Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well went and fondled quite a few 9mm this weekend. Decided to go with a CZ Shadow 2, black with blue grips. It’s a little more than what I wanted to spend but after feeling the trigger and the feel of these I think it should be pretty good.

Next question what is the best 9mm ammo or is it like buying for anything else and buy a bunch and seeing what works.

I would imagine there is probably a progressive press in my future.
Good choice. I liked mine so much I bought another one....

I don't think you will find much that it doesn't like, I didn't find anything. I have 10,000 down the pipe of my first one and I can count the number of stoppages on one hand. I went 3,000 rounds without cleaning and never had an issue.

I ran a couple thousand Rem UMC through mine when I first got it with no issues.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/77769...riantId=226219

Enjoy!

Last edited by darren32; 03-12-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Well went and fondled quite a few 9mm this weekend. Decided to go with a CZ Shadow 2, black with blue grips. It’s a little more than what I wanted to spend but after feeling the trigger and the feel of these I think it should be pretty good.

Next question what is the best 9mm ammo or is it like buying for anything else and buy a bunch and seeing what works.

I would imagine there is probably a progressive press in my future.
It's a CZ, it'll shoot anything well. Although, my 75B likes the 124 gr better than the 147 or 115. My SP-01 likes the 147 gr better.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 AM

You may want to check which frame style your new shadow 2 has.

In the first picture, the left is the older frame style.
The newer frame style on the right has some material removed just above the hole that the slide lock pin goes thru.

If you have the older style you may want to keep an eye out for cracks where the material is removed on the newer style frames.

I do not know how much of an issue this is but apparently, some people are getting cracks in that area.

I have one of each and my older style frame has 10,000 rounds and no signs of cracking.

From what I can tell by google research, most of the cracking is on fairly high round count guns, 60,000 ish. However, it is the internet and their is someone out there that says he has seen it at very low round count on multiple guns.

FWIW, I am going to continue to use the old frame and simply keep an eye out for cracking.

The internet says that CZ will warranty cracked frames, I have no way to confirm.

The picture below is not mine, I got it from the internet, but it shows a broken shadow 2 so I am posting it.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM

There are a few retailers selling cases of 1000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 124 gr 9mm for $249.... that's a pretty good price, and this ammo shoots well in my CZ.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
You may want to check which frame style your new shadow 2 has.

In the first picture, the left is the older frame style.
The newer frame style on the right has some material removed just above the hole that the slide lock pin goes thru.

If you have the older style you may want to keep an eye out for cracks where the material is removed on the newer style frames.

I do not know how much of an issue this is but apparently, some people are getting cracks in that area.

I have one of each and my older style frame has 10,000 rounds and no signs of cracking.

From what I can tell by google research, most of the cracking is on fairly high round count guns, 60,000 ish. However, it is the internet and their is someone out there that says he has seen it at very low round count on multiple guns.

FWIW, I am going to continue to use the old frame and simply keep an eye out for cracking.

The internet says that CZ will warranty cracked frames, I have no way to confirm.

The picture below is not mine, I got it from the internet, but it shows a broken shadow 2 so I am posting it.

Thanks
Darren do you know if this is where they typically crack?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Darren do you know if this is where they typically crack?
As far as I can tell, in the picture below, where I drew the red line is the only place they have cracked. If the gun is pointed away from you it is the right hand side, just above the slide stop pin.

From the internet broken gun pic I posted above it appears that this crack COULD lead to that little piece breaking right off.

I have been doing a bunch of online research today and it appears to me that the cracking is very rare. Some old style frame guns out there with 100,000 rounds and no issues. If you have the older style frame I would not worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

It only came up for me because I took both guns apart and noticed the difference in the frames and tried to figure out why.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Ammo

Sellier and bellot 124 is awesome for my guns.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:12 PM

been very happy with my 9mm beretta 92