Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Carbondale

Gonna hit up the Carbondale for a couple days. I've never been there though fish the surrounding area annually. Gotta fish one new area per yr, this has been my vow since day one. Haven't been able to get out much this year but better late then never. Thinking Caddis, BWO, and hoppers for top water. Boatmen and the usual suspects for submerged. Bring along the streamers should I see potential Bully waters, though I hear this riv is highly Cutty predominant. Any early autumn tips for this late post as I leave tomorrow? Hope everyone had a safe and fishfull summer!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 AM

Nothing. What a shame. Thankfully other resources have chimed in. Stay safe folks. Chow.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Lots of bullies in there. They are going to be stacking up somewhere..... time of year.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Deep nymphing for suckers One of my earlier fly fishing experiences a few years back was on this stretch, and I caught a decent sized sucker on a bh prince. I was so new to fly fishing that I was still thrilled by this catch. It really was a beautiful fish, in spite of their reputation. These days I would be hard-pressed to fish anything subsurface there unless chasing bullies, as I have developed some slight dry-fly snobishness.

While I haven't been out there this year myself, I am drawing parallels from waters near it. Hoppers are tailing off quickly, as we've had some cold nights down here; may still be some lingering imprinting (Hank Patterson would argue that so for sure!). I've had more success with ants late this year than hoppers, but maybe that's just me. I was a bit surprised at the diversity of bugs in the air yesterday on the southern piece of water I was on. Primarily multiple species of mayflies & midges, but others as well. Bottom line, I don't think you are too far off at all. Not sure you will read this in time, but have a great trip. Now back to paper pushing at work <envious>.