Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post

The question asked was about the best manufactured rod. Clearly, a lot of rods made today are not well built.
And the Sage performance issue is very strange. You would have thought that after 25 years
of production they would have got real close to being "right on" with the tapers but year after year new models are produced suggesting that the performance just isn't there yet.
Don

Don,

You can do much better than that, materials and composite technology advances in the last 25 years has been astronomical. Everytime a new change in the blank material or an addition/subtraction of materials is made the previous design will be need to be changed. That is a basic development process of any technological improvements in all manufaturing.

Let's try your arguement with a few changes:

And the Ford performance issue is very strange. You would have thought that after 100+ years
of production they would have got real close to being "right on" with the cars but year after year new models are produced suggesting that the performance just isn't there yet.

Or

And the Samsung performance issue is very strange. You would have thought that after 15 years
of production they would have got real close to being "right on" with the phones but year after year new models are produced suggesting that the performance just isn't there yet.

Ridiculous, right?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Good to know. Didn't realize it was so off kilter, just wanted to pass on some knowledge from some people with more experience than myself
There is still some very interesting info that comes out of the Shootout but it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I look forward to it every year.

The rods they rave about are generally very good rods and any rod in the review is worthy of consideration.

I purchased a Hardy Zenith based on the Shootout results although I verified their review with other sources. It is an awesome rod but a bit slower than they had portrayed.

The Z-Axis also ruled the Shootout for a couple of years and it is my favorite rod to date.

The Loop Opi rod looks very impressive. It placed second and at $500 +/- it is no doubt a very nice rod and a good value. Imagine the Loop folk's surprise when their flag ship rod the S1 ($1000+) was found unworthy to even be entered in the Shootout.

Mystic suffered the same fate with their economy rod out doing their number one.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Default Do we think the fish care?

A decent rod sported by a decent fisherman will provide lots of joy and success.

I mentioned to a friend of mine who shoots a 12000$ shotgun, "I don't think the ducks will salute if they are shot by yours
, (vs. my 'cheap' browning). My ducks fall out of the sky just the same...

Each rod is different. Warrantee is valuable. Performance is so much more based on fisherman skill than manufacturing...

just my 2 bits...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post

I'll throw one out for starters.......Sage Z-Axis
Really? That's a TERRIBLE rod for a neophyte salmon fisherman.

You get my point. "best" is the nexus of purpose and cost+resources (VALUE) multiplied by skill.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Jay had,

You are quite right - ridiculous it was.

But like it or not, the best components, cork & fittings and skillfully finished rods are only available from small shops.

Back to the question: which rods are the best manufactured today.

Clearly, there is only one answer.

While I'd like to continue this Sage advert. there are fish to be caught and I intend to giver till it snows.
Now back to regular programming driven by the largest ad in the FF rag.

Bye,

Don
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM

I typically do not like to get into the which rod is best debates,,,, but having done a lot of saltwater fishing over the past few years where the demands on the tackle are much greater than freshwater angling, the performance of the Hardy Proaxis X one piece rods deserve mention.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM

I have many rods from different manufacturers between 2wt and 11wt and the 2 piece Sage 490 with an IR1 is a favorite. I do like the z axis more than the "ones", and have two of the ones. 3 wt/2 piece T&T with a very small Teton is 2nd. That being said the reel you use with the rod must balance well with the rod to get the best from the rod. You can also make or break a rods action by the line you choose too. Maybe that's why we have such conflicting stories amongst users of the same rod? One guy loves it the next says it's rebar. I also believe the dealer you do business with is very important too. The flyshop I frequent is primarily a Sage dealer but if they changed I would at least buy 1 of their newest, latest, greatest.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Nobody likes loomis? I've never owned one personally but I like a lot of the work they put into rods. Nice wraps, top of the line guides, etc.
LOVE my Pro4x 9wt, so thin and light but all the backbone you need for salmon/stealhead and a cannon to cast, great value iyam, I want one in a 5wt.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM

I have a couple Gloomis and really enjoy them. 7wt, 11' glx switch and a 9wt 14' glx dredger. It's all about what feel you like and the water your fishing.
My rods might not feel right for everyone.
Fibreglass is fun too!
I was fly fishing a river once and another fisherman
Was there and he insisted I try his Sage which was way underlined,
I had to make 10 false casts to get anywhere.
I went back to my Colton and double hauled twice
And made a 60' cast! It's all about what feels good and makes you enjoy fishing
So it could be any brand really!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Smile

I have fished with my 9ft 5wt hardy zenith all season.It appears to me flawless in manufacture.I have used a dt sharkskin,a rio gold,a gpx and a sink tip,even with my limited ability it handled all these lines very well.