages in that gold annodized finish before, nor have I seen a Rage break off at that juncture before.
Thanks for posting.
Did a little more digging. It looks like it's a Rage SS not a hypodermic.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson13 View Post
this is how you fix your issue with any broadhead... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQnc1axz9U
Interesting vid and website, thanks for posting Carson13.