Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Default caroline area.....need advice...

Ill be staying with a buddy in the town of thorsby this weekend and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation around the area of sundre or caroline....or even a bit further west. Ill be driving home to calgary. Im not looking for any secret spots but i dont know the area well. I mostly fish crowsnest area. anyway...

since some of the areas are open april first and im off Monday.....might as well get some flyfishing in on the way back home. I was gunna try james river...but after reading that seems bad....maybe clearwater?
Ill just nymph i guess.....

tnx

happy
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 PM

A little early. In 2 or 3 weeks will be perfect.

Good chance the streams are going to be running high and dirty with runoff now. Maybe the north Raven also known as Stauffer east of Caroline would be ok. Smaller creeks with beaver dams for brookies maybe are running lighter.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM

All streams crossed coming north from Calgary to Rocky Mtn. House were dirty last Friday Some still ice covered.

Don
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM

booooooooo. LOL but tnx.....i was thinking red deer river.....but...now if run off has started im SOL for a while i guess....

tnx tho!!!
happg
Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Clearwater

Anyone know what is the state of the Clearwater, upstream by Cutoff Creek area?

Wap
Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
booooooooo. LOL but tnx.....i was thinking red deer river.....but...now if run off has started im SOL for a while i guess....

tnx tho!!!
happg
Actually, it is just the local snow melt that is bringing water up. Mountain runoff doesn't really start until June. After the snow is melted the streams will clear up for late April/early May.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:

tnx tho!!!
happg
This is just the terrestrial melt. If it stays dry, the round will soak up most of the water. It will only take a week or so for the rivers to return to normal.
Proper runoff does not usually affect the rivers until the end of May.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM

hi guys...i just talked with a red deer fly shop and he said the RDR is a bit muddy...but fishable....so im gunna give it a shot around the sundre are on monday....ill report back how i do and conditions.

tnx
all

happy
Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 AM

The feral horses will be frolicking near Cutoff Creek and the Clearwater River is probably very clear. Roads could be very slippery in the shady places. Tight lines!

Finger
Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Heading to the clearwater this weekend. Hopefully it's running clear and we can access it. Just excited to get out! I'll report back how it goes.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM

the Clearwater at the rig street bridge was clear cold and low looks like it mite be good fishing good luck
Old 04-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Thanks JDK! Some rain in the forecast so hopefully it doesn't muddy the waters much. Hoping for an early catch on my 2019/20 license! I'm not an experienced fly fisher though but going with someone who knows a spot somewhere - not sure where.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:54 PM

clear water eh? maybe i should try that over the RDR for whites.....whatcha all think if you had a choice?

tnx

happy
Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM

ohhh and any recommendations on flies to use too!!!

lol

happy
Old 04-08-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
clear water eh? maybe i should try that over the RDR for whites.....whatcha all think if you had a choice?

tnx

happy
In my experience...

The red deer river upstream of glennifer lake has a variety. Closer to Sundre has brookies, browns, rockies and bulls. Snakes Head Natural area. Lots of walking to some good water. Be bear smart.

The Clearwater in the Cheddarville Natural area... not many holes but a few bulls.

Streamers or match the hatch. Take a spin cast along too for spinners and rapalas.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM

fished the RDR for a few hours....not even a bite. But i do suck so maybe its just me. about 20" of water clarity.....i dunno. Ill wait a bit for the run off to happen as the banks of ice are still melting.
but nice to get out anyway....

happy