Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Year end ice fishing derby

Im done scouting with the fishfinder and Im looking forward to a good hard water season. While putting the boat away for the season I was thinking we should start a year end fishing derby with a prize for the biggest pike. Of course you would have to show pics of the fish with measurements and the weight on a scale. We could come up with the prize and cost then all chip in and it would be rewarded come the end of the season. It sounds like fun to me and gives a few extra excuses to get out for the wife. If anyone is interested in such a derby post back we all need to come up with a prize (not to out of hand like a car) I think it would be fun checking the board and seeing where the standings sit.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 PM

sounds like fun i'm in
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM

So kinda like an online derby then? So have a thread going with pics of the biggest pike and an update on the weights and lengths? Sounds like an Idea.

I'd be in for that as well......

as far as the prize that might be tricky to get everyone on board... bragging rights is usually the main prize...lol Either way I'd be in.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
So kinda like an online derby then? So have a thread going with pics of the biggest pike and an update on the weights and lengths? Sounds like an Idea.

I'd be in for that as well......

as far as the prize that might be tricky to get everyone on board... bragging rights is usually the main prize...lol Either way I'd be in.
that exactly right, the prize would be a little tough maby we could come up with a price range and pick a few options from wholesale and go from there rember this depends on what we are willing to pun in I say a $20 max per person, and who knows we may be looking at a gas auger or aquaview camera ect. It would be exciting
Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM

My spelling is bad right now im already getting excited
Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM
TundraBuck

I'm in. I think we should also make some sort of card like IceShanty so that you know people aren't using fake pictures. I'll make one in Photoshop at the office if I get bored, lol.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
I'm in. I think we should also make some sort of card like IceShanty so that you know people aren't using fake pictures. I'll make one in Photoshop at the office if I get bored, lol.
Great idea Tundra, we have to keep things honest.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM

yeah the card idea i was thinking about as well.....makes it easier.

How ever as for the cash thing what should be done is you only get a card if you have paid into the contest.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM

I might be in.. depends on how my free time looks in the winter..

another idea is to only allow photos with a newspaper showing the date in the picture. Have the fish against the paper.. so we know the date it was caught and we can compare it to the news paper for size
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Why not get a gift card instead of trying to pick items or specifying items within a particular price range. Just take all the buy in money and load'er up. Lets a person have the freedom to pick and choose between lots of small stuff or a few large things. Just an idea.
Oh and I would be in for that.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Why not get a gift card instead of trying to pick items or specifying items within a particular price range. Just take all the buy in money and load'er up. Lets a person have the freedom to pick and choose between lots of small stuff or a few large things. Just an idea.
Oh and I would be in for that.
that sounds fair, if anyone wants in it has to be before the end of oct. The end of the derby will be the end of feb $15 buy in pm me and Ill collect the money, At the end of october Ill post a list of everyone involved and put the funds on a wholesale sports gift card. You can fully trust me Ill be giving my address to send the funds to and the last thingI need is a bunch of ****ed fisherman kicking down the door. Good luck boys and I hope we get lots of
entries.
Someone will score some major bragging rights
Old 10-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Can I have a payment extension.....I'm going to Shilo, Manitoba tomorrow and not coming back until the 31st of, go figure, Oct.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Can I have a payment extension.....I'm going to Shilo, Manitoba tomorrow and not coming back until the 31st of, go figure, Oct.
that should be ok Ill enter you on the list and cover your payment, that makes four and its only been 45min
Im also going to have a trophy made this in no way will involve funds entered in the derby this will be my treat. I hope we can have this every year
Old 10-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks fluxcore, money will be sent as soon as I get back.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Could something be done to drop off money in edmonton? Perhaps a AO member! just a suggestion.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Could something be done to drop off money in edmonton? Perhaps a AO member! just a suggestion.
Im actually located in Red Deer, I was planning on picking up the gift card at the Calgary WSS. PM me for details, there is plenty of time to through your entry in the mail
Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Just a heads up you need a scale and this is just the excuse to get out and buy one the pic should give measurements and a local paper with the date visiable. If someone comes out with measurements and a pic that just dosent add up we can vote and reward it to the second place entry. Rember this is a deterrent to cheating. I highly doubt this will happen but we wont stand for it if it does
Good luck boys/gals
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Just a heads up you need a scale and this is just the excuse to get out and buy one the pic should give measurements and a local paper with the date visiable. If someone comes out with measurements and a pic that just dosent add up we can vote and reward it to the second place entry. Rember this is a deterrent to cheating. I highly doubt this will happen but we wont stand for it if it does
Good luck boys/gals
Not to rain on your party you better look at the regulation before getting all hyped up. as I was planning on holding a charity tiournament , The proper planning and such im looking at least 2 years.Hope you look into it. Im not trying to knock your dream but its alot more work and so on then you realise. Great Idea though.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 AM

Count me in.

Hey BBJ I don't think this would actually qualify as a tournament, just a friendly compettion between a few fisherman.
But might have to do a little investigating first to find out for sure.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 AM

Yeah that s right I was looking at hosting a tourney and donate the money to Kids With Cancer and I remember there being a real pain in the arse.

I wonder if this would fall under the same circumstances.
?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 AM

In my experence anything with group of peoplle meauserment of fish , by klength weight , etc and prizes would be considered a tournament , or derby.

Just make sure you check , heafty fines if you get caught .
Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 AM

All this would be is friends chipping in for a gift card, and giving it to a lucky fisherman at the end of the season
good luck everyone

PS its not much work and perfectly legal, its classed the same way as a hocky pool
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Im in...

the paper idea is probally the most honest way or working it...

let me know the damage and how things are going to shake out.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default Tournament regs

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fi...mpetitive.aspx
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Thanx for the info we have to keep the number of entrees to 25, keep the PMs comming you dont want to get left out
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Looks good boys, lots of entrees. Here is how it will go the compition is for the longest pike and will go from the first ice to the end of feb. to enter you need to pay the $15 by end of oct at which time the money will be placed on a WSS gift card. A list will be posted of everyone involved along with a pic of the card. when the ice comes the fun and bragging rights begin, first you need to catch a pike and get a pic with a tape, the measurement will be from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail. Ill keep the standings posted, also Im going to have a trophy made for the winner this in no way will involve funds entered this will be my treat. I hope we can do this every year. A max 0f 25 people. 25 at $15 = $375 Whole sale sports gift card
PM me for mailing payment details
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default lol

I would just go by the measurement. Scales are just to accurate esscapally mechaincal ones.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
I would just go by the measurement. Scales are just to accurate esscapally mechaincal ones.
thats what were going to do, the measurment will be from the tip of the mouth to the end of the tail.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
I informed him of these and nasty trick like rocks down the throat which ive seen tournament folk do .Theres all sorts length is the best as measure from the tip of the mouth to a pinched tail and your set .
Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 PM

thank for giving it away john now how am i supposed to win with my 12inch 40 pound pike..