Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Default Hasse lake dead

I heard Hasse lake winterkilled, but I heard of people fishing there. Is there an official word on it. Are there a few perch left? I loved going there for the day and catching a hand full of tiny ones.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Stopped by yesterday morning around 9:30AM. Not a person there. Haven't heard anything further about winterkill, but didn't look good..
Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 AM

I fished there a month back. It sucked. Their twelve million seagulls there and they chase you and poop on you if your in a boat. My wife and I got bombed. She was on shore and I was in my boat. No ones hardly fishing there anymore, and I dunno why?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I fished there a month back. It sucked. Their twelve million seagulls there and they chase you and poop on you if your in a boat. My wife and I got bombed. She was on shore and I was in my boat. No ones hardly fishing there anymore, and I dunno why?
Went there Saturday noon, only 3 groups fishing, no one caught anything. Headed to Star instead
Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM

someone should do something about that lake rather then leave it just sitting there, with no fish in it and thousands of gulls on that lake the lake is going to turn swampy fast, soon it wont be safe for anything, something should be done. At least nake it a pike walleye lake with suckers to clean up the bottom.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
someone should do something about that lake rather then leave it just sitting there, with no fish in it and thousands of gulls on that lake the lake is going to turn swampy fast, soon it wont be safe for anything, something should be done. At least nake it a pike walleye lake with suckers to clean up the bottom.
i would imagine that would be way to expensive for a lake that winter kills.......better off using trout from one of the bagillion trout farms we have in this province.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i would imagine that would be way to expensive for a lake that winter kills.......better off using trout from one of the bagillion trout farms we have in this province.
lets hope they will stock it next year. There were still people on the boats though, dunno if they caught anything
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM

theres nothing in there except an over grown pike that eats birds and is turning into hasse the alberta lake monster, stop stocking this lake, clean it up first, it is a lake not a swamp, dont know why alberta doesnt take pride into its lakes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
theres nothing in there except an over grown pike that eats birds and is turning into hasse the alberta lake monster, stop stocking this lake, clean it up first, it is a lake not a swamp, dont know why alberta doesnt take pride into its lakes
SRD has gotten its budget slashed a lot lately, just not near enough money to keep stocking/fully kill/clean up a lake that will be ruined by bucket bios again.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
SRD has gotten its budget slashed a lot lately, just not near enough money to keep stocking/fully kill/clean up a lake that will be ruined by bucket bios again.
lol
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
lol that would be awsome have a pike with a lake to himself full of little trout snacks.Wonder how big he could get in there
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM

its a shame about this lake. Used to be a great little lake to take the kids fishing. Nice and close to town. Really hope something is done with this lake
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Im betting a few perch survived. In 3-5 this will be a great perch lake again with people pulling out 10-13 inchers. Then it will stunt again.

This lake did winter kill. I was there in May with my ice fishing camera. i caught nothing and saw nothing.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb42 View Post
its a shame about this lake. Used to be a great little lake to take the kids fishing. Nice and close to town. Really hope something is done with this lake
Grew up on this lake every sunday /w my dad and bro, quite sad.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Aparently SRD will not stock that lake for the time being

"As of May 2010, Hasse Lake will no longer be stocked Thanks to some bucket biologist (sarcasm here) who decided to introduce Pike into the lake ASRD has decided to stop stocking the lake with rainbows until such time they can fix the problem. Dont hold your breath as poisoning the lake is not in their budget in the foreseeable future"
http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Got a chance to personally satisfy my curiosity on the question today and I would say it's dead. Like a door-nail. Well at least from the dock but we have always caught loads of little perch there. Today there were zero bites and we had their favorite food. We also put the camera down and nothing on it either except for a stick or pipe. Nada. So if there are perch left in there they did not appear where they always have been before. But the seagulls are doing well on their now smaller island.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM

Wink

Well there is going to be one huge pike caught soon by someone. It must be filling up everyday cause right before the lake unthawed I was out beside the island and seen perch but kept seeing the same pike keep coming by to see what I had to offer. The first time I put my 1" jig down for the perch he nearly immediately nailed it. I knew that it was no perch or possible trout that just spooled my line. 5 minutes later after revaluing hook he was there again. About a 5 lb pike at the least. Anyway unless he died or hasnt been caught he is still there and probably getting big.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Where are all the "quality" trout guys????? If SRD isn't doing anything with it why not take it over...........unless it's a bucket bio hotspot?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
...........unless it's a bucket bio hotspot?
History on bucket biology for Hasse lake.

Illegally introduced Perch
Illegally introduced three spine stickle back
Illegally introduced Pike

Bucket bio hotspot? Yup.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

What is done differently at your favorite lake to stop it from happening..........education?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What is done differently at your favorite lake to stop it from happening..........education?
Just a better chance at getting caught. For the most part, the folks that fish Muir care deeply for the fishery and have RAP on speed dial. That number is called often for anything suspicious (ie: still fishing, sitting on shore in a lawn chair, carrying a bucket to the water, etc...). Muir is a fairly small fishery and not hard to notice things that look out of place. There are three fishing clubs that put a lot of volunteer time to get the lake going and they fish it often which also helps. That's about all we can do.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Combination of millions of stunted perch and zillions of stunted perch. The best thing to wish for up north is a total winterkill. With the perch totally gone...put aeration in that lake and you could choose between a tiddler trout lake, quality trout lake trophy trout lake.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
No ones hardly fishing there anymore, and I dunno why?
I would say no one is fishing there because it's devoid of fish life forms. The fact that no one fishes there is another proof there is nothing in the lake. Even if the stunted perch were the only thing in there some people would still try to catch them. This is likely the perfect chance for SRD to restock with trout and make it a trout lake. BUT the question is how long would it stay a trout lake? Seems like so many of these little trout lakes are victim of the illegal perch stockers and it might just happen again soon. Or if just a handful of perch did survive they will reproduce and start the stunting cycle over again. Either way if perch show up in the future we will never know it they were survivors or new transplants. I have to wonder if SRD is just tired of even trying to stock these lakes?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM

U can,t say nobody fishes there anymore, I went last week to prove to myself that it's dead, and the dock was full of people fishing
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
U can,t say nobody fishes there anymore, I went last week to prove to myself that it's dead, and the dock was full of people fishing
They wernt fishing. just practicing casting.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Lol, no they were using pickerel rigs