Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
X2
X3. Never heard of him !
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM

I wouldn’t of known his name unless associated with the hip, now he’s a household name. A guy doesn’t realize how much of there music you listened to till they played there songs yesterday! There’s lots of good ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I was with a group of 5 people from our Calgary office the other day and mention Ian Tyson; not one of them knew who he was. Ages ranges from 25-45.
Shut the front door! I’m not at 40 yet and I’ve seen the man twice in concert. My one buddy took his guitar to get autographed as it was a small venue.

“I can’t sign your guitar. That would be sacrilegious”. And he didn’t. I loved it!

Loved The Hip and their music. I echo previous sentiments about not being a fan of the political leanings as well but I feel that way about a great many performers/celebrities etc. Most likely they wouldn’t care for some of my opinions either. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the music.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 PM

Listening to the radio the last couple days I learned that some songs I had always thought were sung by the Barenaked Ladies turn out to have been the Tragically Hip. Neither did much for me. My favorite Canadian Band was April Wine.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Listening to the radio the last couple days I learned that some songs I had always thought were sung by the Barenaked Ladies turn out to have been the Tragically Hip. Neither did much for me. My favorite Canadian Band was April Wine.
April wine is awsome, seen them only once and oowatanight...I think they played with chillawack that night..
Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Lol, no it's a lot more crude
Big Pond?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
April wine is awsome, seen them only once and oowatanight...I think they played with chillawack that night..
Ahhhhh memories of youth!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Banned

Default Guess Who

All I know for Canadian bands are the Guess Who from Winnipeg and some Chilliwack.

" American Woman stay away from me"

Never cared for this new music.

69 to 79 best music of all.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
I heard on the news when he was diagnosed with brain cancer and, I thought, "Must be some unknown rock singer from down east". Then, when he died, the event seemed to be bigger than when Elvis or the last Pope died. We have the PM almost in tears when talking about it, it's on the news continually, and they are saying all of Canada is in mourning and that he should have a state funeral.

Now I have lived in Canada for 75 years, been to every province and resided in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia and if you said who is Gord Downie? My answer would have to be, "Never heard of him".

Not to be disrespectful but, maybe it's just not my generation.
Same here. Its a shame, he ment so much to so many people and i imagine they are grevieing. But i could not pick him from a line up. Personally a state funeral is reserved for people of a churchill level or for a more canadian case terry fox. Great singer but not a world changer. With saying that my condolances to anyone greiving
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM

As of late Gord Downie was trying to use his celebrity status to be a liason to the first nations in terms of reconcilliation.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Default A few thoughts

I really love the hip, it’s great Canadian music and we need that. I am pretty far from super fan but it seems like he exited this world and lived with a lot of class.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Been a hip fan since I first heard New Orleans is sinking not a big surprise if you followed the band at all that he was dying rest in peace

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM

the hip have a few good tunes imo.if Gord Downey gets a state funeral i think Mr.Leahy should get one too...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Old 10-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Just watching the long time coming The Tragically Hip

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
As of late Gord Downie was trying to use his celebrity status to be a liason to the first nations in terms of reconcilliation.
some female polatition tried that look were it got her .I agreed with her (give up your treaty card and become a contributing member of society not a burden).
not so much this gord fellow that was following the flavour of the day (here is more money)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I would be more upset with the passing of Gord Lightfoot and I am the same age as Downie.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed much of his music but these references to a Canadian Shakespeare and the PM crying on live TV is a little out there.

Rush has sold an estimated 40 million albums for example and I doubt the country identify them as iconic.
I've always maintained Gordon Lightfoot is the best Canadian singer/songwriter we have ever seen. Hint....songs showing his best "writing" were never big hits.
Gord Downie couldn't hold a candle for Gordon Lightfoot. Different era so I won't expect anyone under 50 to agree.

and....what leader(?) of a G7 country blubbers in front of the news cameras about a lost entertainer?...pathetic. State funeral?...come on.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 AM

I never understood the term "hater" before as used online.
This thread explained it to me.

Regardless of who it is, i can't fathom speaking ill of the deceased. Let them rest.

Gord touched almost everyone in his music. Piece of his soul in each song. If your not in touch with that, your loss.

Hint: lightfoot and downie jammed together recently, and had a mutual respect for each other.
Some people are way out of touch with life.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

Regardless of who it is, i can't fathom speaking ill of the deceased. Let them rest.

Gord touched almost everyone in his music. Piece of his soul in each song. If your not in touch with that, your loss.

Hint: lightfoot and downie jammed together recently, and had a mutual respect for each other.
Some people are way out of touch with life.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Never really heard of him either until he got diagnosed with cancer. My thoughts are there are many other Canadians that are dying of cancer or have died of cancer and I'm not so sure that he is any different then any one of them.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Shut the front door! I’m not at 40 yet and I’ve seen the man twice in concert. My one buddy took his guitar to get autographed as it was a small venue.

“I can’t sign your guitar. That would be sacrilegious”. And he didn’t. I loved it!

Loved The Hip and their music. I echo previous sentiments about not being a fan of the political leanings as well but I feel that way about a great many performers/celebrities etc. Most likely they wouldn’t care for some of my opinions either. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the music.
I met him to hes a jerk. Now bruce cockburn theres a gem. Dont care for his politucs but he can carry a tune. Also call me weird but how do people get so invested in celebrities? I cant say ive ever felt particualrly sad when one passes or at least no more than when anyone else i dont know does.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:11 AM

I have never heard of Gord Downie until I saw this thread!

I am well aware of Tragically Hip though and even have a CD somewhere; it was in the used vehicle I bought among the other six CDs in the player and the seller have never gotten back to me about picking them up along with his driver's license (which I mailed to his address anyway). I was not particularly interested in that disk, but they do have a few tunes I enjoy.

I have no idea who most of the other famous people mentioned in this thread are either.

Either way, RIP.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I met him to hes a jerk. Now bruce cockburn theres a gem. Dont care for his politucs but he can carry a tune. Also call me weird but how do people get so invested in celebrities? I cant say ive ever felt particualrly sad when one passes or at least no more than when anyone else i dont know does.
Don't know about the jerk part but I agree with the rest. It has become pop culture and politically correct for society to openly mourn and make a spectacle of celebrity deaths. People crying over famous people they really know nothing about except the persona they put on in public and in front of the media. I guess in this age of media not acknowledging real heroes that give their lives for the public, or the great innovators who bring us miracle cures, or great inventors or benevolent world leaders the media instead focuses on entertainers to be our heroes and the gullible public trips all over themselves worshiping them and they have done nothing but speak a few scripted words for a charity, organization or some cause they probably don't know much about except they are being cast as a talking head to represent whatever the cause of the day is. Its a sad time alright goes to show how screwed up societys priorities are.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't know about the jerk part but I agree with the rest. It has become pop culture and politically correct for society to openly mourn and make a spectacle of celebrity deaths. People crying over famous people they really know nothing about except the persona they put on in public and in front of the media. I guess in this age of media not acknowledging real heroes that give their lives for the public, or the great innovators who bring us miracle cures, or great inventors or benevolent world leaders the media instead focuses on entertainers to be our heroes and the gullible public trips all over themselves worshiping them and they have done nothing but speak a few scripted words for a charity, organization or some cause they probably don't know much about except they are being cast as a talking head to represent whatever the cause of the day is. Its a sad time alright goes to show how screwed up societys priorities are.
Apparently you haven’t seen people cry over Elvis or the beatles, it’s not new and it’s not social media, you should watch the tragically hip special “long time running” CBC just put out they have a good part of the surgeon who performed his brain surgery who kept the hips last tour alive, you want to give a pat on the back for the unspoken people? Typical Canadians they did it for everyone involved. You probably have no idea who that brain surgeon was and neither did I, but I do now and exactly what you’re crying about is exactly what the show did, acknowledged those people so maybe pump your own tires on another thread I guess?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

X2. Very disappointing reaction from many here, for a lot of reasons.

Great post.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Apparently you haven’t seen people cry over Elvis or the beatles, it’s not new and it’s not social media, you should watch the tragically hip special “long time running” CBC just put out they have a good part of the surgeon who performed his brain surgery who kept the hips last tour alive, you want to give a pat on the back for the unspoken people? Typical Canadians they did it for everyone involved. You probably have no idea who that brain surgeon was and neither did I, but I do now and exactly what you’re crying about is exactly what the show did, acknowledged those people so maybe pump your own tires on another thread I guess?
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's almost like the media randomly picks a favorite, usually a politician or celebrity or someone who lived a charmed life and makes a big media play about them. You brought up Mr. Downies oncologist, just another example of who society makes famous, what about all the other brain surgeons who keep regular people alive doing exactly the same thing? Are they not as special as the one who got to work on the famous person? All I'm saying is there are plenty of unsung heroes out there just as deserving but nobody notices unless media makes them a hero

Obviously I picked the wrong thread to air the inequalities of how society picks heroes. Not trying to discredit Gord Downie, he was a good man.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
never was a fan of them or him, and its almost annoying he is considered Canada's treasure or something similar like that by so many people. i couldn't even listen to the radio yesterday as every station was playing something by them and his voice just puts me off. avoided facebook as well as every 2nd post by someone was something about him. dont hate them, just didn't care.
my thoughts exactly.
its like he invented gravity....im sure there are lots of people pass away everyday that contributed more to the betterment of society that fade to anonymity than a pop culture figure.
if (kim kardashian or equivalent) passed away suddenly this thread probably wouldn't appear....just sayin'

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
never was a fan of them or him, and its almost annoying he is considered Canada's treasure or something similar like that by so many people. i couldn't even listen to the radio yesterday as every station was playing something by them and his voice just puts me off. avoided facebook as well as every 2nd post by someone was something about him. dont hate them, just didn't care.
I agree with this 100%. I really don't care for his music and am pretty sick of all the attention this has garnered. Even my son, who is a big fan of his, says the aftermath of his dealth has been over blown.

Oh well, time marches on. And it's mainly the CBC that's embellishing his death for their own furtherence.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM

I'm a geezer, but I like the Hip and do feel that they are one of the more important bands in Canadian music history. However, I think the Gord Downie hero worship has gone way overboard. It's been going for a year now, ever since his diagnosis was revealed. I fear the CBC and Trudeau will declare him the most important person in Canadian history. This at a time when Sir John A. MacDonald is being trashed and having his name and image pulled off everything imaginable. Sad.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Big fan here but Gord doesn’t deserve a state funeral nor star status.

It’s really too bad but we need to move on.

PCFGA on Facebook