Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 AM

Default .223 mag I need the plug removed?

Hey guys, I just inherited some guns from my Father who passed and I have a tapco clip that will hold 30 rounds and I wanna remove it so I can take it coyote hunting, I have about 80 of the bastards in my one whitey field.... anyone know how to do that???
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
Hey guys, I just inherited some guns from my Father who passed and I have a tapco clip that will hold 30 rounds and I wanna remove it so I can take it coyote hunting, I have about 80 of the bastards in my one whitey field.... anyone know how to do that???
Is the rifle a bolt action or a semi auto? are you asking how to get the mag to hold 30 rounds?

Judging that it is a Tapco mag I would guess it is a semi-auto SKS in which case I would not go asking that info on a public forum.

LC
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM

no Its a rugger mini 14 .223 semi auto. I just want the plug out of the magazine so it will hold more shells so I can blast more yotes lol
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
no Its a rugger mini 14 .223 semi auto. I just want the plug out of the magazine so it will hold more shells so I can blast more yotes lol
If you take the plug out and are caught you face jail time for having a prohibited device.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a6

Q7. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?

A7. As set out in Criminal Code Regulations, some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:

5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
10 cartridges for most handgun magazines
A large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.

There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 09-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
If you take the plug out and are caught you face jail time for having a prohibited device.
X2.....hence the reason asking on a public forum is bad mojo

LC
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM

But if he actually has ever taken his CFSC he'd have known about the mag limit, one would think

There are no absolutes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Instead of machine gunning the heck out of them, why not invite some snipers out to help thin out the coyotes? Of course you do run the chance of them knowing where your honey hole is, so only choose guys that can keep a secret.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But if he actually has ever taken his CFSC he'd have known about the mag limit, one would think
How do people ever get a PAL without knowing something so basic?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How do people ever get a PAL without knowing something so basic?
Just a guess, but I'd bet more than a half sack, that he was given the rifle by the Executor who knows nothing about firearms or the laws surrounding them, and he's maybe 15 yrs old.

Go take the CFSC buddy, and get your PAL.
Then go hammer on those yoddel dogs.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM

What ever happened to one shot one kill? If you take your time and worry about shot placement, a 5 round mag will be more than plenty to wage war on your pests. Plus it doesn't take all that long to change mags out of a mini 14.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 PM

YIKES! That was just a hypothetical question right...
At least he wasnt asking if he could convert something to full auto as well.

Best thing to do is to make each shot placement count. 5 at a time is plenty for yotes. That gives you 5 if your great shot. Practice lots.

Its better for the coyotes having a quick one shot then spray and pray where you may wound them. Its also better for you for whitetail season too because you know how to control the nerves and make your shots count.

Not to say less jail time so you can keep enjoying your rifle and whitetail season.

Or if you need help then invite a guy or two out. I have a 223 and wouldnt mind a few yotes and have my own honey hole for whitetails so they are all yours after too.

Last edited by freeride; 09-14-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 PM

That would have been the next question,............
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Just drill the rivet head off and push the pin out.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Banned

Trollpost.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 PM

Old 09-15-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Trollpost.
You got that right