Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Moving towards Lead Free Ammo

And just when you thought the government was only after your guns. Looks like they have an agenda for ammo too. Got this today. The first link takes you to a web page with a link to the study and an executive summary.

triggerpress

Dear Sir/ Madam:

Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) would like your feedback on the recently published report on lead ammunition uses and releases in Canada. This report is available here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...mmunition.html.

This study, along with feedback received, will inform the development of an approach for encouraging lead-free ammunition in Canada. We welcome you to be part of this and future conversations on this subject. The easiest way to engage is by sending us your comments by email to ec.produits-products.ec@canada.ca by June 1, 2018.

Please note that a similar study was also conducted for lead sinkers and jigs, and we welcome your comments on this report as well. The report is available here: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...ng-tackle.html.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone that may be interested.

Products Division
Environment and Climate Change Canada
351 Saint-Joseph Boulevard, 9th Floor
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Phone number: 819-938-4483 / 1-888-391-3426 (information)
Fax number: 819-938-4480 / 1-888-391-3695
Email address: ec.produits-products.ec.@canada.ca
Old 04-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Banned

All part of the continued effort to get rid of guns, hunting and those of us who love it.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
All part of the continued effort to get rid of guns, hunting and those of us who love it.
Are you saying the government has a confiscation agenda ?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Are you saying the government has a confiscation agenda ?
With a capital C.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM

As all of the component companies such as barnes, nosler and hornady seem to be on board, what is the problem?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM

I can get by just fine without lead for big game hunting, but it will be a major pain going without lead for the 22lr, and shotgunning for upland birds, especially with the small gauges. As well, it will not be easy replacing the lead target loads for the clays games, especially with the small gauges. Skeet is tough enough with a 410 using lead shot.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
As all of the component companies such as barnes, nosler and hornady seem to be on board, what is the problem?
Probably just one more thing to discourage hunting and shooting. A lot of people have gone away from lead in the few years by choice. I have made the change over, so it is not that hard. LOL
Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can get by just fine without lead for big game hunting, but it will be a major pain going without lead for the 22lr, and shotgunning for upland birds, especially with the small gauges. As well, it will not be easy replacing the lead target loads for the clays games, especially with the small gauges. Skeet is tough enough with a 410 using lead shot.
^^^^^ THIS. In addition the added cost of lead free bullets/shot may make some shooting activities cost prohibative for some.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Sure hope this doesn't happen, I have two pallets of lead targets rounds for trap...
Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 PM

I wouldn’t be too impressed to see this happen. This past hunting season was my first (and last) using a barnes ttsx bullet and was severely disapointed in the results. The bullet failed to expand at all. The tip broke off and the bullet penciled through to the opposite shoulder. This was from my 257 weatherby and was smoking along at just over 3550fps.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Default Winchester to make non-lead rimfire ammunition for use in California condor areas

The first thing I thought of was 22 rimfire sounds like Winchester has started the ball rolling.
I never thought about the animals ingesting lead by eating the zillion dead gophers left by hunters. This could be bad for Canadians if we ban it and the US doesn't or unless somebody starts making nonlead rimfire in Canada and I would assume it would cost 5 X normal price.

Brad Criner, Winchester’s rimfire product manager, said the three new loads -- one for the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) and two for the .22 Long Rifle (LR) -- use a patented tin bullet technology to make them non-lead.

https://www.wonews.com/t-EquipmentRe...mo-030909.aspx
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 AM

Default That is strange results indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
I wouldn’t be too impressed to see this happen. This past hunting season was my first (and last) using a barnes ttsx bullet and was severely disapointed in the results. The bullet failed to expand at all. The tip broke off and the bullet penciled through to the opposite shoulder. This was from my 257 weatherby and was smoking along at just over 3550fps.
I would lose confidence in a bullet if I had results like that.
Fortunately I have not had a TTSX fail me yet killed quite a few animals with them both with my 30-06 at roughly 2950 FPS and 243 at 3150 FPS.
Have you tryed the hornady GMX? It might perform better for you.
Good luck.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:25 AM

Default They mentioned ranges also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Once again just st because it doesn’t affect you you are willing to sell everyone else out.
A lot of people like to shoot steel at the range and go through more ammo which is expensive enough. If this comes to pass that will be gone and it will be people like you that made it possible.
Maybe you should start thinking about others that enjoy shooting as sport.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:03 AM

Just another effort to make it tougher on hunters and shooters. This is a total ploy to discourage us. More of the Suzuki sky is falling environmental climate change hoax
Old 04-07-2018, 07:27 AM

They want to take your fish hooks too. Good grief.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
They want to take your fish hooks too. Good grief.
They are after the few fish hooks lost in our lakes and rivers, yet they allow Victoria to go on dumping raw sewage into the ocean every day . Obviously, this isn't about the environment.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They are after the few fish hooks lost in our lakes and rivers, yet they allow Victoria to go on dumping raw sewage into the ocean every day . Obviously, this isn't about the environment.
Bingo
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Default meanwhile ignore this...........

https://www.globalresearch.ca/fukush...adiation/28870
Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM

More government B.S.? I’m shocked beyond words.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The first thing I thought of was 22 rimfire sounds like Winchester has started the ball rolling.
I never thought about the animals ingesting lead by eating the zillion dead gophers left by hunters.

https://www.wonews.com/t-EquipmentRe...mo-030909.aspx
If you're leaving much lead behind in gophers, you're doing something wrong. The hollow point long rifle ammo I use leaves great big exit holes most of the time
Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 AM

I am ok with lead removal.As long as the way to end I,t is to have the manufactures just stop making I,t and what is out there is what is left. Not make the consumer a criminal for using what he has.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Beware, there is radium seeping into your basement, as well as gamma ray radiation penetrating your body every instant of your life.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
I am ok with lead removal.As long as the way to end I,t is to have the manufactures just stop making I,t and what is out there is what is left. Not make the consumer a criminal for using what he has.
And given that Canada is a very small part of the world market, the manufacturers are not going to stop producing lead projectiles. There will be no affordable replacement just because our governments ban lead.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I would lose confidence in a bullet if I had results like that.
Fortunately I have not had a TTSX fail me yet killed quite a few animals with them both with my 30-06 at roughly 2950 FPS and 243 at 3150 FPS.
Have you tryed the hornady GMX? It might perform better for you.
Good luck.
Ya a lot of people have great results with it, that’s why I tried it. After the failure I did some more digging, seems like there’s a few people that have had trouble with the .25 cal bullets. No I haven’t tried the gmx, I went back to accubonds.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Once again just st because it doesn’t affect you you are willing to sell everyone else out.
A lot of people like to shoot steel at the range and go through more ammo which is expensive enough. If this comes to pass that will be gone and it will be people like you that made it possible.
Maybe you should start thinking about others that enjoy shooting as sport.
Just sick and tired of the chicken little sky is falling and it is a plot against us crowd. I will shoot what lead I have and when and if the sky falls I will adapt and not join in constantly complaining.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Didn’t that same lead come out of the earth in the first place?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yep Lead does come out of the earth and so does oil and a whole bunch other stuff. I would not want oil to contaminate land or water as well.

I have spread my share of lead over the earth, but that does not mean it is harmless. I have been to clay clubs where the lead shot was mined . It is no insignificant amount. A simple round of trap with a 12 gauge will deposit roughly between 25 and 28 oz. of lead per shooter. No problem taking lead out of paint and gasoline. Paint still covers stuff and cars still run.

The switch from lead to non toxic shot for water birds has proven that there is life without the use of lead.

I am not thrilled at the thought of going leadless but I am also not opposed to every single thing that may prevent our world from being more toxic. The loss of lead as a projectile does effect me as well but I will not look at this issue as simply an agenda to do some back door gun control.

I think that we should all be better stewards of the earth and as shooters and hunters we should not always throw out a blanket opposition to everything.

Flame away!!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 AM

Default imagine all

The .22's and classic non-screw in choke upland shotguns turned into re-bar because of this new law.Oh wait that's what they want.Stock up on lead now to you have some JIC the stupid goes through.Perhaps they should allow lead on snow geese to thin them out.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Be careful, you’re making too much sense.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 AM

And think about how many people cast their own, not just because of cost. Some shooting disciplines require cast bullets, and there are a decent number of cartridges that can only be used with cast bullets, as there is nothing else available for that cartridge. That will affect a lot of people, think of the number of old guns around, that there is nothing else for them available on the market.