Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Newby question. Would you go 130 or 150 grain partition in a 270win?
130 thats the weight combo for the 270...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM

For what it's worth the 7mm 120 nosler ballistic tip has an extremely heavy tapered jacket.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Keep things simple 140gr Partition for all big game.
Yep, no game will know the difference between being shot with a 140 or a 150, it's far better to have a reliable point of aim from only having to commit one bullet drop to memory. Trade the 150's you have for more 140's, unless you're also loading for 7mm Rem Mag or something else.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
For what it's worth the 7mm 120 nosler ballistic tip has an extremely heavy tapered jacket.
"Extremely"?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yep, no game will know the difference between being shot with a 140 or a 150, it's far better to have a reliable point of aim from only having to commit one bullet drop to memory. Trade the 150's you have for more 140's, unless you're also loading for 7mm Rem Mag or something else.
Exactly! I only load one load for each rifle, so one zero, and one trajectory to learn. I have been present when peoole that have multiple loads for a rifle got confused and made poor shots as a result. One individual had three different loads in his pocket, and was not even aware of it.

As for the 120 grain ballistic tip, it basically has the same jacket as the 140gr ballistic tip, with the thin from section cut off. This came about because the metallic silhouette shooters wanted a tougher 120gr bullet.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Try 140 gr Barnes with H4350. This combo works great in both the 7-08's in our house.
The wife has her anterless moose this year and that is what she will be using.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Bullet pick

Of that selection, the partitions. Either weight for either animal. To the 270 question, 130s or 140s. For sure don't overlook the barnes bullets if you are going to pick other ones. Of the ones you have, I'd try both of them with different powders and shoot the ones that shoot the best.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:43 PM

Loaded up the 140s over some RL-15 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, but have shot quite a few animals over the years.

Seems to me, particularly on deer, if you are using a fast cartridge (like in my case a 257 WBY) you have to go up in bullet weight to avoid massive meat damage on those shots where you may not get a good look at the sweet spot (quartering towards you as one example). Just so much energy and speed there if you hit some shoulder it's going to be carnage (even on shots out to 200 yards). Unfortunately it took me a few deer and an antelope to figure this out.

Sure you have to load up what shoots well, but you have to consider grain weight if you are shooting something like that (fast) and really think about what you are shooting.

I literally went back to my .308 after that and there was significantly less damage (obviously going up 40-50 or more grains in bullet weight).

I don't know if that make logical sense - but that's what I saw anyways.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but have shot quite a few animals over the years.

Seems to me, particularly on deer, if you are using a fast cartridge (like in my case a 257 WBY) you have to go up in bullet weight to avoid massive meat damage on those shots where you may not get a good look at the sweet spot (quartering towards you as one example). Just so much energy and speed there if you hit some shoulder it's going to be carnage (even on shots out to 200 yards). Unfortunately it took me a few deer and an antelope to figure this out.

Sure you have to load up what shoots well, but you have to consider grain weight if you are shooting something like that (fast) and really think about what you are shooting.

I literally went back to my .308 after that and there was significantly less damage (obviously going up 40-50 or more grains in bullet weight).

I don't know if that make logical sense - but that's what I saw anyways.
Bullet construction is even more important than bullet weight. A monometal like the Barnes TTSX typically does far less damage than the Ballistic Tip.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 PM

My vote would be 140 partition as my first choice, 145 interlock 2nd, 150 partition 3rd purely based on bullet. That being said each gun likes certain bullets more and you might group tighter with one over the other. I like both the partition and interlocks and went by the lighter bullet weights for flatter shooting.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Stick a 140 Partition in the lungs and get out the skinning knives!
Cat
X 2.....I have never had Partitions one not perform ....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 AM

Used the 140 Partition in my 7-08 since I got it in 87, it works just fine. I have smoked shoulders on deer with hitting the joint on a hard quartering frontal shot, doubt if it matters what bullet you use, it'll likely do that. Never had any issues with it on moose, either, I did recover one in the hide, on the offside, on a partial quartering shot on a moose, hit a rib in and a rib out on that one, 11-1200lb bull, only one I have ever recovered, from that gun. That bullet has never given me a hint of a reason to change from it.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Used the 140 Partition in my 7-08 since I got it in 87, it works just fine. I have smoked shoulders on deer with hitting the joint on a hard quartering frontal shot, doubt if it matters what bullet you use, it'll likely do that. Never had any issues with it on moose, either, I did recover one in the hide, on the offside, on a partial quartering shot on a moose, hit a rib in and a rib out on that one, 11-1200lb bull, only one I have ever recovered, from that gun. That bullet has never given me a hint of a reason to change from it.
Exactly, my son has taken more game with this bullet, moose to yotes and I tell ya it's a deadly combination, after kicking around with my 7mm STW for years
I would if I was in the market buy a nice lefty rifle in the 7-08 and never look back....ever.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...