Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 PM

Default In the market for a new reel or two, maybe a rod too

Haven't wet a fly in well over 10 years. Finally have a trip planned in September, and started digging for gear that I haven't seen since we moved to Alberta. Found my old trusty Sage VPS 590-2, not the highest value rod on the market nor the newest technology but I know it well, and it knows me, lol. However, can't seem to find my old reel (Lamson LP2) and spare spool. Liked the reel, but wasn't in love with it, and it was only a matter of time before the drag started giving me issues from what I've read on them.

So, dang the luck, I find myself in the market for a new 5/6 weight fly reel . Looking for quality, but can't really justify going to the price point of a Hatch, etc... Am looking very closely at the Islander IR4 large arbor. I tend to palm my reels anyways, so the click pawl doesn't scare me, and I can get into a new reel and a spare spool for less than a Hatch 5+ with just the one spool. Never owned an Islander but have yet to hear anything really bad about them. Fishin' Hole has them at a decent price, might be tempted to pick up 2 actually, as well as a secondary rod. Not going too crazy on the rod, it'll be used mostly for trolling so am thinking a Fenwick Aetos or the Douglas DHF.

Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM

After trying out a number of different brands ( Lamson, Okuma, Redington, Sage) in the mid to low end ( nothing more than $200) I purchased a used Greys G-tech 350 and spare spool from a forum member.

It has been well used ( 80-100 outings) over the past couple of years and has been very reliable. Large arbor, lightweight, good drag, precise drag adjustment, easy to change the spare spool, very quiet and stood up to a fair bit of abuse.

I'd buy another Greys reel without hesitating when this one gives up the ghost but would guess there are lots of other brands that are just as good when you start getting into the $300-400 price range.

I've heard good things about newer Lamson and Loop reels.

Happy shopping!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Couldn’t pass up the sale at The Fishin’ Hole. Order both an Islander IR4 AND an Islander LX 3.4, both with spare spools and both large arbour. They only had gold, so will have to have a look at them as that normally wouldn’t be my first choice.

Then I went and found a good deal on a new Lamson Litespeed that I couldn’t pass up, so ordered that as well. I’d better get rod shopping now before my wife finds out .