Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 01:02 PM

Default What do it cost to replace a 40 gallon hot water tank?

Im asking just to see what every one else is paying to have an ordinary 40 gallon hot water tank replaced,i just had rheem put in my basement,boiler cost $1100,and the install cost $1100 so just a bit over $2200..Is this normal? This a a gas fired heater.Thanks for any input..
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Im asking just to see what every one else is paying to have an ordinary 40 gallon hot water tank replaced,i just had rheem put in my basement,boiler cost $1100,and the install cost $1100 so just a bit over $2200..Is this normal? This a a gas fired heater.Thanks for any input..

Should have shopped around before hand, kinda too late now.

Smart alack replies aside; hot water tanks range greatly in price. Seen 40 gallon tanks from $600 to $5000, plus installation. The high priced ones are rapid recovery models, external power vented and designed to heat your house water as well as the in-floor heating. So tank price wise, it really depends on exactly what tank you got.

Your install sounds high, but hauling an old, heavily calcified tank means they weigh a lot and it is not easy work so that is a factor. That said, they are called Rheem for a reason.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:54 PM

$1100 to install is crazy high if he was just hooking up a heater like the old one.
Some of these guys like to make a simple installation as complicated as building a piano.
Oh what if your oven was turned on and all your stove top burners as well as your furnace and gas dryer at the same time? Not up to code better replace everything for more gas volume. Or your existing gas lines are not up to new code because they changed the code 4 years ago so you might as well replace a bunch of pipe. Even the pressure test only needs to be soapy water. I think your installer is in business to make as much money as they can. How long did it take him? Or does he just charge what he thinks the job is worth? I would learn to do stuff myself before I would mess with these guys
Old 04-28-2024, 01:56 PM

You mean like this one? $840 at HomeDepot.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rhe...ter/1000792348

As for that install cost... not sure what to say... was it a complicated job? Hard to get at? They had to drive 4 hours each way?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:00 PM

I've always changed out my own (don't live in a city or town). The basic ones used to cost just over 400, now more like 8 to 900. Takes time to purchase one and bring it into the house, install it, haul the old one away, find the tools, put them away, pet the house dogs, etc., so I can see the 1100 labour cost for a "professional". Also for everyone else better get a gas water heater while you still can as they will be phased out soon along with gas cars, lol.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:09 PM

We just got a new one replaced about a month ago in Lloydminster on the SK side. It was 20yrs old so they had to do some retrofitting to get up to code. The first quote was almost $4k. We needed up finding a smaller plumber in town and it was $2150 installed and that was after calling 4-5 guys. They were around $3k
Old 04-28-2024, 02:13 PM

I paid $1350+gst. To have a 40 gallon gas hot water tank installed in Feb 2024. That included tank, install and disposal of old tank. Location was Wetaskiwin.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:14 PM

From Apr 4 of this year:

Edit: the tank itself is about $1K.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:53 PM

just wondering i had a furnace replaced and had to have a city inspector come and inspect it and put a tag on it
Do you have to have a hot water tank inspected if gas pipes were undone?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
$1100 to install is crazy high if he was just hooking up a heater like the old one.
Some of these guys like to make a simple installation as complicated as building a piano.
Oh what if your oven was turned on and all your stove top burners as well as your furnace and gas dryer at the same time? Not up to code better replace everything for more gas volume. Or your existing gas lines are not up to new code because they changed the code 4 years ago so you might as well replace a bunch of pipe. Even the pressure test only needs to be soapy water. I think your installer is in business to make as much money as they can. How long did it take him? Or does he just charge what he thinks the job is worth? I would learn to do stuff myself before I would mess with these guys
People work hard to get a ticket. Companies are responsible to comply to code.

If you don't have enough volume to run every gas appliance in your house than you are contrary to code. The gas fitter and his company can not legally install your water tank.

Do you think people should break the law and risk their business because your home is not up to code?
Old 04-28-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Your description is very vague, can't give you a price from that.
If you already agreed to the work, what's the problem?
If you find out you under paid, are you going to give your plumber some extra?
Old 04-28-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I think your installer is in business to make as much money as they can.
Great deduction, Sherlock Holmes.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:28 PM

I paid just over $2200 last fall, for a tank and blower unit, replacement, and they installed an aluminum catch tray and drain line.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-28-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:39 PM

Big thing for us isn't our rate, it's the same as everybody else, it's how far we had to travel to site and if we had to wait once we go there.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
People work hard to get a ticket. Companies are responsible to comply to code.

If you don't have enough volume to run every gas appliance in your house than you are contrary to code. The gas fitter and his company can not legally install your water tank.

Do you think people should break the law and risk their business because your home is not up to code?
My understanding is Rachael Notley government in that one term changed all the cvodes and had plans for even more sillyness if she had a second term. Example rural water.
The new codes are out of this world and go way to far. This is one of the reasons building costs are so high. Plus the biggest problem is the skill level or desire of the builder to do quality work and an inspector normally can't see a lot if he is just looking at and passing a finished project.
Code also changes depending on where you are in Alberta. What is code in Lethbridge is different in MD. What is safe for a mobile is unsafe for a house. Example flex house from house to meter.
If something was safe before Rachael Notley its just as safe as now.
Another thing is a pro gas fitter has all the tools to cut and thread pipe with him in his truck. He isn't buying pre threaded lengths of pipe and making it fit or running to town for fittings. His cost and time should be way faster than a farmer.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Great deduction, Sherlock Holmes.
I was trying to be nice. What do you think a reasonable hourly rate is for as gas fitter with a mini van or truck with tools is?
Its not not like millions invested in equipment.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
My understanding is Rachael Notley government in that one term changed all the cvodes and had plans for even more sillyness if she had a second term. Example rural water.
The new codes are out of this world and go way to far. This is one of the reasons building costs are so high. Plus the biggest problem is the skill level or desire of the builder to do quality work and an inspector normally can't see a lot if he is just looking at and passing a finished project.
Code also changes depending on where you are in Alberta. What is code in Lethbridge is different in MD. What is safe for a mobile is unsafe for a house. Example flex house from house to meter.
If something was safe before Rachael Notley its just as safe as now.
Another thing is a pro gas fitter has all the tools to cut and thread pipe with him in his truck. He isn't buying pre threaded lengths of pipe and making it fit or running to town for fittings. His cost and time should be way faster than a farmer.
Let me clear a couple of things up for you. I am not trying to be argumentative but some code violations, including the ones you mentioned earlier are a matter of safety.

No one dislikes the NDP more than I. They did make some changes to employment standards and some other stuff that irked people, especially family farms.

Anyway, codes are Provincial not municipal. Municipalities are responsible for enforcing code. Some do an excellent job and have qualified inspectors for each of the trades. Smaller and rural municipalities may not be able to afford a qualified inspector for each trade. Some employ a "jack of all trades" for lack of a better term often via an outside permit provider.

Unfortunately, an inspector that also held a ticket in every building trade would be very expensive but in reality is nonexistent. Generally they know a lot but not everything. Most come from home building.

So yes it can be very easy to get a permit in some municipalities and even short cut codes. This can be especially true in MDs and counties. The code hasn't changed, the inspector is generally under qualified or even indifferent to the code requirements.

What is also common is trades people not getting permits. Their work is generally fine and often to code but sometimes not so much.

The reason for my post is not to belittle your understanding. Your mention of the overloaded gas line has absolutely nothing to do with Rachelle Notley and everything to do with public safety.

When you overload an electrical line you are hopefully protected by a breaker. The line gets hot and the breaker trips before any damage is done. If you overload water lines you get poor water pressure, etc.

The gas in your home has no such protection outside of a regulator to protect against too much pressure.

When you overload a gas line you run the risk of not enough gas or pressure reaching the appliance. This changes the air fuel mix and can damage appliances and create a dangerous situation. Incomplete combustion can cause dangerous build up of carbon and even exhaust back drafting in some instances.

This is most common not due to over zealous code but the opposite. Builders use the minimum size gas line required by code to keep costs down. Homeowners install new gas ranges, BBQs, on demand water etc. some requiring massive BTUs. The gas line is too small and needs to be upsized to avoid the dangerous situation mentioned above.

We have a fleet of professional gas fitters and plumbers. They do not carry around a bunch of pipe and a threader. Some do of course when working new construction or going to a job requiring gas work but most do not. The plumber showing up to install your water heater will not have a bunch of pipe and a threader in his mini van. 90% of their work is leaky taps, new fixtures, water tanks, toilets etc. etc.

Gastight is expensive and inefficient at moving gas. Most professionals avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

When a gas fitter does work to your home he is responsible for all the gas in your home. Soapy water may be fine at the one joint you are working on but a proper pressure test will detect leaks anywhere much more quickly and effectively. The inspector can simply check the gauge rather than take the word of the worker or soap up all the work himself.

I understand that it can be frustrating and expensive to have gas appliances and gas lines professionally installed in your home. It is minor in comparison to losing your home to fire or even worse endangering your family to gas, fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited by MK2750; 04-28-2024 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Let me clear a couple of things up for you. I am not trying to be argumentative but some code violations, including the ones you mentioned earlier are a matter of safety.

No one dislikes the NDP more than I. They did make some changes to employment standards and some other stuff that irked people, especially family farms.

Anyway, codes are Provincial not municipal. Municipalities are responsible for enforcing code. Some do an excellent job and have qualified inspectors for each of the trades. Smaller and rural municipalities may not be able to afford a qualified inspector for each trade. Some employ a "jack of all trades" for lack of a better term often via an outside permit provider.

Unfortunately, an inspector that also held a ticket in every building trade would be very expensive but in reality is nonexistent. Generally they know a lot but not everything. Most come from home building.

So yes it can be very easy to get a permit in some municipalities and even short cut codes. This can be especially true in MDs and counties. The code hasn't changed, the inspector is generally under qualified or even indifferent to the code requirements.

What is also common is trades people not getting permits. Their work is generally fine and often to code but sometimes not so much.

The reason for my post is not to belittle your understanding. Your mention of the overloaded gas line has absolutely nothing to do with Rachelle Notley and everything to do with public safety.

When you overload an electrical line you are hopefully protected by a breaker. The line gets hot and the breaker trips before any damage is done. If you overload water lines you get poor water pressure, etc.

The gas in your home has no such protection outside of a regulator to protect against too much pressure.

When you overload a gas line you run the risk of not enough gas or pressure reaching the appliance. This changes the air fuel mix and can damage appliances and create a dangerous situation. Incomplete combustion can cause dangerous build up of carbon and even exhaust back drafting in some instances.

This is most common not due to over zealous code but the opposite. Builders use the minimum size gas line required by code to keep costs down. Homeowners install new gas ranges, BBQs, on demand water etc. some requiring massive BTUs. The gas line is too small and needs to be upsized to avoid the dangerous situation mentioned above.

We have a fleet of professional gas fitters and plumbers. They do not carry around a bunch of pipe and a threader. Some do of course when working new construction or going to a job requiring gas work but most do not. The plumber showing up to install your water heater will not have a bunch of pipe and a threader in his mini van. 90% of their work is leaky taps, new fixtures, water tanks, toilets etc. etc.

Gastight is expensive and inefficient at moving gas. Most professionals avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

When a gas fitter does work to your home he is responsible for all the gas in your home. Soapy water may be fine at the one joint you are working on but a proper pressure test will detect leaks anywhere much more quickly and effectively. The inspector can simply check the gauge rather than take the word of the worker or soap up all the work himself.

I understand that it can be frustrating and expensive to have gas appliances and gas lines professionally installed in your home. It is minor in comparison to losing your home to fire or even worse endangering your family to gas, fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.

Part of the rural farm problem is inspectors from Lethbridge. There were all kinds of difference with different building codes in different areas of the province.
With gas one of the things i remember is a house in Lethbridge they make you build a swing pipe connection to your house. In some MDs this is not required.
I believe all mobile homes dont use a swing pipe but use a hose in either districts.
I know of home owner who had a gas fitter look at his furnace and say the 4 year old fully inspected furnace was not up to code because of a flex pipe. But this flex pipe and the whole furnace was just inspected and homeowner showed him the inspection.
Same gas fitter was going to charge him to install new shut off valves because his meter was so many yards from house it wasn't up to code because it needed shut off valves on house and meter side. Homeowner said it already has this. Gas fitter argued so home owner showed him and homeowner was right so then gas fitter says he needs a third shut off between where gas comes from meter to the house. Oh and then the gas fitter said the homeowner needed an exhaust fan over his stove.

Why would someone in a house have every gas appliance on in the house full blast all at the same time? If someone this stupid they deserve to be homeless.

I suspect province sets the base codes and towns can take these codes even farther.
Example basement windows in Lethbridge they want huge windows for fire escape which sounds great except they end up being below ground level and flood. In my MD you dont need them.

For a few years our MD took away homeowners choice in building inspectors and we ended up with Nazi inspectors on power trips. MD has since done away with this policy and no more monopoly.
I can provide endless examples of the craziness. Basically everything engineered and certified. From small fasteners to big overhead doors. You can make a bracket twice as good as a engineered one and for fraction of the cost but because you make it its no good.

Before Rachael Notley farms where exempt from all this nonsense. Built what you wanted or with electrical I could just wire it and have it inspected. Now all different.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:59 AM

Another problem is if you pull a whole house permit you have one main inspector who can have a God complex and he will start making demands about gas lines and what he wants will be different than what the actual gas inspector from the same permit company wants.
Example you have your main building inspector but you also have electrical ,sewer and gas inspectors but the main inspector wants to control everything.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:29 AM

I just replaced my tank with a 50 gallon. I also had to have a shut off valve replaced at the same time. All estimates were over $2000 and I ended up paying $2100.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:55 AM

$1200-1500 Calgary, regular atmospheric vent.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:44 AM

I have been told that the job is much faster if you can isolate and drain the old tank prior to the installer showing up, the job goes much faster (and hopefully cheaper).

The one time I did this was on a warranty claim for a Bradford White tank and it took like an hour to drain completely...I could see a bill racking up fast if a plumber had to wait while this happened.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I have been told that the job is much faster if you can isolate and drain the old tank prior to the installer showing up, the job goes much faster (and hopefully cheaper).

The one time I did this was on a warranty claim for a Bradford White tank and it took like an hour to drain completely...I could see a bill racking up fast if a plumber had to wait while this happened.
My plumber used a pump to drain the old tank quite quickly
Old 04-29-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Another problem is if you pull a whole house permit you have one main inspector who can have a God complex and he will start making demands about gas lines and what he wants will be different than what the actual gas inspector from the same permit company wants.
Example you have your main building inspector but you also have electrical ,sewer and gas inspectors but the main inspector wants to control everything.
It's a good thing you do not live in the city of Calgary; everyone has that. You will die early of stress dealing with them. They will use your tax money to fight you rather than admit their mistakes and stupidity.

All inspectors are regulated by the Safety Code Council, and they are inutile as they are. Do not bother using their appeal board.

Want to fight this clown? Hire an engineer (APPEGA Certified) for every inspection you require. This will silence these guys. It is cheaper in the long term, with stress, delays, and additional expenses.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:52 AM

I am not a plumber and I can install new hot water tank in 2 hours. $500/hr for plumber somewhat high, they are not doctors.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I am not a plumber and I can install new hot water tank in 2 hours. $500/hr for plumber somewhat high, they are not doctors.
Two men for say 2-1/2 hours including travel time to the job, and to dump the tank is 5 man hours . At $100/hr, that comes to $500.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm asking just to see what every one else is paying to have an ordinary 40 gallon hot water tank replaced,i just had put in my basement,boiler cost $1100,and the install cost $1100 so just a bit over $2200..Is this normal? This a a gas fired heater.Thanks for any input..
I had a 40 gallon hot water tank replaced this past winter. Pete the Plumber (PTP) did the work and a single guy did the whole job right around $1,000.

Of note: PTP undercut every place I called including Home Depot.....

Very courteous, took care to protect the walls and flooring, cleaned up his work area and answered all my questions regarding the warranty etc.

I am very happy with everything... A+ rating for me.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
You mean like this one? $840 at HomeDepot.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rhe...ter/1000792348

As for that install cost... not sure what to say... was it a complicated job? Hard to get at? They had to drive 4 hours each way?

ARG
Same tank,they charged 95$ for travel.the intstall was standard,except the old boiler had soldered piping the new one was all crimped.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
It's a good thing you do not live in the city of Calgary; everyone has that. You will die early of stress dealing with them. They will use your tax money to fight you rather than admit their mistakes and stupidity.

All inspectors are regulated by the Safety Code Council, and they are inutile as they are. Do not bother using their appeal board.

Want to fight this clown? Hire an engineer (APPEGA Certified) for every inspection you require. This will silence these guys. It is cheaper in the long term, with stress, delays, and additional expenses.
There was and probably still is so called contractors that were really doing bad work. Some of them clueless and others just ripping people off. The laws,permit and inspection does not protect the homeowner unless inspector is basically there everyday. Example pouring concrete or building basements. Even pressure testing a gas installation if the guy doing it doesn't do it right the inspector is just taking the guys word for it. Roofing probably worse bunch of Nimrods but anyway there are so many problems with builds and this is why government trying to make it better but it really doesn't.
Quality of work and code not necessarily the same thing. Basically every house built a generation ago won't meet today's code. I'm all for a safe house but a normal house is way better than a super duper safe house that nobody can afford. Rachael Notley government was even talking about making ceiling water suppression sprinklers mandatory for inside houses.
The building inspectors want everything prefabricated and engineered. They dont want anybody building anything.
Your not even building the building for you. You are apparently building it for the next guy who might have to get into the attic with his wheelchair. Better for you to be homeless and on the street than to live in a house that isn't 100% energy efficient. See I'm talking about buying a house from the 60s and moving it to your property. Basically they want the house to be like a new one. Sort of like if you buy a used car it would have to be up to the new emissions ,safety, fuel milage standards of a new car.
Guys in the trades have more work or jobs that they can ever do so they just price everything high and if you don't hire them it doesn't matter to them one bit.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
There was and probably still is so called contractors that were really doing bad work. Some of them clueless and others just ripping people off. The laws,permit and inspection does not protect the homeowner unless inspector is basically there everyday. Example pouring concrete or building basements. Even pressure testing a gas installation if the guy doing it doesn't do it right the inspector is just taking the guys word for it. Roofing probably worse bunch of Nimrods but anyway there are so many problems with builds and this is why government trying to make it better but it really doesn't.
Quality of work and code not necessarily the same thing. Basically every house built a generation ago won't meet today's code. I'm all for a safe house but a normal house is way better than a super duper safe house that nobody can afford. Rachael Notley government was even talking about making ceiling water suppression sprinklers mandatory for inside houses.
The building inspectors want everything prefabricated and engineered. They dont want anybody building anything.
Your not even building the building for you. You are apparently building it for the next guy who might have to get into the attic with his wheelchair. Better for you to be homeless and on the street than to live in a house that isn't 100% energy efficient. See I'm talking about buying a house from the 60s and moving it to your property. Basically they want the house to be like a new one. Sort of like if you buy a used car it would have to be up to the new emissions ,safety, fuel milage standards of a new car.
Guys in the trades have more work or jobs that they can ever do so they just price everything high and if you don't hire them it doesn't matter to them one bit.
Not true; the code grandfathers houses built on the year. You do not have to renovate your home to keep it up to the current code, which is unrealistic. If you alter /change/add, that portion must be up to the current code. Remember, the code is just the minimum required by law. Homeowners must do their due diligence on what is to be done best on their property.

Consider this scenario: many homeowners are turning to solar panel energy in the hopes of reducing their bills. However, they often overlook the fact that upgrading their insulation and windows can provide significantly greater savings. This is because many builders only meet the minimum code requirements, which may not prioritize energy efficiency. By emphasizing the potential cost savings from energy-efficient upgrades, homeowners can be motivated to consider these improvements.

Technical term: a single-ply minimum window during the build and a 3-ply window upgrade. You can see where your thermostat will be working the hardest.

Misconception : Inspectors are not required there at every stage of the building. They have a mandate according to the QMP(Quality Managed Plan) as an implementing body of the code. They are not there to be your personal quality inspector and blame if things go south. The property owner's has the sole responsibility is to hire and monitor the development within his property. It is not the government.