Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Was thinking of hitting the Bow (probably @ Glenmore) on Wed after work (would do Thurs, with the forecast, but will be working late). If anybody's wanting to get together for a couple of hours, let me know.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Keen to Fly

Hey all, just signed up and glad to see that there is a thread like this one that is already up and going.

Just moved from Australia. (No, not working up in the ski hills)

I visited Calgary at least once a year for the last 6 years as this is my Wife's home town. I have had some success on a few floats from Country Pleasures with my father in law who got me hooked on the fly.

Back in Oz, I was a bait fisherman as it enabled me to have one spare hand for a beer. Chased big red snapper, sharks and anything else that made the Rod Buckle.

I started to fly fish both salt and fresh back home and had some luck. A few small brown trout from pocket stream and some Australian salmon using some self tied clousers. Knowing that I was moving here, I saved myself until I got here where the real action is.

My Fly boxes are full and tippet is tied, I am keen to get some local knowledge and to find some new water. (and fish)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Default fishin buddy

I'm going out to the tay river west of caroline either wensday or thursday probly stay out for a week or so (weather permitting) doin the hike in/camping in the rough thing any one interested i'll see ya out there! gonna be a blast! fished the tay last year landed about 10 brookies in 4 hours....(beer slowed me down) lol but good times, good eats.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

I anyone wants to do some fishing this weekend let me know !
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM

A flyfishing partner... or several would be awesome. If anyone is planning any trips and does not mind someone who is still learning quite a bit, let me know
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

heading out for a couple hours this afternoon to fish creek if anyone wants to join
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Exclamation

Wanting to head south and fish a couple lakes this weekend perhaps, let me know if you are interested. Will bring the tube just incase the wind is down
Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Fishing the bow tonight
And all day tomorrow if anyone wants to join
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM

great thread ,I am also after a long stretch of denying myself this great pastime getting the itch to get back into flyfishing, this spring I invested in a Jackson coosa fishing kayak which should be here any day and found some replacement bladders to get both of my Caddis Navigators back in the water, ive got a couple teenage kids and their not much going with the old guy so always open for some company.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Around Edmonton

Hey everyone. I'm extremely new to fly fishing but have been out twice now and I seem to be able to cast out. I haven't caught anything yet though and really need to tag along with someone with at least a bit more experience than myself. I'm free today and willing to drive a ways outside of Edmonton to meet up. Let me know if you're getting out! Oh, and I have a 9' 6wt setup. .
Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Turns out I have tomorrow (Tuesday) off as well. Anyone wanna get out?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Hey guys and girls. New to the forum.

I'm working in Fort Mac on a 14\7 rotation. We get back at the hotel on Sundays by 3pm and all other days by 5.30pm. Ample fishing time!!!! So.....I'm looking for someone to buddy up with. Back in BC I pretty much fish with anyone; Im not shy!

I have my 8 and 9wt rods with me on this trip and am looking to chuck big flies at pike and walleye and maybe a laker . I have less than two years experience fly fishing but I can put a line out there. I've fished river, lakes and tropical salt in Hawaii, Kauai and Mexico with more trips lined up. I can't get enough and gagging for June 1st!

If anyone is interested reply to my post. If you fish gear it really doesn't bother me.

I'm looking to catch specific species.

Thanks for your time,

Van
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Hey guys and girls. New to the forum.

I'm working in Fort Mac on a 14\7 rotation. We get back at the hotel on Sundays by 3pm and all other days by 5.30pm. Ample fishing time!!!! So.....I'm looking for someone to buddy up with. Back in BC I pretty much fish with anyone; Im not shy!

I have my 8 and 9wt rods with me on this trip and am looking to chuck big flies at pike and walleye and maybe a laker . I have less than two years experience fly fishing but I can put a line out there. I've fished river, lakes and tropical salt in Hawaii, Kauai and Mexico with more trips lined up. I can't get enough and gagging for June 1st!

If anyone is interested reply to my post. If you fish gear it really doesn't bother me.

I'm looking to catch specific species.

Thanks for your time,

Van
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Default June 1 outing

Bow is blown out. So I guess it's a pond or lake somewhere. Anyone looking to get a trip in? Flat the pontoon somewhere? Ironside. Beaver. Birch. Location don't matter.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Decided to hit Nakoda Lodge or what used to be Nakoda Lodge think it's a treatment center of some kind mow. They still change 25 a head to fish and have had some anglers pull out a few nice ones this past week or so they tell me anyways. I have got some real nice rainbows out if there in the past few years. And it's never busy. Mist times got the lake to myself. Room in the truck for another guy and his pontoon.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 PM

If there is anybody looking for a partner around wetaskiwin just give me a shout. I only have a year of fly fishing under my belt so I am a beginner but promise to stay out of your way! I would be willing to travel to meet up with somebody! Really need a partner as I am the only person I know who fly fishes. Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM

anyone headed out this afternoon? Prob gonna head to upper k
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Thinking of going out this evening somewhere in or around St. Albert (pond or river). If anyone wants to join or show me a decent spot (I only do catch an release) and a thing or 2. This will be my 3rd time fly fishing so I still have lots to work on.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Thinking of hiking in to Mary Gregg some time tomorrow with the float tube ive got room for 1 if anybody is interested pm me
Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 AM

Anyone headed out in or around calgary today?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Looking to fly fish this weekend.
Any want to do a day trip or overnight trip?
Even a hike in trip?
I'm in leduc. Have truck.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM

im heading to morinville pond today between 12 and 1 to putts around and see whats out there, if anyone want to join pm me. im in st albert
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM

I have a boat, motor, trailer, truck and some fishing gear. Looking for fellow fishermen similarly equipped. I prefer not to always supply the truck, the motor, the boat, etc. I also prefer not to always accompany someone with a truck, motor, boat, etc. I looking for those who want to share. Sometimes we take my stuff, other times we take yours. Please respond by PM.

Bobby B.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 PM

hey guys lookin for a fly fishin partner .catch and release only. I live in Airdrie and i'm still learning the area.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Good day folks. New to the forum but not new to fly fishing/tying. Always interested in meeting up for a cast or two. Fairly new to Alberta (2yrs)and having a b**** of a time finding some good fishing spots. Discovered the FTR in May and was blown away at how nice the water was there, living in Edmonton mostly everything is baby crap brown and smells about the same. Fished Atlantics for 10 yrs back in NB and now breaking my teeth on the troutski's. Beer and scotch are always in my backpack for the hikes, along with a couple left handed cigarettes. Got all the gear needed, definitely a river rat and prefer to stay that way.

Any with the same thoughts and interests, shoot a PM. Got the gf into the tying and fishing this year too so finding another couple would be great as well.

Either way, always up for a fish.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM

I am looking for some fly fishermen or girls. Haven't fly fished for 10 years, but the virus got me again. So far I have just a #9 combo, but I plan to buy one for creeks/trout as well.

I don't have a boat and no spots here in Alberta, I am from Germany.

When somebody wants to go out with a boat, float tube/pontoon boat or from the shore and need some company, just let me know I am in Edmonton.

Jakob
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Anyone want to get out this week? I know due to highway and river conditions we would be very limited, but I think there is still some very fishable water within a few hours of calgary.

If not, even to go check out some areas if its safe to do so. Let me know.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 PM

looking to head out to one of the ponds in/around town first this tomorrow morning. wouldn't mind some company/some pointers... i'm still figuring this whole thing out.
can pick up if close to st albert or on the way to witch ever pond or meet there... i'm thinking either cardiff or hermitage, i'm open to suggestions of other spots to try too.
been skunked my last couple times out so i'm itching to get something on the hook
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Default .

This is exactly what i am looking for i am makeing the move to calgary in a couple of weeks and would be looking to head out on the bow asap. i am new to fly fishing so would love to go with some of the pros on here for a cast and a days fishing. if anyone is up for it let me no. or is there any fishing clubs in Calgary ?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 AM

Is anybody off or interested in fishing this Wednesday? I was thinking of leaving super early in the morning (leave Calgary prob between 4-5 am...maybe earlier) and fishing Police Outpost all day long. You would need a float tube or boat of some kind though. Im not 100 percent sure if im doing this yet but pm me if interested.
Thanks!