Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Question 16" Perch?

Anybody ever see a 16" perch? Saw one from a local lake today and wouldn't have believed it otherwise. My best is 13.5". Should have had this pig weighed!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 AM
TundraBuck

Only 16 inch perch I have seen come out of Buck Lake, that's all I'm saying.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Ive seen a couple...both around two pounds....many 14-15 inchers as well
Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 AM

Caught several in the 15" range and one 16" when I was a kid in Ontario.................Never kept any under a foot back then..............Harold
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Shrubs

Only perch I've ever seen being close to that big was floating dead at the 3 mile bend pond in Red Deer.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Question 16 inch perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl View Post
Anybody ever see a 16" perch? Saw one from a local lake today and wouldn't have believed it otherwise. My best is 13.5". Should have had this pig weighed!
i believe the alberta record is 2.9 lbs. length i don't know. if anyone has more info , would be appreciated . anyhooo a 16" would be a beaut.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 PM

Use to catch big perch when i was a kid at lesser slave lake at the bridge at Grouard when thier was water their....my dad used the boat and i was to young and i had to fish from the bridge...man i caught some nice perch.........then the water dropped and the perch moved to other spots they r still thier my cousin has pictures catching them threw the ice which would blow u away
Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubs View Post
Only perch I've ever seen being close to that big was floating dead at the 3 mile bend pond in Red Deer.
Where is this pond?

How long ago did you see the fish?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Shrubs

If you take Riverside Drive in Red Deer heading north towards olymel you'll see the sign for 3 mile Bend. Turn in there and the pond is on the left and the river is on the right.

I don't even think I was driving when I saw that perch so heck,6 or 7 years ago? I used to go down there and fish the river and if I got bored I'd skip across the road and try for some little perch. Never caught anything big but one day I showed up and there was this hawg floating towards shore. Definately the biggest perch I've ever seen.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubs View Post
If you take Riverside Drive in Red Deer heading north towards olymel you'll see the sign for 3 mile Bend. Turn in there and the pond is on the left and the river is on the right.

I don't even think I was driving when I saw that perch so heck,6 or 7 years ago? I used to go down there and fish the river and if I got bored I'd skip across the road and try for some little perch. Never caught anything big but one day I showed up and there was this hawg floating towards shore. Definately the biggest perch I've ever seen.
May have to check that out this summer, if there's one there has gotta be more.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Use to catch big perch when i was a kid at lesser slave lake at the bridge at Grouard when thier was water their....my dad used the boat and i was to young and i had to fish from the bridge...man i caught some nice perch.........then the water dropped and the perch moved to other spots they r still thier my cousin has pictures catching them threw the ice which would blow u away
There still there - caught some real nice ones out of Hillards Bay in the summer and also down towards Driftpile in the winter.